Airfix 1/72nd Eurofighter F2

Rodders

Hi All,

I don't like moaning about a kit as a company doesn't purposefully try to make a bad kit as it must cost a lot to bring a kit to market  but i've took the Airfix 1/72nd Eurofighter out of the stash and try and build it. I've rescibed it(something i've only done this once before and have slipped a bit) and was looking at no detail behind the cockpit and nothing in the engine area. I've tried to search for pictures but can't find anything. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to find any photos. I think the Airfix kit is based on the prototype but i'm no expert. I was also thinking of trying to get the Pavla set which is made for the Revell kit.

anyone help,

Thanks,

Rodders.

The kit isn't even based on the prototype, it's based on the initial mock-ups of what was then EFA before the Development Aircraft were even built. It amazes me that Airfix keep re-popping it to be honest...

You won't get photos up the intakes of an RAF Typhoon because, well, it's not allowed (no, I can't say why). There should be plenty of the exhausts online though.

1 minute ago, Bobski said:

The kit isn't even based on the prototype, it's based on the initial mock-ups of what was then EFA before the Development Aircraft were even built. It amazes me that Airfix keep re-popping it to be honest...

You won't get photos up the intakes of an RAF Typhoon because, well, it's not allowed (no, I can't say why). There should be plenty of the exhausts online though.

thanks Bobski. I had a look after posting and found the same thing from others. I think i'll just build it as a practise piece. It could really do with a new tool from Airfix.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers,

Rodders.

23 hours ago, Rodders said:

thanks Bobski. I had a look after posting and found the same thing from others. I think i'll just build it as a practise piece. It could really do with a new tool from Airfix.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers,

Rodders.

If you want a decent Typhoon, it's a toss-up between Revell and Hasegawa. Both have issues (Revell's fit is a pain in places and Hasegawa's needs a new seat and is expensive) but they build into decent models of the real thing.

On 7/6/2017 at 0:44 PM, Bobski said:

You won't get photos up the intakes of an RAF Typhoon because, well, it's not allowed (no, I can't say why) ............

Been there .... done that ..... deleted the images ..... but rather oddly noticed at an airshow soon after that while the RAF Typhoons had their intakes carefully blanked off those on an adjoining Eurofighter from another European nation were left open to the air and passing cameras , have also seen them very clearly visible as the backdrop to TV interviews with senior RAF Officers and during TV reports from the production line at Warton rejoicing in the success/bemoaning the collapse of the UK Aviation Industry depending on the official news policy of the day.    

Although not quite as 'secret' as the few feet of padded wall covering visible through the open door of the Sentinel R.1 and the 'no photographs at all of the aircraft even from a couple of hundred yards away if the door is open' order given to photographers at one airfield even although one had been at an airshow with the barriers allowing access almost within touching distance of the open door a few weeks earlier and the crew seeming apparently indifferent to the cameras pointed that way.

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 0:44 PM, Bobski said:

bobski i know very little about the Typhoon The kit isn't even based on the prototype, it's based on the initial mock-ups of what was then EFA before the Development Aircraft were even built. It amazes me that Airfix keep re-popping it to be honest...

Thanks all for the help. Bobski i know very little about the Typhoon but i have one of the books that SAM publications did on the Typhoon which has pictures of what i think is the prototype in black and white. Could i paint it as that one at a push and would i need to add anything or take anything away. 

Hope it's ok to ask,

Cheers,

Rodders

On 9/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, Rodders said:

Thanks all for the help. Bobski i know very little about the Typhoon but i have one of the books that SAM publications did on the Typhoon which has pictures of what i think is the prototype in black and white. Could i paint it as that one at a push and would i need to add anything or take anything away. 

Hope it's ok to ask,

Cheers,

Rodders

At a push you could, but it still wouldn't be correct. Your best bet for a prototype would be to try and find some photos of DA2 in its all black scheme and paint it as that.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

If you want to do a protoype the italeri kit is as per them. Also revell have a new tool out which doesn't have the awful build issues the previous tool has 

You must have had a different new-tool Revell Typhoon than me, because mine had all of the same fit issues as the older kit. Was not impressed to pay more money for fewer parts and the same fit problems.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 12:23 PM, Bobski said:

At a push you could, but it still wouldn't be correct. Your best bet for a prototype would be to try and find some photos of DA2 in its all black scheme and paint it as that.

Thanks Bobski i might give that a go. Never done a black scheme,

Cheers,

rodders.

On 13/09/2017 at 12:17 PM, Bobski said:

You must have had a different new-tool Revell Typhoon than me, because mine had all of the same fit issues as the older kit. Was not impressed to pay more money for fewer parts and the same fit problems.

Yep, sayign that did quite a bit of wing root sanding after I posted that, I will say though unless I've always had the absolutly worst copies of the old tool, and best one of the new, I'd have the new every day, thoough oncue I run out of spare decals sheets and asraams from the old one I agree about the extra cost plus less parts point.