This was a build from a couple of years ago using Dragon's M50 kit, but backdating it to one of the first conversions. Anyone wanting to know how I went about it can click Here 

The base was just a simple construction of a box structure made from balsa wood and painted matt black and then filled with off cuts of laminate flooring fibre underlay. This was then fixed onto a photo frame. The top was covered in a slightly sloppy mixture of household filler mixed in with some yellow ochre acrylic paint and very fine sand. Before it dried I pressed some stones into the surface.

First up, some photos of the model sans base.

5a031fa8-de2b-4093-9f8c-efbb40073366.JPG

1f2d08e3-dc79-4b1e-99c1-cdbd5150442e.JPG

1409890c-9988-4854-b877-b747c1dff195.JPG

All the rest are of it fixed to the base. I included a figure but this is the one aspect that I'm not happy with. I tried (and failed) to make him seen as though he was casually leaning against the tank, holding a water bottle, but it doesn't seem natural. Maybe I'll revisit him another time.

6267bc72-922d-48ce-bd5e-b9634b302139.JPG

eaf6c7a1-359c-451f-bab7-635bf82572ee.JPG

8844c6dd-4630-45c4-9392-8fb09f5e421e.JPG

76da66e8-3deb-46f1-88bb-73065764a000.JPG

24fb450a-80fc-4b0b-bb8c-d940fe06fab0.JPG

af7802c7-0e3d-4c34-abad-5f578dc036aa.JPG

And that's it. Thanks for looking and any comments, critical or otherwise, are welcome.

John.

• Like 10

A really great model, well done. I particularly like the tie downs and stowage it's holding in place. Adds real authenticity to the scene. I'm a long way from this level of skill, but with time and people like you sharing their processes and beautifully executed end results, I at least have a way of learning through attempted imitation.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Like it.

12 hours ago, Kris B said:

Beautiful. 

9 hours ago, AgentG said:

Oh my, that's a nice one.

G

Many thanks all, much appreciated.

John.

9 hours ago, James B said:

A really great model, well done. I particularly like the tie downs and stowage it's holding in place. Adds real authenticity to the scene. I'm a long way from this level of skill, but with time and people like you sharing their processes and beautifully executed end results, I at least have a way of learning through attempted imitation.  Thank you.

Thanks James. I think it's best to add some tie downs for the stowage, otherwise in real life, it would all have fallen off at the first bit of rough ground.

Keep at it and your skills will evolve with time. I've only been building armour for about 15 years ( I built aircraft before that), but I've learnt a lot from on line sites like this one, magazines, books and videos. Practice makes perfect.

John. 

15 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Great build John, the dio sets it off nicely.

Thanks Julian. I try and put all of my models on a basic simple base as I think that it enhances it in a small way. I think you need to be able to build something to museum standards to be able to display it on a plain wooden plinth.

John.

Hello John,

another great Sherman ... I'm really impressed by the rear stowage tarp roll with the straps, excellent !!

Dare I say ... what's next ?? ;)

E

Hi Etienne,

Thanks very much. Well, I'd like to finish off the Tiran as its 75% built, and then I'm going to build another "Champagne", but as it is today up in Ville-sur-Illon. Unfortunately, I'm having to slow down with building at the moment as I have a medical condition which makes it very uncomfortable to sit at my desk for any length of time. But I built another Cromwell a little while ago and I've got all of the info on my laptop so I'm going to do that soon.

John.

• Like 1

Hi John. That really does look superb! The finish, weathering and presentation look top notch. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Great work mate,like the realism of the tie downs and tools,it sure is worthy of a museum display,as one of the comments said they would like to mimic your work,think that is great flattery and I,m sure there right. Cheers

9 minutes ago, The_Lancaster said:

Brilliant Build!

Sam

8 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great work mate,like the realism of the tie downs and tools,it sure is worthy of a museum display,as one of the comments said they would like to mimic your work,think that is great flattery and I,m sure there right. Cheers

Thanks very much to you both for the comments. It's much appreciated.

John.