RC135 Rivet Joint

GordonM

Anyone know how many Rivet Joints the 95RS at Mildenhall fly? So far this morning I've had a constant stream departing over my house. Not seen them all, but I think it's at least 6, possibly 8 aircraft. As there's apparently 32 aircraft (according to wiki) I'm guessing that's all the Mildenhall aircraft out? 

Hi there,

Not an expert, but would seriously doubt that there would be 8 at Mildenhall all launching in a single morning. The spotters forums would be going absolutely daft; it would mean that some really serious stuff is about to occur (or already has).

However, I don't live anywhere even remotely near Mildenhall, so please feel free to prove me wrong!! Please don't think that I'm calling your eyesight into question, but I think it is more likely that it is either a couple of planes up, or a single aircraft doing "circuits and bumps" as crew training.

Near the end of June President Assad toured a number of Russian bases in Syria and a significant number of assets "happened" to be in the area - a RC-135V, a RC-135U and a P-8A. In addition, a WC-135C "Constant Phoenix" has been at Mildenhall for about the last week - when these deploy it means something is up - they are "sniffing" for traces of CBRN weapons being used. Coincided with comments/warnings from the WhiteHouse about using chemical weapons. It has flown at least one mission to the Middle East.....

You can sometimes follow these flights on Flightradar24, but the best bet/free of charge web for following military a/c is ADS-B Exchange:-

https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

Click on the tab "Global Radar View" and you can move to whatever area you want to view.

The best, in my opinion, military enthusiast site is FighterControl - here is the page for the WC-135C:-

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148543 

Hope that helps!

All the best,

M

Edited by Sky dancer
Further info.

Obviously having a brainfart I should have considered the 15/20 min gap would make sense as a circuit and bump 

Hi,

There is a RC-135W currently inbound to Mildenhall, appears to be returning from the Baltic (ADSB usually drops out when they go "operational"). It is listed as 62-4138, using the callsign "Lindy 65".

Edited by Sky dancer
Correction of serial no. !!

Is it possible that there might be extra RC-135 aircraft on temporary duty at Mildenhall. Maybe because of heightened tensions with the G-20 summit taking place this weekend ?  Considering the rise of attacks by isis and its affiliates. Also with tensions still going over Ukraine and other russian buildup to the east. Nato might want extra coverage.