1/72 Tornado pylons

fatalbert

Hi everyone,I was digging around in the stash over the weekend and I came across an old Airfix Tornado GR1,a clunky old kit as you all probably know.Well I was looking at it and Its wing sweep mechanism and it got me wondering about the pylons,has anyone built a Tornado with working swing wings and pylons that pivot correctly with the sweep.What do you guys n gals recon,doable?

My Feeling is that 1/72 wings just offer not enough space to have a robust mechanism. As you'd have to scratchbuild it, you'd have to be precise. --- Is it a General q. on feasibility in 72nd, or would you consider to try it on that kit ? The Revell kit in particular would certainly be a somewhat more worthy Receiver (and I say that as a dedicated Airfixionado who doesn't dismiss a kit purely because it's old...).

• Like 1

Just a feasibility query really,I was thinking along the lines of some sort of connecting link to tie the individual pylons together on each wing,but whether each wing could be linked together is another thing entirely.

Just curious,my mind goes of tangents like this sometimes lol

Hi there

Well after looking comments about the Tornado in 1/72 scale and just pilled up the stock of them, during the build up process I got into the trouble of the movable pylons and stop the construction to them, just after the dry fitting and the light of all previous assembled kits have trouble with wings because the pylons (specially after I forgot to put the washers inside the wings of a Revell sample)

So

Monogram, for this one I found one old decaless kit but a brieft look it seem that the pylons can be possitionable but not removable (only kit with twin bomb pylon but bombs not worthy of use)

Italeri well let me say that lots of wonderful color schemes but the worst wing movable mechanism (same applied to their F-14, on my kids hand wing last only couple of times before one wing fall down)

Hasegawa Tornado GR1 and F-2/3 no mayor support of the wing pylons, sugestions: 1st to glue them on fixed position, 2nd to put a plastic filling and a metal rod so it was a bit possionable and removable

Revell not Monogram (because at Scalemates you can find that they also boxed some of this origin) very complex main u/c assembly better to glue before paining to got a very good fix (then masking is our ally) nice wing moving assembly but the wing pylons pins, as those are to skinny and after reading here that they are the weakest part of the kit, my plan is to do metal pins and fill all the wing point with CA glue.

For the Airfix kit I have no comment as I only got an old kit and striped of the useful metal parts and trow the rest away long ago to remember something about it

Well there I hope some of the later become useful to tome of you

Armando

Thanks Armando,I think the locating pins for the pylons will need to be replaced with brass rod when I do mine,or at least small pins.