AW159 Wildcat

Slater

We waited 40-odd years for some large scale Lynx, and as modern helicopters seem to be ignored for the most part by the kitmakers I have to say I'm not holding my breath. With specific regard to Academy, they never brought out the Super Lynx until they reboxed the Airfix kit.

I'm thinking about starting a 1/72 conversion, but am stuck for decent drawings. The loss of pictures from threads on 'other sites' of similar conversions is galling, and the one in 1/48 on here petered out ( although the excellent thread up to the point it stopped is still intact with pictures )

19 hours ago, T7 Models said:

We waited 40-odd years for some large scale Lynx, and as modern helicopters seem to be ignored for the most part by the kitmakers I have to say I'm not holding my breath. With specific regard to Academy, they never brought out the Super Lynx until they reboxed the Airfix kit.

But as far as I know there are Lynxes in 1/48 by Airfix and ony in 1/32 by Revell now!

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, JagRigger said:

I'm thinking about starting a 1/72 conversion, but am stuck for decent drawings. The loss of pictures from threads on 'other sites' of similar conversions is galling, and the one in 1/48 on here petered out ( although the excellent thread up to the point it stopped is still intact with pictures )

There is a very good drawing here;

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/helicopters/agusta/40936/view/agustawestland_aw159/

The basic list of things you'll need to do are:

• scratchbuild the new horizontal and vertical fins
  • scratchbuild a new tail boom (not too hard as it's all slab sided - the real thing is of a monolithic construction)
  • modify the tail rotor blades to look the new profile and fully articulated version
  • modify the nose
  • modify the sponsons
  • change the cockpit doors
  • scratchbuild an entire new top deck & exhaust

I'm toying with the idea of the conversion too, it's hard enough even when I have access to all the CAD models for the 159!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Any thoughts on uploading to Shapeways?  :devil::evil_laugh:

😂 I'm sure there are a few people who'd like to get their hands on that (the *wrong* hands that is).

There are a few ok CAD models about on 3D warehouse, these could be imported into CAD and scaled. I also have a CAD model of the tailboom in 1/72 scale and I'm working on the nose. The main problem is the top deck/engine cowls are horrendous to model - infact, it's somewhat beyond my abilities as a junior design engineer!

• Like 1