MK1 Blenheim question.

Vinnie

Hello, I'm currently trying to beat an old Revell Mk1 Blenheim kit into submission. It's fighting me all the way. Although I think I have the upper hand at the moment, I'm confused about the reason for the holes on the leading edge of both wings just outboard of the engines.

The Duxford Blenheim shows nothing on the starboard wing but has a red patch on the port side similar to red dope patches on Spitfire guns. What are these holes for?

Thanks.

Edited by Vinnie

Yes it was the port wing only. The access hatch was on the under surface.

I did have a photo of the Hendon one on my Photobucket account that I would have posted but..............

Trevor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Yes it was the port wing only. The access hatch was on the under surface.

I did have a photo of the Hendon one on my Photobucket account that I would have posted but..............

Trevor

Was the Hendon one not a MKIV?

Edited by Vinnie

Technically the Hendon example is a Bolingbroke! However (and I stand to be corrected) save for the nose and some interior details the 'Mk.IV' and I are the same.

Trevor

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Technically the Hendon example is a Bolingbroke! However (and I stand to be corrected) save for the nose and some interior details the 'Mk.IV' and I are the same.

Trevor

The upper wing undercarriage fairing is also more bulged in section and less pointed in plan view on the Bolingbroke than on the Blenheim, hence the problems in that area on the Airfix kit. 

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 2

I may be wrong on this but I believe the Hendon Blenheim started with a Mk.IV nose but it was switched for the Mk.I nose a few years ago.

Chris

On 7 July 2017 at 10:44 PM, dogsbody said:

I may be wrong on this but I believe the Hendon Blenheim started with a Mk.IV nose but it was switched for the Mk.I nose a few years ago.

Chris

Chris ...

The last time I saw the RAFM Hendon Blenheim it was still a 'Mk. IV' / Bolingbroke.  I think you're confusing the RAFM static example with the Duxford airworthy Blenheim, which is indeed currently flying as a Mk. 1.  The nose had been converted into a car a long time ago but the clever folks at ARC at Duxford reconverted it back to a fully equipped Blenheim Mk. 1 nose and granted it onto their Blenheim.  A fascinating story.  I shall be seeing the aeroplane fly at Duxford tomorrow July 8 ... .

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Chris ...

The last time I saw the RAFM Hendon Blenheim it was still a 'Mk. IV' / Bolingbroke.  I think you're confusing the RAFM static example with the Duxford airworthy Blenheim, which is indeed currently flying as a Mk. 1.  The nose had been converted into a car a long time ago but the clever folks at ARC at Dixford reconverted it back to fully equipped Blenheim Mk. 1 nose and granted it onto their Blenheim.  A fascinating story.  I shall be seeing the aeroplane fly at Duxford tomorrow July 8 ... .

That's it! I mixed them up.

My mistake!

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

14 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It was possible for the Blenheim to carry a .303 machine gun outboard of the nacelle. But I have only ever seen reliable reference to it being in the port wing.

Thank you very much, W.I.P. I'll just fill the starboard hole then.

17 hours ago, Jonny said:

Chris ...

The last time I saw the RAFM Hendon Blenheim it was still a 'Mk. IV' / Bolingbroke.  I think you're confusing the RAFM static example with the Duxford airworthy Blenheim, which is indeed currently flying as a Mk. 1.  The nose had been converted into a car a long time ago but the clever folks at ARC at Dixford reconverted it back to fully equipped Blenheim Mk. 1 nose and granted it onto their Blenheim.  A fascinating story.  I shall be seeing the aeroplane fly at Duxford tomorrow July 8 ... .

Hope you have a good time. A few piccies would be good, please.