USMC Sniper team, Vietnam 1/35

The first try with the water was unsuccessful, I used AK still water, but although I applied it thin, it shrinks and cracks. So removed the stuff (along with the soil smile.gif ) and restored the terrain with the textured paste.
This time I used Pebeo crystal resin-lovely stuff. No bubbles either when mixing or casting the water. I tinted it a bit with oil colors for effect. I have to sand the sides and some corrections, but I liked the result overall.

100_8119.jpg

100_8120.jpg

100_8121.jpg

100_8122.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Venelin,

Nice progress.

As I suspected, a rice paddy!  (it didn't take a genius to work that out!)

Have you seen the 'comments, suggestions welcome' diorama WIP? That's nearly all rice paddy.

And that brings me on to a couple of things which I hope you don't mind me saying....

Firstly, you soooooooo haven't planted enough rice in the paddies.  They plant the young rice in long neat rows, with the plants close together, each row separated by only a couple of feet at the most. I know some modellers drill holes into the water and insert their rice rather than plant their rice and pour the water around it. That way you don't get the water dimpling around the rice. Whether you think it's worth the effort though.....

639987RICE2.jpg

Secondly, ivy leaves grow almost flat to the surface of whatever they are climbing up.  In other words they would 'hang' vertically from a tree trunk and wouldn't all stick out on the horizontal. I suspect you could rectify that fairly easily.

Apart from that, your tree and undergrowth are looking fantastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks for advice!

This is my first try with rice paddy and water and that capillary effect is bothering me. I will add second, thin layer, this time not tinted and will try to put more rice in the rows.

Ivy will be corrected, it didn't look right for my eye too.

I want everything to look right :)

Regards

2 hours ago, Venelin said:

Thanks for advice!

This is my first try with rice paddy and water and that capillary effect is bothering me. I will add second, thin layer, this time not tinted and will try to put more rice in the rows.

Ivy will be corrected, it didn't look right for my eye too.

I want everything to look right :)

Regards

If you drill down into the water you already have, you can add more rice, then pour a thin layer of 'fresh' water.

You say you are bothered by capillary action of the water?  

With the product I've used (woodland scenics 'realistic water') you don't get capillary action. In fact you sometimes have to use a toothpick to force the water into the details such as the fiddly gaps in marginal rushes and into crevices in the bank. And you DO get dimples forming around the reed stems which you have to 'pop' with a toothpick to get the water to level out. And the stuff shrinks a bit as it dries.

So, I'm not sure if you mean you ARE getting capillary action, or you AREN'T getting any?

As for the ivy, hopefully it's easy to bend it all downwards?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I mean that the water is slightly rising at edges-banks etc, the rice stems, sorry if I'm not using the correct word :) 

I will add more rice and the second thin layer of fresh water will level the whole thing 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Venelin said:

I mean that the water is slightly rising at edges-banks etc, the rice stems, sorry if I'm not using the correct word :) 

Ah, I had a zoom in on your paddy field and I know what you mean now.

The 'water' shrinks a little bit as it cures. The level of the water drops a tiny bit, but where it's in contact with a bank, or the rice stems, it's held by friction and surface tension and you get a concave meniscus.  (the water curves up to the bank, or up the stems) Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do to prevent this from happening, and there's nothing you can do to rectify it afterwards.

If it formed a convex meniscus (like the side of a blob) it would curve down to the point of contact, but you could 'pop' it and 'force' it into and around the details. 

As I said earlier, you COULD pour the water and let it cure flat before drilling holes in it and inserting the rice.

As for the margins where the water contacts the bank, I'd wait until the water is nearly cured, then go along the water up on the bank with a toothpick, poking, prodding and roughening it up.... then sprinkle  a mix of crushed Dil tops, tea leaves etc all along the edge. It will stick to the water on the bank and 'float' in the margins.. and if it's painted green it will look a bit like duckweed or some similar water plant.

Having said all this, I would probably just accept that the effect is going to happen, and not worry about it. It's not the end of the world.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Here's a water-filled ditch/stream I made for my Carry on Regardless dio. As you can see, I suffered from the same effect, but I did my best to hide the bank/water interface by adding lots of veg along the sides.

639171cor11.jpg

331310cor7.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Venelin said:

I will put grass tufts on the banks to cover that effect and leave the rest as it is :D

Sounds good to me,

Rearguards,

Badder.

PS, I still drool over your figures.... they're so perfect I want to eat them!

Edited by Badder

Great job on the rice and the ivy. Both look much better. Of course, 'ivy' as we know it does not grow in Vietnam, but there are very similar plants.

I am waiting with baited breath for your next move.

Rearguards

Badder

On 8/11/2017 at 4:04 PM, Badder said:

PS, I still drool over your figures.... they're so perfect I want to eat them!

Thank you, then I'm sure you will like these, my next dio with resin figures,  Special forces from Evolution miniatures ;)  

100_8133.jpg

But first, to finish this project-this will be the final composition, some ferns and bamboo left to do. In the end I will weather and glue the figures.

100_8128.jpg

100_8129.jpg

100_8130.jpg

100_8131.jpg

100_8132.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Badder said:

Fantastic. I assume you're going to give the sniper and spotter a bit of cover with ferns/bamboo?

Rearguards,

Badder

Yep, I'm waiting some photoetch ferns and will continue :) 

• Like 1

Small progress with the bamboo

I cut 2 mm and 1 mm plastic tubes in small parts, which I widened a bit at the ends with a toothpick. Then with thin cement, I pressed the parts to glue them. Painted with different colors and I have to make some more leaves and put them on the bamboo stems.

100_8134.jpg

100_8135.jpg

100_8136.jpg

100_8137.jpg

100_8138.jpg

100_8139.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excellent idea for making the bamboo. Simple, but very effective. The colour looks pretty good to me. I assume they aren't stuck in the ground yet and can be removed for when adding the leaves?

Rearguards

Badder