1/72 Bristol Sycamore

I just finished this build yesterday, the WIP can be found here. In the interior I added lead foil seat belts with PE buckles from my spares box. The rear passenger seats are scratch build from brass tube, rod and lead foil with braces from black nylon fishing line. All the cockpit controls are scratch-built:

P1150016_zpsra5otw5t.jpg

The pilot's steps are also scratch built from brass rod and sheet. I cut out the spare kit doors so they could be posed in an open position:

P1150017_zpslim9vxcg.jpg

The door handles and sliders are also scratch made:

P1150018_zpsbiigtruq.jpg

Hard to photograph but the instruments are done individually with Mike Grant decals:

P1150019_zpsuteqcczr.jpg

The wipers are also scratch built form scrap PE, the pitot tube is made from nickel silver tubes:

P1150020_zpsrtbidng0.jpg

The tail skid is also from scratch in brass:

P1150021_zpshfnpfyxt.jpg

P1150022_zpskoeofe76.jpg

All the undercarriage legs have been replaced with brass rod, brake lines and wires to the navigation lights are lead wire, the air scoop is scratch made as I lost the kit part:

P1150023_zpsii5uzeus.jpg

The roof handles and white hoist brace are also added details:

P1150025_zpsi0t3hnkp.jpg

A fair bit of the rest of the hoist is also scratch built:

P1150026_zpsrktrv89t.jpg

P1150027_zpsjnpuetmv.jpg

P1150028_zpscobpxgg8.jpg

P1150029_zpswhm6ynuw.jpg

I hope you like it.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 58

Very nice neat finish. Whilst I am always happy to heap praise and suggest any model for Telford's competition table, I can only do that if they are 100% accurate.

In this case, the shade of blue is not quite right and appears to be finished in Humbrol French Blue, or similar. RAN Sycamores were painted in 'Oxford Blue', a much darker shade, nearly 'Navy Blue'.

• Like 1

You are correct, the blue is Humbrol 14 as per recommended by the kit instructions. The actual shade is a bit darker but I wouldn't say by that much. I felt it was close enough plus the preshading does darken it a touch.

• Like 3

Another little cracker Nigel, great build thread to bring it to life again too!  The blue might not be quite right, but I think it looks great - just say it's faded under the hot Aussie sun!

Keith

• Like 3

Magnificent as ever Nigel. I won't dwell over each and every addition (there are too many!), but the key things for me are opening up the doors, added handles and rails, cockpit detailing and natural looking belts, sharp canopy masking, rotor detailing and transfers decals, the winch and a kick-bottom colour scheme!. Usual informative and interesting build thread plus nice recipes. Looking forward to seeing this at Telford.

• Like 2

Absolutely lovely finish to it and another interesting / educational build thread too!

Great work Nigel!

She just needs a photo with a paint pot alongside, to show the scale of work that has gone into the build (imho).

Edited by hairystick
  • Like 1

You've come up with another fantastic build once again. For anyone who missed the WIP- it's a must read.  I know what ever your next build is, it will be just as amazing if not better (if that is possible, but even with your outstanding modelling skills, each new build is even more amazing than the last.) However, many of us hope it will have a fire extingusher. 🤔

Lou in Utah

Edited by louiex2
  • Like 1

One of the pleasures of being away from the forum for a while is coming back to see how such fantastic work has developed into a real Blue Beauty.

Bravo Nigel!

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this build with us Nigel. It's been a pleasure and very interesting.

Incredible attention to detail and great techniques; the result is a superb Sycamore to be very proud of.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

She just needs a photo with a paint pot alongside, to show the scale of work that has gone into the build 

Good idea, here it is:

P1150040_zpsmbnj7m06.jpg

My next build can be found here.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Hello Nigel,

I really enjoyed the WiP and here she is !

Brilliant, I really like that Sycamore, pretty nice paint scheme too

And is she going to compete in the beer mat contest ?? she is so tiny...

Congratulations.

Corsaircorp

One more Navy bird, a real pleasure !

• Like 1