Anonymous BF-109 E4 +++COMPLETED+++

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Do you have any pictures of the 'non' Galland aircraft - I'd really be interested to have a look.

as posted before...

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26-Stab.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26.I.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26.II.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26.III.html

the real 'meat' are  the photos,  

there are some very interesting schemes from 39 to early 1940,  with various  schemes coming and going

eg

AeroMaster_48-496_Product.jpg

note these are based on the Classic Colours books, as some Aeromaster sheets give rise to the nickname 'errormaster' 

the 2nd scheme is an experimental one with tri colour  uppers.

Ultracast do a lot of OOP decal sheets

http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft Decals - 48 Scale - Bf 109.htm

well worth a browse as they show the instructions and decals, which is handy for reference.

here's  the early JG 26

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26-Early.html

low demarcation 70/71,  small crosses, oversize  crosses, the sheer variety of schemes is pretty mindboggling

• Like 3

Well on with the decaling - my very first swastika...

photo.jpg

...and some Balkenkreuz

photo.jpg

...onwards and upwards as they say :D

• Like 3

Does anyone here have experience with HGW decals - they look normal but the instructions are a bit 'weird' - see here...

photo.jpg

...HELP!!!

They're great, but if you're just using this as training for the "big event", I'd just use the kit decals and leave these for that project.  They are good, and you get no carrier film left over once the top foil has been removed, so the stencils will look painted on :Tasty:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

They're great, but if you're just using this as training for the "big event", I'd just use the kit decals and leave these for that project.  They are good, and you get no carrier film left over once the top foil has been removed, so the stencils will look painted on :Tasty:

Hi Mike - Happy Friday - Can I ask a couple of questions then...

• So there is a thin film covering the whole sheet???
  • This peels off after 6-8 hours???
  • Do I use Microsol / Microset as normal???

I recently used some Aviaeology Vital Storm decals that didn't have a lot of carrier film around them and they were a beggar to work with - very 'wiggly' especially at 1/24 - but they didn't have this clear peel off layer.

• Are the HGW ones 'wiggly' or are they tougher.

Any advice always gratefully received Sir ;)

Thanks - Steve

Here's a couple of reviews I've done on the sets:

You cut 'em out with the foil attached to the front, apply them with the foil attached, and remove the foil some hours later, leaving the printing sat on your model and no annoying carrier film to hide with layers of Klear.  One day I'll actually finish a model and get round to using a full sheet of 'em, but the few I have done have been good :)

Wiggly isn't included with them either. :fraidnot: Is there aftermarket wiggly available at this time? :hmmm:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Here's a couple of reviews I've done on the sets:

You cut 'em out with the foil attached to the front, apply them with the foil attached, and remove the foil some hours later, leaving the printing sat on your model and no annoying carrier film to hide with layers of Klear.  One day I'll actually finish a model and get round to using a full sheet of 'em, but the few I have done have been good :)

Wiggly isn't included with them either. :fraidnot: Is there aftermarket wiggly available at this time? :hmmm:

When you say 'foil' - do you mean the 'tracing paper' that seems to cover all decal sheets?

It gets a bit confusing due to the terminology used.  IIRC (I haven't got my sets easily to hand, sorry!), there's a sheet of tracing paper stylee stuff there that is easily removable, but there's also a clear film that covers the whole sheet.  That's the stuff you leave attached til later. :hmmm: I think... I'm trying to think where I could find a set, as the ones I have are buried under dozens of kits.  You've seen my workshop :blush:

• Like 1

Just now, Mike said:

It gets a bit confusing due to the terminology used.  IIRC (I haven't got my sets easily to hand, sorry!), there's a sheet of tracing paper stylee stuff there that is easily removable, but there's also a clear film that covers the whole sheet.  That's the stuff you leave attached til later. :hmmm: I think... I'm trying to think where I could find a set, as the ones I have are buried under dozens of kits.  You've seen my workshop :blush:

...and what an amazing workshop it is too - impressed!!!

OK I think I get you now - but I'm guessing microsol is superfluous - due to the top carrier layer?

But what about microset for the initial lay down???

Sorry to be a pain - they are really nice decals - I just want to get it right. :blush:

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's ages since I used them - it might be an idea to have a word with Martin @HGW Models - he's a decent chap, and won't mind helping you out one bit :)

Thanks a million mate - I'll pester the life out of him ;)

• Like 1

Decaling continues - slowly but surely - whilst I await more news on what liquids to use with the HGW decals (microset / microsol???)  I have added a few minor decals from the Airfix set and these JG26 emblems from the Kits World set (nice decals)...

photo.jpg

I have to say those red walk lines on the wings (from Airfix) are incredibly tricky little monkeys.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I must say im going to have to do a few BOB builds all this has got my interest up. Im looking at a Hurricane mk1, spitfire Mk1, and probably a defiant. And a couple of emil's to play the victims. Maybe i can get one done by Sept 15

I like your thinking - BUT - 'beware of the hun in the sun' - those crafty emils may well jump your less experienced pilots.

• Like 1

...slow going today...

I had a choice of black or red Höllenhund emblems - at least I'm pretty sure that is what it's called.  I think that makes it - 9/JG26  I chose the KITS WORLD black ones...

photo.jpg

...I'm still pondering numbers or symbols for the side - from the massive amount of pictures that @Troy Smith pointed me towards - but the field is narrowing - I'd let to get them on tonight.

Saturdays are so busy - too much to do!!!

• Like 2

Considering how things were going, I'm still convinced you're doing really well in pulling her around (Wheeler Dealers speak), making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :clap2: I'm also pretty sure the marker pen will eventually bleed through the paint, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong, so just bear that in mind when you're putting the effort in.  Save your best work for the next one ;)

• Like 1

I seem to have the position right - sat on the wing root at an angle - more by luck than judgement though - I'd already done mine when I found this just now :lol: 

Aircraft emblem of JG26 red griffin or Hellhound 01

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Considering how things were going, I'm still convinced you're doing really well in pulling her around (Wheeler Dealers speak), making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :clap2: I'm also pretty sure the marker pen will eventually bleed through the paint, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong, so just bear that in mind when you're putting the effort in.  Save your best work for the next one ;)

Don't worry - I'm mainly playing with the Airix kit decals and then some of the cheaper ones that are duplicated across my extra sets.  That's why I chose the black one - the red one is on the HGW sheet - which I will save for a 'sunday best' build ;)

Also - don't worry folks - if she bleeds in the near future I will be posting pix of the horror as it unfolds.

I think I'm going to go with this <+l in yellow - which I thinks makes him...

< - Gruppen Adjudtant

+ - Luftwaffe

l - lll Gruppe

yellow - Staffel 9

Can someone tell me if that's right??????????????????????

OK - I've changed my mind AGAIN - yellow 9 it is...

photo_-_Copy.jpg

...the Microsol is currently working it's magic on the desk upstairs - a couple of generic Airfix decals in the morning and then a final gloss coat on Sunday afternoon.

Then we can apply the final Winsor & Newton Matt coat - before we put it somewhere safe - to see how long it takes for the sharpie to work its way through 8 layers of paint and 3 layers of varnish :lol:

I have to say - considering my f up it has been fun.

• Like 1

This is looking very nice indeed. Glad my suggestion 're JG26 worked out for you. If you ever get the chance read their war diary. They were published in two parts and shows a real insight into squadron ops from the German side. Looking forward to seeing this Emil finished 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

...the Microsol is currently working it's magic on the desk upstairs - a couple of generic Airfix decals in the morning and then a final gloss coat on Sunday afternoon.

Then we can apply the final Winsor & Newton Matt coat - before we put it somewhere safe - to see how long it takes for the sharpie to work its way through 8 layers of paint and 3 layers of varnish :lol:

At the risk of quoting myself (not good - but appropriate here)...

WTF was I thinking about :doh:

I have just seen the little plastic box that contains...

• Tail Planes
  • Tail Plane Stabilisers
  • Mass Balancers
  • Pitot Tube
  • Tail Wheel

...and the amazing scratch built Aerial from @Gorby of course.

ARGHHH - how could I forget that :doh:

• Like 3

• BIG X changed the title to Anonymous BF-109 E4 - Are we there yet???

The decals are now gloss sealed - that little Red Cross was a beggar.

The tail fins are in place - along with their stabilisers and the tail wheel is on...

photo.jpg