RAF Pony Pair - UPDATED 13/07

Hi all!

My latest two completions, a pair of RAF highback Mustangs.

First up is the Accurate Miniatures Kit converted to a Mk.1 using the Ultracast conversion. Wing panel lines filled to simulate the putty used by NAA. Eduard Seatbelts, prop and exhaust stolen from an Eduard P-39 kit. Tamiya paints including a home-made 'Mixed Grey' from Tamiya MSG and Black. Decals from the Spares box to represent and aircraft of 26 Squadron. AM148 later became a test aircraft for Rolls-Royce.

I'm sure this is a lovely kit however my butchery to fit the Ultracast conversion didn't help!!!

Nb5bycs.jpg

8eXnGoT.jpg

HpHVjrk.jpg

OCTyIA6.jpg

Second is the Tamiya P-51B built as Mk.III. Wing panel lines filled again, Eduard seatbelts, Rob Taurus vac canopy. Tamiya paints and Techmod decals to represent the aircraft of Sqn Ldr Bohdan Arct of 316 (Polish) Squadron. He bailed out of this aircraft and was captured in September 1944 after an engine failure.

Not much else to say about the Tamiya kit, it's an absolute beauty!

Yw1aIa1.jpg

eNDQYlg.jpg

MRQHY8j.jpg

JuVt9Vh.jpg

As with the Fw190 thread, apologies for the out of focus pictures. It's 50 degrees outside and I don't want to go back outside to take new ones!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Edited by airbus320
  • Like 25

Arct was flying in FB351 SZ*B on 6 September 1944, not FB374.

IMG_zpspuuvw272.jpg

FB374 and pilot were lost on 2 October 1944 when Sgt Bardecki failed to level out from a steep dive during a formation flying execise. Crashed near Catfield.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, airbus320 said:

As with the Fw190 thread, apologies for the out of focus pictures. It's 50 degrees outside and I don't want to go back outside to take new ones!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

I was wondering at the sheer intensity of the light. There's no hiding place for a sloppy build in those conditions. They both pass that test easily. Well done.

Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

303 thanks for the correction. I think this model will have a change of serial number in the near future as the Techmod sheet has it as HB930!!!

Chris

Don't know where Techmod got HB930 from and I cannot recall any reference using that serial number.

There should also be a S/Ldr pennant on both sides of the fuselage (confirmed by photographs).

FB374 was built as a P-51C with USAAF serial no 42-103524 and finished at the factory in the Land Temperate scheme A pattern. After delivery it spent some time in storage until the end of June 1944 when it was allocated to 316 Squadron and the newly appointed commander, S/Ldr Arct, chose it as his personnal aircraft and had it coded 'A'. At this time the scoreboard stood as two confirmed, one probable, and two damaged, represented by black, red, and yellow crosses. During July/August two V1 kill markings were added below the scoreboard (one of the V1s was downed by FB374 on 13th July). On 14th August Arct was credited with a Bf 109 destroyed while flying FB374. A black cross was added on top of the earlier red cross which was reapplied at the end of the row.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

The Malcolm is needed at Duxford.

Yep i have it photographed as it came in without and the firedepartment was picking up the pieces,

thankgod i have a few nice ones as it was taxiing before it happened.

It was one of my highlights today at Duxford..together with the Comet racer...

With thanks to 303sqn, I have now carried out a couple of corrections to the Mk.III

The serial on the Techmod sheet, HB930, is not correct. The actual serial was FB374. As a Squadron Leader, Arct had a rank pennant painted on the forward fuselage. These have now been added.

Thanks again to 303 for the information.

Chris

g0ZQAj0.jpg

erGoRMK.jpg

IKvnycC.jpg

• Like 1