F-84 Mirage

Finn

I recall that quite a few Belgian F-84Fs were converted into 'Mirage' decoys. Back in WW2, Hawker Hind/Hart biplanes had their top wings removed for use as 'Hurricane' decoys, so it's a technique that's been with us for some time. 

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting maybe a decoy for soviet spy satellite's ? maybe a practice target ? 

Wouldn't fool a satellite reconnaissance picture BUT, if you were the WarPac strike pilot screaming over a hostile NATO airfield at very high speed would you blink twice to check whether it was the real thing or a decoy especially with every man and his dog doing their level best to ruin your day by trying to shoot you down?  Probably not.

Plenty of NATO airfields had decommissioned aircraft strategically placed around the airfields to make the bad guys expend their ammunition needlessly.  I recall Wildenwrath had some discarded Lightnings for such a purpose.

Edited by Wez
extra text
  • Like 2

It is actually the decoy representing F-84. ;):)

Just it was made by the Trumpeter! :):):)
In the Trumpeter's models a nose a part never turned out as it is necessary,
therefore all think that it is the Mirage! :)

And if it is serious, then from the point of view of present
realities, all this looks an amateur work. To inflate spy-satelite of the opponent, here that now in a trend:

1294480480_f2b270aa9e5a330effca4b796f1_p

resource photo from:

https://topwar.ru/2950-naduvnye-makety-na-sluzhbe-armii.html

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

Nice find. Reminds me of the several Jordanian F-104A's that were repainted in Mirage F.1 colors, had their horizontal stabs removed and wing extensions fitted for decoy purposs after being declared surplus. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Ah, the (in)famous Thundermirage!

There's some more of them here .

And still there were dozens of surplus F-84F lingering in storage at Koksijde airbase for which no-one had any use.

IIRC, some T-33 trainers used by the Belgian Air Force (delivered under MDAP, I guess), when replaced with Alpha Jets, were heliported away with Chinooks to USAFE bases around Europe to serve as decoys (could also have been for battle damage repair training - or the firing range).

Edited by ivand
addition
  • Like 1

I think one or two Lightning F2A in Germany were made to look like Mig 21 or Sukhoi. Not certain about this but I did see something like this somewhere.