Anonymous BF-109 E4 +++COMPLETED+++

I'd say you've nailed the splinter - just ignore the thickness of the colour, as it's not the issue in hand.  Mottle is all about trial and adjustment, which it sounds like you're doing already, so you're on the right road.  Me being me, I didn't bother testing anything, but with acrylic you do have that second or two to wipe your mistakes away.  I'm confident that you'll master it ;)

• Like 2

Steve,

As Troy asked, have you considered stripping her back to bare plastic? I know that there are a number of options for stripping paint off of plastic kits without causing any damage to the surfaces and joins. One method I've used very successfully in the past was using 'EASY OFF' oven cleaner which removed the paint with no problems after a couple of applications. Mind you, if you go this route it's worth remembering to wash the model entirely once the paint is removed, first with a 50/50 white vinegar/water mix scrubbed over the entire kit with a largish brush and then a further washing in distilled water then set it aside to air dry for 24 hours. Also, before you start it's a good idea to practice this method on an old painted kit that's due to be binned.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

OK - take a deep breath - I DID - here we go...

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

...I've gone with the 'less is more' school of mottling and it looks even less mottled on these shots than it does on the bench - what do you think...

• Like 2

...it is OK to say you don't like something - as long as you have something constructive to say - even if that comment is - 'go away and try again' or similar - all comments are welcome.

C'mon - please don't hold back - this is a learning experience - I learn something every time someone makes a post - so please help out.

Hi Steve

looks really good for a first go.

for future use,  bear in mind that in 1/1 a spray gun is pretty small, maybe covering 4 to 6 inches in stroke,  which is 2 to  3mm approx  in 1/48th,  could be less

and, if you can , work from a  photo,  many BoB 109's had several repaints, first in 71/02 with high sides, then added mottle /overspray,  then mixed greys.

one of my favorites for factory mottle is this, it's a G-6,  but shows it well

1.jg52_wh10.3.jpg

note the mottle has 4 colours, the 74/75 on the wings, the yellower tones grey 02 and black green 70 by the lead hanging down.

Noe most of the blobs are  about hand size, if you want  a thought exercise,  go and pretend to be  using a spray gun on the wall (you could chalk a big 109 up) and think how you would work in 1/1,  and then think how that translates down to 1/48th.

The rest is practice, but you already have the basic idea

HTH

T

• Like 2

Thanks guys - maybe 'less' isn't more ;)

Having trawled the internet all day for 'mottled' examples - it seems some Luftwaffe ground crew were 'artists' and some were just 'vandals' :lol: 

• Like 2

Big x ... nothing is wrong when it comes to mottling. Remember that the Decal image you are using for ideas came from a picture. A picture is exactly what it should be a trapped image of time. Whos to say that right after the photo got taken that some pilot said "not enough mottling ! Do more."  Or maybe "too much green add some grey's to it." So i say there is no right or wrong just a split second image. The idea of mottling a model gives you a free range to play with your imagination. The so called vandal's may have been the same artist as he may have done one plane yesterday but 4,5,6 planes today. So he had to rush the job. I say nothing is wrong as long as you stay within the correct colors for the region and time frame. 

Best of luck

Dennis 

• Like 2

I reckon trying to replicate a photo is asking too much when you're starting out - get the feel of the process, gain confidence with what you can achieve consistently with the tools that you have, and then start to mimic the photographic evidence.

• Like 2

Ask yourself one question, do YOU like the result?? Unless the model is intended for a show then the only opinion that really counts is yours. However I think your efforts look great. I tend to shy away from WW2 German aircraft due to mottling. Must bite the bullet and give it a go soon

• Like 2

Hi, 

for the first experiment with the mottles, I think that the result is good!

Excuse me, but i don't understand; did you used 75% paint and 25% thinners? Pressure of airbrush 10 PSI?

I'm not a teacher, but usually when I painted the mottles (only 2 times) I used Gunze colours, 70% Thinner / 30% paint, pressure 7 PSI...

The first time was a disaster... but with patience and exercise I learned... it isn't difficult... it need only experience 

With the my last model (Bf 190 E-4 Eduard 1/48) I used the MrPaint coluors... IMHO these paints are very good...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, matteo44 said:

Hi, 

for the first experiment with the mottles, I think that the result is good!

Excuse me, but i don't understand; did you used 75% paint and 25% thinners? Pressure of airbrush 10 PSI?

I'm not a teacher, but usually when I painted the mottles (only 2 times) I used Gunze colours, 70% Thinner / 30% paint, pressure 7 PSI...

The first time was a disaster... but with patience and exercise I learned... it isn't difficult... it need only experience 

With the my last model (Bf 190 E-4 Eduard 1/48) I used the MrPaint coluors... IMHO these paints are very good...

Hi Matteo - Yes 75% paint and 25% thinners  - I tried a 50/50 mix first - but as the vallejo model air paint is pre-thinned for airbrush this came out like water.  My compressor is direct air - with no tank - so as soon as you start - the pressure normally drops by 10psi from whatever it is set for.  I went for 10psi and a very tight nozzle setting as I was working so close and rather than blitz the model - I really just wanted to slowly 'mist' the mottle coat on.

42 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Matteo - Yes 75% paint and 25% thinners  - I tried a 50/50 mix first - but as the vallejo model air paint is pre-thinned for airbrush this came out like water.  My compressor is direct air - with no tank - so as soon as you start - the pressure normally drops by 10psi from whatever it is set for.  I went for 10psi and a very tight nozzle setting as I was working so close and rather than blitz the model - I really just wanted to slowly 'mist' the mottle coat on.

I understand...

With Vallejo... is better use his thinners... 

I've friends which tryed used the "Vetril" (In Italy, the Vetril is used for clean the windows of house) like thinner... 

I don’t think that in England you can find the same product, but I think that in your country you can find the same product for clean the windows with a different name…

If you interested, I found this video on youtube

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matteo44 said:

I understand...

With Vallejo... is better use his thinners... 

I've friends which tryed used the "Vetril" (In Italy, the Vetril is used for clean the windows of house) like thinner... 

I don’t think that in England you can find the same product, but I think that in your country you can find the same product for clean the windows with a different name…

If you interested, I found this video on youtube

...when I said 'it came out like water' I didn't mean I used water for thinning - I did use the vallejo thinners - just too much for such a thin paint. 

I gave her a delicate brush coat this morning with Humbrol acrylic gloss - a favourite of mine and she is not looking too shabby.  I think I may give her the dignity of a few decals - lets face it - I'm not short of decals.

This turned into a mottling exercise - after the sharpie abuse and has been a great leaning experience.

But bless her - she is doing her best to shine - in her sharp little splinter dress and yellow trimmings - does she deserve it???

What do you think - do we dress her up???

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I gave her a delicate brush coat this morning with Humbrol acrylic gloss - a favourite of mine and she is not looking too shabby.  I think I may give her the dignity of a few decals - lets face it - I'm not short of decals.

This turned into a mottling exercise - after the sharpie abuse and has been a great leaning experience.

But bless her - she is doing her best to shine - in her sharp little splinter dress and yellow trimmings - does she deserve it???

What do you think - do we dress her up???

Yes, get her dressed up good and proper. 

I must say, this has turned into a cracking build thread mate. I'm glad you took the plunge! 

• Like 2

@BIG X could you make use of a resin seat and some HGW seat belts in any of the future 109 builds?  If you could drop me a line and we can sort something out for you 

• Like 1

I've been 'pondering' - always dangerous...  Having only tried putting soot / smoke stains on my recent Hurricane - I'm unfamiliar with staining on BF-109's.

I'm looking at where the exhaust stains would be - judging by their position I guess they would trail along the wing root and maybe on the underside???

Would the vent under the nose emit dirt???

There don't seem to be any ammo shell ejection chutes on the underside - should there be???

With cannons do you get gunsmoke trails on the top or bottom of the wing???

If anyone has any pictures they could post up I would be very keen to see some weathering / staining etc.

Thanks - Steve :D

No ejection chutes on the underside; the spent shell casings were collected into a pair of containers beneath the MG 17s.

Next to no cordite stains aft of the cannon barrels in the wings over or under the wings (unless of course they happened to be loaded with circa 1800's black powder!:D)

As for underside stains from oil, dirt, mud etc, be guided by period photo underside views of 109Es and likewise for exhaust staining.

Nice save on the paint job Steve; any ideas on which markings?

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, tango98 said:

No ejection chutes on the underside; the spent shell casings were collected into a pair of containers beneath the MG 17s.

Next to no cordite stains aft of the cannon barrels in the wings over or under the wings (unless of course they happened to be loaded with circa 1800's black powder!:D)

As for underside stains from oil, dirt, mud etc, be guided by period photo underside views of 109Es and likewise for exhaust staining.

Nice save on the paint job Steve; any ideas on which markings?

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave - That's very interesting about the shell casings - looks like the old Luftwaffe were into recycling before everyone else - very 'green' of them to take their rubbish home with them. :D

Message received on the gun smoke - though I have to say that my nose cannons have a little sharpie bleed - which actually looks like gun staining - so I'm happy with it.

As for markings - now we have some mottling I have other choices - black spinner / yellow nose / mottle / square canopy / yellow tail - any ideas??? 

• Like 1

How about JG26 from the Battle of Britain period? Lots of well known aircrew including Galland. Last I looked Xtradeclas covered what is my favourite squadron. I read their war diary some time ago and have made a few aircraft in their colours

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

How about JG26 from the Battle of Britain period? Lots of well known aircrew including Galland. Last I looked Xtradeclas covered what is my favourite squadron. I read their war diary some time ago and have made a few aircraft in their colours

I'll take a look on google for JG26 - but Galland - I don't think so - maybe one of his minions - they deserve some credit too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

Do you have any pictures of the 'non' Galland aircraft - I'd really be interested to have a look.