1:700 Scale HMS Victory

So having finished my build at 1:144 Scale I have decided to shrink back down to 1:700 scale again.

I thought I should share my build of a kit I picked up at the South West Ship Show in Portishead a couple of months ago. I had not seen one of these before and was not aware of the manufacturer also there was a nice model of Victory on the stand and temptation got the better of me.

I know that this model doesn’t fit with my usual of modern warships but my excuse is that HMS Victory is still in commission as the Flagship of CinC Fleet and features on the back of my Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

So starting in the usual fashion with the contents and packaging label

33847430073_6e0d4a5a5d_k.jpg

34271893270_d6bc998177_k.jpg

The hull is cast in resin to a good standard

34271902400_9526f5b6d8_k.jpg

the mast and spars are white metal with PE ratline. I bought the extra fret for the sails.

The following pictures are my progress of my build so far. Much of it has been a lesson in hand painting which was made easier by using Vallejo acrylics.

33817009404_4947b9e08b_k.jpg

35412105616_4f311d9c96_k.jpg

34700197933_88f8f4603e_k.jpg

34700203273_d5f459bf20_k.jpg

35546040111_4285f8ef54_k.jpg

35546047511_fd15f625ae_k.jpg

35636776136_decf60a01a_k.jpg

Rigging is 80wt cotton thread.

More to follow soon.

Thanks for looking. :thanks:

Edited by Paul E
correction
  • Like 12

this s a very nifty little Victory and something I did not know existed - your work looks very good - ideal for a potential Trafalgar diorama perhaps - its going to look splendid once she has her sails or are you going to pose her in her dry dock at Portsmouth

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

this s a very nifty little Victory and something I did not know existed - your work looks very good - ideal for a potential Trafalgar diorama perhaps - its going to look splendid once she has her sails or are you going to pose her in her dry dock at Portsmouth

Thank you,

Have you looked at the Naval Models and Books website www.navymodelsandbooks.co.uk they have a number of sailing ships in their range and not just ships of the line. If this model turns out OK I may do some more of these.

In answer to your question, I am posing the model with sails set on a sea base. 

• Like 1

Got to get one of then and this is why,hope you don,t mind,for anyone the Dockyard Museum at Portsmouth ,should be on everyone ones bucket list,was there in June,superb weather helped as well.

lxNVZf6.jpg

MRn5VXW.jpg

fzFnFWT.jpg

4Vsznfk.jpg

gkC4kif.jpg

f0HNdDN.jpg

UqJSjHa.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Chewitt said:

Dockyard Museum at Portsmouth ,should be on everyone ones bucket list

I agree. I went last year and although I'm not into ships, it's a fascinating place and I enjoyed it immensely.

Good job on your model so far Paul - excellent painting.

• Like 2

Thank for the comments and thoughts they are much appreciated. :thanks:

Here are some pictures of progress from this weekend.

I have fitted the mizzen mast, added the Photo Etch ratlines/shrouds from the kit and rigged the back stays.

35025699323_a3b0f95786_k.jpg 

35631104702_b8de741981_k.jpg 

35759830196_9a748a3fae_k.jpg 

34995260194_6617e88ad1_k.jpg 

Pictures could have been better I’m afraid but at least you can get an idea of progress.

My next job is to fit the spars.

Enjoy and thanks for looking. :thanks:

• Like 7

Hi Paul I have a few old drawings of Victory given to me by a friend if you like I could send them to you by E-mail

Looking great BTW

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

beefy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Paul I have a few old drawings of Victory given to me by a friend if you like I could send them to you by E-mail

Looking great BTW

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

beefy

Thank you beefy they look great and would be very helpful.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, Martian Hale said:

This is very interesting! Methinks I need to check out this range. Great work!

Martian

Thank you Martian, There is are plenty of interesting models in the range and well worth a look.

Thank you for the comments and help Beefy. I had a look at the rigging plan and I am deciding how far I should go.

Back to the model and I have added the spars and started adding the the sails;

35134188403_c9f9907cd1_k.jpg

35134195643_8826d2aabc_k.jpg

I shaped the sails with my fingers and for the square sails I used the tags to hang the sails on to the yards.

And then it was back to rigging;

35587390860_205360ac43_k.jpg

35136622314_aac825b34c_k.jpg

I am using Nano silk which is used for making fishing flies for the running rigging. I discovered that this can be easily separated into its constituent strands which means you can make the tread as thick or as thin as you like. I did start using a single strand but realised it was invisible to the naked eye and too thin for the type of rigging I was trying to portray. So I reverted back to using multiple strands.

I am now at the point of fitting the Jib sails which I have yet to complete;

35136627474_8febeec6ba_k.jpg

By the way the ship’s sails are set for being on a broad reach and there is a slight list to starboard both of which are not clear from the photographs.

The end is getting closer, I still have to fit the jib sails and sort out the wake on the model base, the anchors and the Ensign to fit, oh and some more rigging……

All being well I should finish Victory this week. :yahoo:

Thank you for looking :thanks:

• Like 6

Thank you, they really are good kits and I don't think that they need too much effort to achieve a good result.

I am considering buying a couple more of these to build a diorama, but that is a project for the long term future.

I am looking forward to see how your Royal Sovereign comes out.

Now that is looking spectacular!!

Difficult to believe that it's around 100mm long o'all (If my calculations are correct)

Kev

PS what size nano silk are you using and is it lint free?

Edited by longshanks

So in answer to Longshanks question, the silk thread is lint free and I think the 50D on the reel means 50 Denier.

35867427021_d5d2895251_b.jpg

I thought I should also show some pictures of how I have set the sails which wasn’t very apparent from the previous pictures:

35189514983_02f4395fd0_k.jpg

I have also added the final jib sails, so it is down to some more rigging and the final bits and pieces.

35189520353_052fc3217f_k.jpg

Enjoy. :thanks:

• Like 7

Thanks Paul, that's a great help

I'm amazed at how your Victory is turning out. quite beautiful.

When I read PE sails I thought that's a recipe for a nightmare but they seem to have gone in well and certainly look the part

Kev

• Like 1

I have now finished my model of HMS Victory having applied the wake, the White Ensign, and the flag of a Vice Admiral at the Main Mast head depicting Victory as she was in 1805 prior to the Battle of Trafalgar.

In summary this turned out to be a nice kit to build and went together quite easily. There are one or two minor things I would do differently next time. The ratlines were slightly awkward as they had to be trimmed to fit and I could have done better. The other thing is that I would add a small piece of styrene strip so that the yards stand further forward of the mast.  

I have designs on making more of these and I have an idea of a diorama of a frigate on frigate clash from the American War of 1812.  However this is a long term aim and I have plenty of other models to build first.

Anyway here are pictures of the completed model of HMS Victory;

36084730295_9ac03ea78c_k.jpg

35244283594_f136da0a7c_k.jpg

36045008996_27265fee88_k.jpg

35276085223_6b1ac524c5_k.jpg

I will post pictures in the Ready For Inspection forum in due course.

Thank you for following and the kind comments, :thanks:

Enjoy.  

Edited by Paul E
spelling/grammar
  • Like 8