Lightning OCU Squadron Numberplate

XV107

Good to see another bomber Sqn number going to a fast jet unit. I note some on PPrune and other fora are already foaming at the mouth! IMHO it's an inspired choice: evolved from 7Sqn RNAS; one of the leading Bomber Command Sqns and a Canberra and V-Bomber unit too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Matches the other F35 Sqns in having a bomber heritage. I half expected 208, as having both a proud naval Heritage and a long RAF one.

As noted elsewhere, I wonder if it was 207's Marham history that tipped the balance. Had it gone to Lossie then maybe it may have been 208?

• Like 1

It makes great sense with the 100th anniversary of the merging of the RNAS and the RFC to become the Royal Air Force coming up in April next year.

A really good choice in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

Seems an excellent choice to me, being an ex-RNAS squadron and with the Marham connection.  I wonder if they'll get the winged lion from the squadron badge on the tailplane like their Valiants had.  Btw, anyone know what happened to the planned two new Typhoon squadrons and OCU.  I really hope they get fighter squadron number plates (if it ever happens, that is).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Seems an excellent choice to me, being an ex-RNAS squadron and with the Marham connection.  I wonder if they'll get the winged lion from the squadron badge on the tailplane like their Valiants had.  Btw, anyone know what happened to the planned two new Typhoon squadrons and OCU.  I really hope they get fighter squadron number plates (if it ever happens, that is).

I think you'll find that no squadron markings are planned for any UK F-35s.

10 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

I think you'll find that no squadron markings are planned for any UK F-35s.

Yes, I did read that somewhere.  Clearly the MOD does not have modellers' welfare at heart. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I'd guess that 9 will become a Typhoon squadron, in the same way that 2 did - uncertainty over the extent of the F-35 buy returns, RAF eager to preserve most endangered historic numberplate if something gets in way of F-35 purchase (cancellation or delay on fiscal grounds). Probably be two more after that. Could be 12 and 31 (12 seems likely, again because very senior and desire to protect it; 31 perhaps assigned elsewhere, e.g. Protector squadron). 20, 23, 25 all possibles. 208 - perhaps earmarked for the next frontline F-35 squadron (again, naval connection) by 2023, although plenty of water to flow beneath the carrier before that comes about...

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1

Rumour has it that a further Hawk T.2 Sqn will be formed alongside IV(AC), I would bet one of the currently disbanded sqns in the 20 series will be earmarked for that (if true).

Mark

I forgot that the scenario will be complicated when 5 loses the Sentinel, since it is a particularly senior numberplate and is almost certain to reform - could be the final 'new' Typhoon squadron. The rumour about IV has variations - one theory is that rather than a second squadron, another numberplate (possibly 19) will be assigned to the Hawk squadron (hence 19's absence from some of the speculation about the Lightning OCU), and IV(AC) will re-equip as an F-35 unit or a Typhoon squadron.

This is based on the notion that we could then end up with 1, 2, 3 and 4 on Typhoons, plus 6, 9 [not a certainty] and 11. There are further suggestions that 29 will lose the 'R' suffix.

I wouldn't be surprised if, buy 2023, we don't have a force that looks something like this:

Typhoon - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 11, 12, 29

Lightning - 5, 207, 617, 809 + unknown

Protector - 13, 31, 39

Poseidon - 42, 120, 201

Hawk - 19

And Tigers (just cubs at the moment) have started stalking the corridors of power...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, XV107 said:

I'd guess that 9 will become a Typhoon squadron, in the same way that 2 did - uncertainty over the extent of the F-35 buy returns, RAF eager to preserve most endangered historic numberplate if something gets in way of F-35 purchase (cancellation or delay on fiscal grounds). Probably be two more after that. Could be 12 and 31 (12 seems likely, again because very senior and desire to protect it; 31 perhaps assigned elsewhere, e.g. Protector squadron). 20, 23, 25 all possibles. 208 - perhaps earmarked for the next frontline F-35 squadron (again, naval connection) by 2023, although plenty of water to flow beneath the carrier before that comes about...

As you say, all dependant on the F-35 purchase but 12 would be a candidate for F-35 if the whole fleet gets bought, I would have thought.  Personally I'd like the Typhoons to go to 'proper' fighter squadrons, bewring in mid the wholly air-air role they'll undertake.  19 must be a candidate, surely.  Be nice to see 111 markings on a Typhoon but if the RAF insists on going for seniority then maybe 12 or XV will get allocated.  My money would still be on 12 being set aside for F-35, together with another naval squadron as has been officially announced.  OCU for Typhoons?  Maybe in the 200 range.  It would be great to see them in 10 Naval's stripped nose.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XV107 said:

I forgot that the scenario will be complicated when 5 loses the Sentinel, since it is a particularly senior numberplate and is almost certain to reform - could be the final 'new' Typhoon squadron. The rumour about IV has variations - one theory is that rather than a second squadron, another numberplate (possibly 19) will be assigned to the Hawk squadron (hence 19's absence from some of the speculation about the Lightning OCU), and IV(AC) will re-equip as an F-35 unit or a Typhoon squadron.

This is based on the notion that we could then end up with 1, 2, 3 and 4 on Typhoons, plus 6, 9 [not a certainty] and 11. There are further suggestions that 29 will lose the 'R' suffix.

I wouldn't be surprised if, buy 2023, we don't have a force that looks something like this:

Protector - 13, 31, 39

Poseidon - 42, 120, 201

Hawk - 19

And Tigers (just cubs at the moment) have started stalking the corridors of power...

Sorry, forgot abouot 9 sqn.

29 would still have an OCU function - it just wouldn't be a Reserve plated squadron any more. But the cunning plan may well change. I forgot about XV - something will have to be found for that!

27 minutes ago, XV107 said:

29 would still have an OCU function - it just wouldn't be a Reserve plated squadron any more. But the cunning plan may well change. I forgot about XV - something will have to be found for that!

So may number plates, so few planes.

• Like 1

I have a sneaky feeling traditional fighter Sqn numbers will stick to Typhoon, with ex-bomber plates for the F-35. 9(B) will surely be an F-35 unit. If 617 is, it has to be! 

Poseidon will have two Sqns max. IV will stay with the Hawk. Have they announced what the identity of the Texan II Sqn will be yet?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vickers McFunbus said:

I have a sneaky feeling traditional fighter Sqn numbers will stick to Typhoon, with ex-bomber plates for the F-35. 9(B) will surely be an F-35 unit. If 617 is, it has to be! 

Poseidon will have two Sqns max. IV will stay with the Hawk. Have they announced what the identity of the Texan II Sqn will be yet?

I was assuming 72, with 45 for the Phenom

2 hours ago, Vickers McFunbus said:

Poseidon will have two Sqns max

120 and 201, but 42 mooted as the OCU (translating the intended laydown for the MRA4 fleet before 2010).

72 and 45 favoured as the numberplates for the Texan/Phenom.

My remark regarding "flamboyant " squadron colours was tong in cheek, however, some outward recognition of the unit would be good for squadron moral surely?  I  suppose we we must be in the era now of the ultimate pooling of resources and that we should be thankful for what we have.

12 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I was assuming 72, with 45 for the Phenom

Indeed logical. However I expect it to depend on how the transition goes. 45 is a given, but as seen with the Prefect, 16 was planned to be the Sqn, but now they are have had to move and then subsequently to keep going to provide "legacy" Tutor EFT post SDSR15, 57 has effectively "lucked in" by a trick of geography. Any overlap in the Tucano/Texan could lead to a similar situation.

4 hours ago, GMK said:

Maybe one squadron number plate per jet?

I believe there was once talk of splitting squadrons in to flights and giving each flight squadron status, thus doubling the number of squadron number plates in use.  It sounds silly but I think that's what the Armee' de l'Air do.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I believe there was once talk of splitting squadrons in to flights and giving each flight squadron status, thus doubling the number of squadron number plates in use.  It sounds silly but I think that's what the Armee' de l'Air do.  

What, come again? You mean a Sqn Ldr commanding a squadron? 

Get a grip man, it'd never catch on!:P

• Like 1

On 06/07/2017 at 8:02 PM, XV107 said:

Protector - 13, 31, 39

Poseidon - 42, 120, 201

Poseidon Squadrons confirmed as 120 and 201, so only three numerals need to be ordered for the doorplates