PVA and Canopies - Advice Required

BIG X

I would recommend Gator Glue. He makes both normal and thin varieties, and they work very well:

http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder.html

If you can't get it, or prefer not to try, a good PVA white glue, thinned with a little water does the job beautifully, plus you can wipe off excess with a moist cotton bud.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Coutinho said:

I'm a complete noob and am about to build my first model. So using the plastic cement used on the rest of the model for canopies is a bad idea because of fogging. I should just use regular super glue?

I reckon just keep it simple to start with.

You will be OK to use your normal model glue on your canopy. Just be careful using it, not too much so as not to get any on the clear parts that you don't want it on. As you get more experience you will find out about different methods of attaching the clear bits.

If you use super glue you may get fogging of the clear part from the fumes as the super glue goes off, that's why people who do use super glue clear coat the part first to help reduce the chance of fogging.

16 minutes ago, Devo said:

I reckon just keep it simple to start with.

You will be OK to use your normal model glue on your canopy. Just be careful using it, not too much so as not to get any on the clear parts that you don't want it on. As you get more experience you will find out about different methods of attaching the clear bits.

If you use super glue you may get fogging of the clear part from the fumes as the super glue goes off, that's why people who do use super glue clear coat the part first to help reduce the chance of fogging.

Everyday I research this hobby it looks more and more like building the model is harder than building the real deal!

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

On 30/07/2017 at 7:06 PM, John Laidlaw said:

If you can't get it, or prefer not to try, a good PVA white glue, thinned with a little water does the job beautifully, plus you can wipe off excess with a moist cotton bud.

As suggested by John, the PVA woodworking glue from your local DIY shop or store works well for me also(just use a tooth/cocktail stick).........as mentioned, it dries clear and can be wiped off and if at sometime something becomes loose in the cockpit or fine dust appears on the inside of the canaopy, you can remove the canopy to rectify fault very easily

• Like 1

I used polystyrene glues on canopies for decades without ever getting fogging, though I did ruin a few by over-generous application and the odd fingerprint.  Fortunately I was warned off the superglues before I tried them.  I've used variations of Crystal Clear/PVA ever since they appeared on the model market with many fewer problems.  We do tend to over-complicate modelling in the search for perfection.  Some people have to have that, but for me it only lead to over-spending and reduced enthusiasm.   That doesn't stop me trying the odd new product, given good comments elsewhere, but the idea that super-modelling is only one or two buys around the corner lacks whatever conviction it ever had.

• Like 1