USMC Sniper team, Vietnam 1/35

Hello!

I'm making now a small diorama/vignette with a set of BRAVO-6 USMC sniper team, Vietnam era. Very nice figures, some minor seams to clean. First-the Sniper, primed with Finishing surfacer 1500 Gray, paints are Vallejo, metalizers-Mr. Metal color. Hope you like it, thanks :)

100_7921.jpg
100_7944.jpg

100_7945.jpg

100_7946.jpg

100_7947.jpg

100_7948.jpg

100_7949.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, what stunning figures, from their poses, their faces and hands and down to the tread on the soles of their boots!

But more than that, they are perfectly and beautifully painted. Amongst the best I have ever seen.

Is there a WIP showing the stages of painting?

Thanks for sharing.

Rearguards,

Badder

12 minutes ago, Badder said:

Wow, what stunning figures, from their poses, their faces and hands and down to the tread on the soles of their boots!

But more than that, they are perfectly and beautifully painted. Amongst the best I have ever seen.

Is there a WIP showing the stages of painting?

Thanks for sharing.

Rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks, glad you like it!

And yes, they're perfectly sculpted by Vladimir Demchenko.

Sorry, I don't have WIP photos, but I used Vallejo Panzer Aces 348 Splinter strips for the uniform and 336 Afrikakorps tank crew for the flak vest. Shadows with 70894 Olive/Russian green, highlights by mixing PA 342 Highlight flesh. The wood on the rifle is with acrylic desert yellow 70977, then with stiff brush-Burnt umber oil for effect. Metal parts-Gunze Mr. Metal color Dark iron, then drybrush with Stainless steel.

It's time to make a WIP video though ;)

Regards,

Venelin

• Like 1

Just now, Venelin said:

It's time to make a WIP video though ;)

Figure painting is my weakest skill. I did manage to paint some British Infantry on Patrol rather nicely I thought... but then everything else since has been a bit average. I'm never sure if I should stick all their equipment on and then paint them, or paint all the parts first, stick them together and then touch everything up afterwards. Or a combination of the two. And I've not had any success with oils yet either.

So, yes, a WIP video or photos would be much appreciated! You seem to know exactly what you're doing and it would be great to see how you do it!

Once again, excellent work!

Rearguards

Badder

I bought one of these brushes recently-Raphael 8404 size 1, and they are way better than anything I had to this date. This is my first figure, painted with this brush, and even with size 1 you can paint very fine details, great point. Surely will buy more, if needed :)

100_8010.jpg

• Like 1

I've corrected the positioning of the hands a little, because the rifle was slightly lowered, now I think is better :)

100_8011.jpg 

100_8012.jpg

100_8013.jpg

100_8014.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Venelin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Again, stunning work!

I'm stating the obvious, but the detailing of the faces is crucial to getting a good finish and realistic look. That is one finely detailed face. I don't think I've ever seen a head where the ear lobes and inner ear have been so accurately moulded, nor one with such detailed eyes, eyelids, eyebrows, lips and nose.

But your painting skills are superb anyway, as is shown by the previous figure.

I can't wait to see what you do with your leaves. I've just spent a couple of weeks sticking homemade leaves to a building in my current diorama, and I can tell you it wasn't fun after a while!

I'm following this thread with huge interest as I know your diorama is going to turn out superb.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Many thanks, Badder!

I've tried Alpine, Live Resin, now Bravo-6, I have also some Evolution figures, which will show later-all have exceptional detail, you can't go wrong with them :)

Venelin

Edited by Venelin
  • Like 1

I wanted the spotter with different uniform for visual interest, so I made camouflaged pants and cap, also the shirt is different green tone. There's need for some touch ups here and there-the inner hands should be lighter, the hair-darker, boots etc., but I like how it turned out :)

100_8021.jpg

100_8022.jpg

100_8023.jpg

100_8024.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Proceeding with the base.

Picture frame, terrain is foam, covered with DAS clay. The trees are also made from the same clay, bark texture is applied with universal acrylic putty. Black spray paint for primer and light brown color for base,  then with drybrush two darker brown colors for variation. I will apply moss and washes later.

100_8036.jpg

100_8037.jpg

100_8038.jpg

100_8040.jpg

100_8039.jpg

V

• Like 4

I've made earth paste (talcum/baby powder+PVA glue+some fine chinchilla sand+acrylic colors), it was lighter in color intentionally. Dries fast, no cracking when applied in thin layers. Then various washes, achieving the wanted earth tones. Fresh mud wash, where the water will be. Finally drybrushing Vietnam earth pigment here and there.
Next some scatter leaves and vegetation.

100_8041.jpg

100_8042.jpg

100_8110.jpg

100_8111.jpg

100_8112.jpg

100_8113.jpg

Regards,

• Like 2

Simply a continuation of the brilliant. I have in my head an image of how this diorama is going to look when finished, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kpnuts said:

This is incredible modeling, I'm rubbish at figures so I appreciate the amazing realism you've created.

He is very good isn't he, KP?

I'd really like to see a video 'masterclass' of his technique.

Hi Venelin,

Figures I struggle with, but I'm comfortable with dioramas. Yours is coming along nicely. 

What are you using to fix the scatter? Dilute PVA?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you very much for the positive comments!

Badder, diluted PVA (50/50) is used for fixing the scatter :)

Several years ago, I was afraid of figures too, but now I think they're the most enjoying in modelling along dioramas/vignettes. You should try, only practice is needed  ;) 

Venelin

I agree with everything everyone else has already said about your work; it is simply stunning. Your skills are superb, not only with the brush work, but also the selection and mixing of the paint.

I was half expecting to see those figures move, they are so lifelike and can't wait to see how this turns out :yes:

8 hours ago, Venelin said:

Several years ago, I was afraid of figures too, but now I think they're the most enjoying in modelling along dioramas/vignettes. You should try, only practice is needed  ;) 

Hi Venelin,

I'm not 'afraid' of figure painting. As I said earlier, I have actually produced 5 figures that I am pleased with... Tamiya's British Infantry on Patrol set. They turned out way better than anything I'd ever done. Their faces were probably 7/10 compared to your 10/10 though.

I think figure painting is probably the most essential skill.... for diorama makers anyway. A great diorama/vignette can be ruined by badly painted figures. I have had a little trial with oil paints and will continue to practice with them. But my last AFV didn't come with a figure so I haven't touched one for 9 months. I do have 5 or 6 figure sets in my stash though and my current diorama will be quite heavily populated!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1