I had to do a Hurricane.

stevej60

Hi folk's, I had this set of decal's and mask's from a few year's ago and as I'm into a 1/32 groove at the moment not very likely to use them so this

GB and just over a fiver for Airfix's great little kit time to go small again,should be fun as the codes need to be painted on.Here's the box and decal's.

20170708_171917

And the now well known contents.

20170708_172123

• Like 10

Hi Steve,

are you already running out of space at home? Not surprising, between you and me...

I have heard a lot of good things about this kit, and it would be a sin not to use the kit of such an iconic plane. What's wrong with the codes' colour? As long as you stick the right length of tongue under the moustache, painting is real easy!

Will follow!

JR

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Steve,

are you already running out of space at home? Not surprising, between you and me...

I have heard a lot of good things about this kit, and it would be a sin not to use the kit of such an iconic plane. What's wrong with the codes' colour? As long as you stick the right length of tongue under the moustache, painting is real easy!

Will follow!

JR

Hello Jean,the codes are made of masking tape,each letter in it's own square,should be fun!

• Like 1

Good afternoon Steve

Good to see you on this Gb , I have already built 3 Airfix Hurricane and it is an easy kit to build ..

Looking forward to see you starting this one ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spaddad said:

Nice one Steve, been wondering how these combined decal/mask sets worked so looking forward to this build even more than usual, crack on.

Cheer,s Dave should be fairly quick build.

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Steve

Good to see you on this Gb , I have already built 3 Airfix Hurricane and it is an easy kit to build ..

Looking forward to see you starting this one ..

Best regards

Patrice

Thank's Patrice,I've got a good half dozen of these in various schemes including my go at the prototype Hurricane so not expecting

any issues as far as the kit is concerned.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,got a little done,brushed for a change,detail painted and a dry brush,I ran a little wash into the lines to give a bit of depth.

20170709_185633

• Like 1

It's interesting that people think that this kit goes together without issues. Mine certainly didn't: upper to lower wing fit, wing assembly to fuselage, undercarriage and the 'proud' canopy were all a wheeze.

At the time of the kit's release, some reported an easy build, others my nightmare. Hopefully, it's all sorted now and it'll all be smooth!

John.

1 hour ago, johnd said:

It's interesting that people think that this kit goes together without issues. Mine certainly didn't: upper to lower wing fit, wing assembly to fuselage, undercarriage and the 'proud' canopy were all a wheeze.

At the time of the kit's release, some reported an easy build, others my nightmare. Hopefully, it's all sorted now and it'll all be smooth!

John.

Hi John,good point's raised there,I find it easier when assembling the upper/lower wing it's best to glue the wing tip's and clamp or tape till dry,

then I run liquid poly along the seams and repeat the process.I also now know to trim a bit off the bottom of the backplate on which the seat is mounted

where it drops in between the wing's, the rear fuselage need's a trim behind the tail wheel to push it back a touch then it click's into place after the wing

and fuselage are assembled,I tend to forget folk may be reading a WIP who have not attempted this kit,Anyway here she is as of tonight.

20170709_213228

20170709_213301

20170709_223736

• Like 4

Who's a stupid boy then? just noticed the two blade prop in the profiles and this kit only has a three blade option! So look's like

a change of scheme to the kit option which still should fit in with my other incarnation's of this kit,let's have a Hurri-fest!

DSCN0561%20640x480_zpsun9ibqi5.jpg

SDC12844640x480_zpsf750b102.jpg

SDC10785_zps59a7920a.jpg

SDC11045_zpsb7456c2f.jpg

SDC11064_zps2b5cf448.jpg

Before the flaming torch and pitchfork's come out the first one was a "What if the Munich crisis never happened" inspired build.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, spaddad said:

Yes, you are a stupid boy.  I might have a 2 blader, want me to have a look?

Thank's Dave,I'll no doubt return proper to 1/72 scale in the future and get one to try those mask's out I'll just do the box scheme for this one

I chucked out a load ofstuff last week when I tidied the paintbox up and know there were a couple in there.:wall:

13 hours ago, spaddad said:

I'm quite happy to swap a 2 for a 3 if you want?

As per the PM Dave cheer's,so back to the original scheme then.

Morning folk's,after three or four coat's of green I was happy with the finish so I dry brushed the airframe to bring out the ribbing and other details

then applied the masking for the lettering.

20170714_103128

I was pleased that once I peeled the masks of all looked well and blended well when I glossed for decalling,the decals have a solid carrier film

on the whole sheet which need tobe cut to size.

20170714_111126

The gas patch is supplied as a mask so although I had spare decal's I'm using it.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Morning all,disaster struck the otherwise well behaved decal's as the underwing roundel's broke up so replaced with sparebut larger 

Airfix ones,gear legs added ready for the door's to be fitted.

20170717_111921

And courtesy of Dave the correct prop added and panel lines washed.

20170717_112050

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great Steve, I really like the paint finish you've achieved.

A superb  group of Hurricanes 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1