HMS Dreadnought 1907 - Trumpeter 1/350

On 20/10/2017 at 08:37, KEVIN_ARIS said:

i love the variety that is available in 1/350, and they build into lovely kits like you are doing, but it would just kill my eyes

Some of them I barely see as well. But ship without brass won't work in my opinion. And I still do not fancy PE.

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

How do you go about gluing such tiny parts; CA, PVA?:shrug:

Those parts from last photo are soldered. I am using soldering paste and gas torch. Usually I am trying to mount as much brass as I could with solder.

• Like 1

What Do you hold the etch  piece in place with before you solder it  chris,  its nice work! I'm not keen on pe either but i think thats just because i don't use it often enough, or I'm crap at sticking the  brass  together with ca 

Glynn

• Like 1

I am using soldering paste, and in most cases it hold itself together. I am soldering using gas torch. It is not so hard as it sounds. 

Brass arrived and I managed to do the masts. 

e-5ZIhxz13iJ-rhX7yCM0IrOQTaFJMKRRmRgjqUb

Edited by Kris B
  • Like 12

Cheers lads. That how she looks now - sorry for poor photo quality. I need to find out the way how to make them better as up to know my models was third of size.

ASdghx_JGsukJu13eceqb3Ua-tWO31rHglkJUXXT

xHX-8EMkyQ5IPJGeEfgftenlkds1S3cRofrzbYeR

geH2T9NbJphB9J3YPYJeeVsgCdPfnIOLc91FBcec

7iX1jbklFD5K4MT8H1YbBrgDSyTUxDhMw5kcd50r

JZJcQuviK-5OmYNBeasZ22D9EK1NM5vN1hU56yIH

3Kr-EoKz2F5qUl5W_aI2e8Z0SqmqMHJ-TqF_Otse

XW50jzQRVSxdiMc9brRpinsCbrRlK7zG4yo5HAEg

e5lM_BhgA3zpK0e2QK2CPQLQgKaMZ37HgaFpn_3c

FCyONdQftCmcANf5AqKDX8VEeg4egdaXU0ZGSa1O

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Cheers lads. 

November is not really much productive month in modelling year as to many good things happening. After Telford (where I get one of the must have for me ships - Trumpeter Richelieu 1/350 with Master Model armament) and few other occasions I finally managed some time to sit down. The effect is on the photo below - boats. In this place I would like to thank to Nick for his help and support in this project. Just few bits left and I will start paint her. 

xYUNgD5SbxHwRI1TVXyn2dYboKxYhsB1RiFz5sl2

• Like 8

Cheers,

Hull is almost ready for primer. All decks are masked using the photo copy of the wooden deck. Just need to open the holes where anchor chains going into the hull and trim the propeller shafts.

h6EZ9iZLjxG0ZsMOCh1fFyWMLh27RmHGYCQtUODP

BXxRBCr0HaaQbYnu0I3ITOvTuJ2eyM2TOYBiuCQI

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

OK, beginning of painting and first failure. I have used the Ultimate Primer.

120_grey_1024x1024.jpg?v=1471878998

I have a 0.3 nozzle in my airbrush - that is no good, too small. Recommended is 0.4+. It could be sprayed straight of the bottle - won't work for me as probably nozzle to small. So I decided to add some Mr. Hobby Leveling Thinner. It works much better, but the pressure have to be 1.5 bar minimum. I am not saying it is bad primer, I just can’t make it work.

The primer on the model looks very good (it was my second primed model anyway so I am not an expert saying that). So I took next step and sprayed the black stripe around the hull.

vRbaUQVwTHe7cewbvgS2wZ_PvjY9Nb-sQl-QOWmI

MMQw9LWb6iS3O_hvgZye84EKokCVcMX-S3t1l5Bp

Then there was a time to add the masking tape. And that was the moment when the troubles started. When I tried to correct the tape in several places the primer come of the model. I could understand if it was just a pain, but primer? I tried to sand those places but it was peeling off further. But in the places where was no paint primer seems to be quite strong and resistive for sanding. I’ve used the Tamiya XF-1 Black thinned with Tamiya X-20A. I’ve noticed that primer under this paint looks like has been weakened. Not sure that it happened because the thinner is water based or Tamiya is little bit too aggressive.

Anyway the model had a bath. At this moment is in the same stage as before, but without masking yet. This time I’ve used Tamiya primer in spray. Will see soon how it works.

• Like 6

Hi lads. I've started painting my first ship ever. Started from the hull. Red is mixed from Tamiya XF-7 x 4 +XF9 x 1, grey - XF-19 x 2 + XF54 x 1. Highlights done bay mixing grey with white. Happy New Year to all.

BNhHEUxalhSymHHLpJ6uN6mOjYv1AwDyn9D6ZzS-

pNv7MkmsF4pmkDqFnXwb2YtexThL8plR-cFKVuOx

hG0VrUjspUzZCmpBjAIis-sn9z6QS_SnHC600TNI

VWStwJokEUEarfZYETJFZlucnvQLhSGr71tk73oi

Dr3BEdchG8okLXzUuEm2_FXyxQM1yXDTwYBeqHHY

• Like 12