On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, Uncle Dick said:

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the fuel tank sloshing issues - do they not have the anti slosh foam or internal baffle structure to minimise the effect of slosh and cg issues?????

No foam.  Some external tanks have internal baffles, some don't.  Remember they are intended to be disposable, so their cost and complexity is generally kept to a minimum.  Additionally baffles add weight, and every ounce of weight on an aircraft is agonized over at the design stage.  In the F-15 the engineers argued for quite some time over whether to include the retractable step, due to weight.  The thing probably contributes five pounds to a 45,000 pound jet, but it was still seriously examined.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

Now that would be an interesting topic to see cross sections (length and diameter) of all the major well known fighter/attack aircraft external fuel tanks (not to mention the internal fuel tank configuration) over the years so we can appreciate the engineering that goes into such matters!

Thank you all for the informative replies.

Edited by Uncle Dick

On 7/14/2017 at 05:11, canberra kid said:

I don't know if these photos help? I took them of the RN Phantom nose at RAF Cosford

John

Something looks not quite right with this seat. I'm sure that there should be a back pad  between the parachute pack and the PSP (covering the Black bit marked 32). On further examination I think that the seat pad on the top of the PSP (what the pilot sits on, its usually a black shaped padded cushion) is missing  and  I think the green back pad has actually fallen forward forward onto the PSP in its place.

Try this

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/333089

Selwyn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Something looks not quite right with this seat. I'm sure that there should be a back pad  between the parachute pack and the PSP (covering the Black bit marked 32). On further examination I think that the seat pad on the top of the PSP (what the pilot sits on, its usually a black shaped padded cushion) is missing  and  I think the green back pad has actually fallen forward forward onto the PSP in its place.

Try this

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/333089

Selwyn

Selwyn

It's not my field but someone told me it is actually the back seat that is in the front in this case.

John

1 minute ago, canberra kid said:

Selwyn

It's not my field but someone told me it is actually the back seat that is in the front in this case.

John

John ,

That wouldn't make a difference, the straps and pad arrangement would be the same for both the front and rear seats. There are definitely bits of  safety equipment missing in that picture. (all the seat survival pack, parachute and straps are called collectively the seat safety equipment by the way, and is usually  serviced independently of the actual seat.)

Selwyn

• Like 2

On 7/15/2017 at 04:21, canberra kid said:

Some drawings with nothing missing! :)

John

Looking at the strap arrangement on these seat diagrams  it looks like that this is the original strap arrangement that was modified  probably around 1980 (ish) to long straps. (harriers were modified 1981)

The original straps  had Koch fasteners (seen in the first picture). The pilot wore what was called a combined harness which was a jacket affair and the koch fasteners were the parachute strap connectors that clipped onto the jacket in the upper chest area. this arrangement was common to of most RAF fast jet aircraft in the 1970's.

if I recall pilots found it uncomfortable, and there were a few instances of one of the koch fasteners disconnecting on ejection, so in the early 1980's all aircraft had these type straps changed to long straps that reached down to the waist area and connected to a round  quick release box. If you look at the  original cockpit photographs you can see these long straps.

Selwyn

• Like 2

Nice pictures John and Scimitar! I have been thinking about buying a boat and now I have found it:lol: Got to get one of these.

It seems that using pictures from both FG.1 and FGR.2 Aircrew Manuals one can get the harness spot on. Am I right that AL 13 was the last FG.1 manual revision? My copy is also revised to that status.

John, do you happen to have Flight Reference Cards for the British Phantom?

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Nice pictures John and Scimitar! I have been thinking about buying a boat and now I have found it:lol: Got to get one of these.

It seems that using pictures from both FG.1 and FGR.2 Aircrew Manuals one can get the harness spot on. Am I right that AL 13 was the last FG.1 manual revision? My copy is also revised to that status.

John, do you happen to have Flight Reference Cards for the British Phantom?

Best Regards,

Antti

Me too Antti, I wouldn't mind her to help me crew it too :) I don't know for sure if it was the last version of the FG.1's pilots notes but I suspect so. I don't have the FRC's but I'm trying to get a copy if I do I'll let you know.

John

• Like 1

Fantastic stuff John! Thank you for sharing:)

My copy of the FG.1 Aircrew Manual has only five parts (the fifth being cockpit illustrations) but no part six. So those illustrations you posted must come from another source. A Weapons Manual of some sort perhaps?

I don't have the performance manual either but I do have that for the F-4J and F-4E. It would be really interesting to see the AN/APG-59 (radar) and AWG-10 (fire control system) manuals. I guess they are still kept in a vault...

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Fantastic stuff John! Thank you for sharing:)

My copy of the FG.1 Aircrew Manual has only five parts (the fifth being cockpit illustrations) but no part six. So those illustrations you posted must come from another source. A Weapons Manual of some sort perhaps?

I don't have the performance manual either but I do have that for the F-4J and F-4E. It would be really interesting to see the AN/APG-59 (radar) and AWG-10 (fire control system) manuals. I guess they are still kept in a vault...

Best Regards,

Antti

Antti

The weapons info is in here,(photo below) I have the performance AP but nothing on the radar other than what's covered in the weapons AP.

F4d_zpsyxwd87qn.jpg

John 

• Like 2

That manual wouldnt happen to mention which of the 4 Sidewinder positions would fire first (assuming no errors during the firing sequence) would it?

Or is it simple a case of manual selection by the pilot?

• Like 1

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

I think either David Gledhill or Ian Black (both former RAF Phantom Navigators) discussed this in their Phantom books. All I have to do is to find that chapter. But there was a certain sequence if no alternative manual selections were made.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

That manual wouldnt happen to mention which of the 4 Sidewinder positions would fire first (assuming no errors during the firing sequence) would it?

I think it may well do, I will have a look, I'm off out soon so it may be tomorrow before I get chance though.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Murph said:

If I got into a visual fight, I would have punched the tanks off.  The same was true back in Vietnam.

Regards,

Murph

Tell that to Curtis Dose, he kept his centerline tank on his MiG killing mission of 10 May, 1972.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, silverkite211 said:

Tell that to Curtis Dose, he kept his centerline tank on his MiG killing mission of 10 May, 1972.

If you have a relevant point, feel free to make it.  I'd be more than happy to discuss fighter tactics with Dose, based on my time actually flying fighters and instructing others on the subject.  The standard in a visual fight was/is to get rid of any excessive weight and drag.  Exceptions are just that: exceptions.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Certainly the RAF Phantoms in Deci for ACMI had the Sgt & Fletcher wing tanks removed prior to playing games with the baddies.

And the word around the street at Wildenrath was that if sent off for real, SOP for the jets would be afterburner to get up and punch the wing tanks off asap.

On 7/15/2017 at 7:12 AM, RMP2 said:

A bit late to the party with an answer to this.

The standard firing sequence for the Sidewinders was:- left O/B, right O/B, left I/B, right I/B.

The Sparrow/Skyflash sequence was:- left fwd, right fwd, left rear, right rear.

If a centreline tank or recce pod was loaded the front 2 missiles couldn't be fired or jettisoned until the c/l store was jettisoned.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 11:15 AM, silverkite211 said:

8 hours ago, Murph said:

If you have a relevant point, feel free to make it.  I'd be more than happy to discuss fighter tactics with Dose, based on my time actually flying fighters and instructing others on the subject.  The standard in a visual fight was/is to get rid of any excessive weight and drag; exceptions are exceptions.

Regards,

Murph

Don't know the circumstances of Curtis Dose's engagement of the MiG, or what missile he used. The missile of choice in Vietnam seemed to be the AIM7 Sparrow. 

With the centreline tank left on the aircraft the forward 2 AIM7's can't be used, as they would hit the tank on release. This would severely restrict the number of the favourite missiles for use in that situation.

• Thanks 1