Anonymous BF-109 E4 +++COMPLETED+++

Machine guns / mass balancers / pitot tube all in place...

photo_-_Copy.jpg

I want to get this finished tonight - wish me luck :D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BIG X said:

my good mate @Gorby - Thanks Mark!!!

Oh, he has a real name, does he? :lol:

What're you going to use for the aerial?  If you've got no idea yet, you could do worse than trying invisible mending thread in smoke or clear, which you can pick up from your local supermarket for peanuts in their end racks of "useful things" :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Damn! that's my cover blown. :doh:

Sorry Michael - or was it Martin or Dave - I can't remember now...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...guess what - after 8 coats of paint and varnishes - the canopy masks WILL NOT COME OFF :doh:

They'll come off… you just need to give them more persuasion.

489926e3-eada-4462-a46c-0bcdc37beece.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

...guess what - after 8 coats of paint and varnishes - the canopy masks WILL NOT COME OFF :doh:

Are they Tamiya tape?  If so, it's probably just the sheer volume of paint making it difficult.  Try disturbing a corner with a cocktail stick (which shouldn't scratch the "glass") and grab the corner with some tweezers to pull the rest off.  might work. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

They'll come off… you just need to give them more persuasion.

489926e3-eada-4462-a46c-0bcdc37beece.png

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Are they Tamiya tape?  If so, it's probably just the sheer volume of paint making it difficult.  Try disturbing a corner with a cocktail stick (which shouldn't scratch the "glass") and grab the corner with some tweezers to pull the rest off.  might work. :)

No guys it's Montex vinyl masks and I have used them before with success - the problem is of my own making.  The sheer build up of paint and the fact that the vallejo paint is very 'rubbery' has meant that you can't get into the tight little corners of the canopy to lift the smaller pieces out...

Bf109_canopy.jpg

...and YES the bit I did get off pulled the rubbery paint off the framework and YES I did scratch the 'glass' in the process.  Luckily this model comes with 2 canopies and it is conceivable I did put the wrong one on in the first place - so tonight...

...I'm going to pull the canopy off (it's only PVA'd on) which should be easy enough, then clean the edge of the body.  Then mask the other canopy and paint it before trying to get it back on.

This little baby just doesn't want me to put her down. :) 

• Like 1

OK - had problems yesterday trying to post pictures - here is the mess...

Cockpit off - excess PVA to remove...

image.jpg

Here is the mess that was the canopy...

image.jpg

new canopy masked with montex vinyl masks...

image.jpg

new cockpit assembled on a piece of blu-tak...

image.jpg

...and primed...

image.jpg

RLM71 - maybe too thick again - will I ever learn???

image.jpg

This just arrived from China - I intend to use it for canopies - but this has been so much trouble I'll try it on another build...

image.jpg  

Canopy on - masks off - leaving PVA to dry over night...

image.jpg

There is a bit of PVA showing in the bottom left of the canopy - but hopefully that will be gone by now.

I'm considering this nightmare finished - but being a masochist I will actually do a 'ready for inspection' with a base of some sort.  Anyone who hasn't been watching this wip might be in for shock.

I'm off for a glass of wine now - whilst I consider what I've learned here - but I will close down the thread later - with a little appraisal.

WINE O'CLOCK - Steve

• Like 5

Well – after a couple of glasses of wine - I’m regarding this as ‘finished’ – though it has hardly been my ‘finest hour’.  So what have I learned during this build?

Well – I have learned NEVER to use a sharpie EVER AGAIN.  But on a more positive note I have learned some good stuff too…

Firstly – this kit from Airfix is a smashing little kit to build and thankfully I have got my hands on another five for the stash – as Airfix have discontinued it – shame on you Hornby.

Secondly – I have learned how to mottle a Luftwaffe aircraft – which will come in very useful on future builds – thanks for the encouragement to try it folks.

Then I learned how to restore the panel circular lines on the fuselage with my scriber – without it scratching the rest of the model – thank you DYMO TAPE.

I have also discovered more about camo colours (70/71/65 & 70/02/65) and the famous ‘splinter patterns’ for Luftwaffe aircraft – though I may steer well clear of yellow noses in the future – that yellow is a beggar to get on.

Then there was learning about Gruppen / Staffel / Rank / Geschwader colours and symbols – all very interesting stuff.

I have also learned that up to eight coats of paint and varnish make it impossible to remove cockpit masks.

I usually add my glazing at the end, but as most people put it in place early in their builds I thought I would give it a try.  The only difference is they DON’T put eight layers of gunk on top.

This nightmare has had a positive result though too – as I have learned not to use a scalpel to remove masks anymore.  I always used to get a ‘tiny’ scratch somewhere using a scalpel and never understood how people managed to get them off with a wooden cocktail stick.  But I do now…  I sharpened a cocktail stick so it was thin enough to catch the edge of the mask, but it is still soft enough not to scratch the plastic – result!!!

Finally – I have learned that doing a ‘work in progress’ thread is helpful.  Previously I had considered ‘WIP’ threads to be the domain of master builders – who pass their knowledge on to the rest of us.

Now I know that even beginners can benefit from their own WIP threads.  I received a lot of valuable information, tips & support from people with a lot more experience than me.  It encouraged me to ‘keep going’ on something that may otherwise have gone in the bin.  It also kept me ‘focused’ on the job in hand – but mainly it was FUN – which is why I come here…

…so thanks for following folks and I promise to do better next time.

• Like 10

• BIG X changed the title to Anonymous BF-109 E4 +++COMPLETED+++

By the way I just wanted to thank the following folk...

@Gorby @Antb @Troy Smith @Black Knight @sven_ss @Pauls9cb @Graham Boak @tango98 @Simon382 @jean @Lawzer @TonyTiger66 @Mike @Plasto @Corsairfoxfouruncle @amblypygid @matteo44 @Avgas 

...for your help, advice, tips and general support - it's been a beggar- but you kept me going - cheers lads!!!

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

you practicing your acceptance speech for the the oscars ?

:coolio:

:penguin::penguin:

Nope - just being thankful - I've learned a lot on this build :blush:

Hi Steve 

Just caught up. What a great WIP you've had. The 109 really does look excellent. 

You've overcome some really tricky stuff and you've done a blinding job. 

Looking forward to the next WIP.... ;)

• Like 1

...as promised I have done a 'Ready For Inspection' thread - complete with stand...

I hope you can take a look.

Thanks again - Steve

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bloody brilliant. :lol: sorry I missed this while it was live. I never knew about the pain of sharpie,although I haven't used them

for pre shade myself.  Excellent save on pen woes however, as well as the canopy. I'll head over to the RFI for a shooftie. This site is great for learning new stuff.:penguin:

looks like things turned out nice. Bravo sir, you can't beat a boy o' Custard. :)

Johnny

• Thanks 1