Can anyone post Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 painting/marking instructions?

SeaVenom

14 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Mea culpa.  Guess I'll go sit in a corner and wear the dunce hat. :)

As Troy says it does get a bit confusing.    It's only because of posters like Troy and others on here I feel much more enlightened.  I'd be pretty much in the dark otherwise as I used to trust that companies like Airfix had done their research.  Obviously they get it wrong sometimes though.

Here's a curiosity I've just found Troy........................

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2a/7b/d6/2a7bd6ee4bcca470c9194c52374ba8e4.jpg

Looks like the same aircraft but it looks odd to me.    It looks to me like the photo's might have been altered.   The colour looks a bit fake, the aircraft now have canopy mirrors and look at those bizarre what appear to be panel lines on the enging cowling.

34 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

Here's a curiosity I've just found Troy........................

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2a/7b/d6/2a7bd6ee4bcca470c9194c52374ba8e4.jpg

Looks like the same aircraft but it looks odd to me.    It looks to me like the photo's might have been altered.   The colour looks a bit fake, the aircraft now have canopy mirrors and look at those bizarre what appear to be panel lines on the enging cowling.

Looks like a computer-generated emulation to me.  It could be a colourised version of a similar image if such an image exists (the French article Troy posted had 2 of images of this formation and there could be more).  That said, the clarity of the ground details screams CGI to me, as do the differences in the actual airframes (like the mirrors and the antenna masts) which suggest a flight sim model was used with individual skins created to replicate the 73 Sqn markings.  

Edited by mhaselden

11 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Looks like a computer-generated emulation to me.  It could be a colourised version of a similar image if such an image exists (the French article Troy posted had 2 of images of this formation and there could be more).  That said, the clarity of the ground details screams CGI to me, as does the differences in the actual airframes (like the mirrors and the antenna masts) which suggest a flight sim model was used with individual skins created to replicate the 73 Sqn markings.  

That's what it could well be.   And if you look there's what looks like that same large forest on the right.  A bit further back in the b&w photo but I doubt they'd take another photo over the same area again.   

Edited by SeaVenom

1 hour ago, SeaVenom said:

That's what it could well be.   And if you look there's what looks like that same large forest on the right.  A bit further back in the b&w photo but I doubt they'd take another photo over the same area again.   

Hi

Well it it was me i would have taken more than one photo, just incase the first photo negative on the film was not good enough 

but nice all the props on the hurricanes are sync'd :) 

cheers

jerry

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Well it it was me i would have taken more than one photo, just incase the first photo negative on the film was not good enough 

but nice all the props on the hurricanes are sync'd :) 

cheers

jerry

Yes it would have been wise to take more than one photo and there's a few about which look like they're from the same shoot as Troy posted on the previous page.   I was talking more of another shoot on another day.  Mainly because the aircaft look different than in the original b & w shots but that colour picture could have been from the same shoot and someone's added mirrors etc by computer.

On 11/07/2017 at 03:09, mhaselden said:

These were probably all fabric wing airframes as deployed to France in 1940. 

Not meant as a dig Mark,  but while looking for something else,  re-found  the page of Hurricane wrecks,  here's a link to  various Hurricane wrecks in France in May/June 1940 pics

posted for the interior colours,  but note most are metal winged.  

The RAF lost 477 Hurricanes in France,  many in the later stages when the French were begging Churchill for more planes,  what Dowding called 'The Hurricane Tap'  

see here and the  next few pages for more on this 

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ly7BAgAAQBAJ&pg=PP153&lpg=PP153&dq=dowding+hurricane+tap&source=bl&ots=zV1h1UoEgG&sig=wDeWsAmXhxBbh1_PlkipNEJ5RdE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkm-z58ojVAhXJKsAKHeUzCIYQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=dowding hurricane tap&f=false 

cheers

T

On 7/5/2017 at 8:43 PM, SeaVenom said:

Cheers for those.   I know there's loads of photos of R4II8 on the web but I wanted to check as I had a feeling there was something about the markings that wasn't right as I remembered the discussions we had in the canopy mirror thread.....but couldn't remember exactly (I've now found the old thread again).    The dilema before was trying to find a BOB era plane with no mirror but that was a minefield and didn't work out so then I thought sod it I'll just use the box markings though I had to put finishing the plane on the backburner.   Unfortunately I forgot the extent of the problem with the Airfix markings.    Those guides you posted will be very helpful but question is what do I do now?

Do I use the markings in the box and have something that's a real plane but doubtful those markings were from the BOB era (plus of course not many options for weathering) or do I get some more decals that are BOB accurate?   Or is there a similar aircraft that I can do easily by just adding 1 or 2 new decals to the existing Airfix ones?

I just finished decalling my Airfix Hurricane and noticed something odd about the stencils. There are 3 markings for the fuel tanks that say "AVGAS 100LL." I'm pretty sure it's only called AVGAS here in the States, and 100LL (Low Lead) wasn't introduced until 1971. It appears that Airfix, or their decal artist, copied the stencilling off a post-war restoration that is currently US-based. The "FIRST AID" marking locator also looks suspiciously modern. There are also some prominent stencils missing like the Glycol mixture markings on each side of the radiator. Looks like I need to get the Aviaeology stencils for future builds.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I just finished decalling my Airfix Hurricane and noticed something odd about the stencils. There are 3 markings for the fuel tanks that say "AVGAS 100LL." I'm pretty sure it's only called AVGAS here in the States, and 100LL (Low Lead) wasn't introduced until 1971. It appears that Airfix, or their decal artist, copied the stencilling off a post-war restoration that is currently US-based. The "FIRST AID" marking locator also looks suspiciously modern. There are also some prominent stencils missing like the Glycol mixture markings on each side of the radiator. Looks like I need to get the Aviaeology stencils for future builds.

As stated, the R4118 decals are for the flying warbird.

It's quite possible the stencils are copied from the warbird, IMO Airfix did not have their A-team on the Hurricane, much to my frustration!

the Aviaelogy stencils look to be very well researched, note they have several variations for many of the stencils.

@Terry @ Aviaeology was posting here quite often at one point and was very informative.

Troy so have I got all this correct now?   Obviously Ducimous camouflage, 4 spoked wheels and black and white underside (though only the left main wing is black and the rest of the underneath is white?   I've read things like this thread but still in the dark a bit.......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36531-underside-color-for-spit-mk-is-and-hurricane-mk-is/

Also having looked at the Ducimous plans and other photo's.    I'm still not quite sure what size the underside roundels should be?

9 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Troy so have I got all this correct now?   Obviously Ducimous camouflage, 4 spoked wheels and black and white underside (though only the left main wing is black and the rest of the underneath is white?   I've read things like this thread but still in the dark a bit.......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36531-underside-color-for-spit-mk-is-and-hurricane-mk-is/

Also having looked at the Ducimous plans and other photo's.    I'm still not quite sure what size the underside roundels should be?

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

the image bottom left, split 50/50 B/W the roundel size varied ....

earlier

f828bfb203964194becad03fe3ef953f.jpg

the above underwing roundel is quite small, 30 or 35 inch.

later  BoF

large_000000.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-RAF-501Sqn-SDbeing-refu

note the bottom  two images are BoF,  but slightly later,  so I'd use those as a guide, 

these look to be 45 inch.  (see camo diagram)

HTH

Troy forgive me if I've missed something but in the bottom left 50/50 scheme you pointed out the left underside of the fuselage front and rear are obviously black but I couldn't help noticing in this photo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/83/0b/d1/830bd1e8e446b8075ea5193181d3fdd9--hawker-hurricane-air-force.jpg

the left front and rear looks like white?

Edited by SeaVenom

I was working on the assumption that the aircraft were repainted into the standard scheme, which was 50/50 black/white, on arrival in France,  

BUT if  it look light  at cowl/rear fuselage then plane  still in standard factory  scheme, bottom right of underside drawings, so undernose and rear fuselage/tail is aluminum dope.

factory fresh,  as aluminium dope is reflective  it can appear white,  note Aluminium undernose.

hurr1-12.jpg

On 18/07/2017 at 3:28 AM, VMA131Marine said:

I can assure you it's always been called AVGAS here in the UK too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I can assure you it's always been called AVGAS here in the UK too.

Fair enough! That leaves "100LL" as a definite anachronism then. Although, I will note that the Aviaeology Hurricane stencil sheets don't appear to have any markings for the fuel tanks so maybe the best course of action is to just leave those stencils off.

Yes, that decal should not appear on the SD-X version. The UP-W decal option was never intended to represent the aeroplane in 1940. It's an accurate decal sheet for the aeroplane as it is regularly seen in the skies over the UK today. The other decal option supplied in the kit is intended to be the ww2 option.

That's why the combat box top artwork is for the other option.

But yes, they messed up by failing to differentiate the stencils for the two different periods

Edited by Work In Progress

On 7/21/2017 at 0:43 PM, Troy Smith said:

I was working on the assumption that the aircraft were repainted into the standard scheme, which was 50/50 black/white, on arrival in France,  

BUT if  it look light  at cowl/rear fuselage then plane  still in standard factory  scheme, bottom right of underside drawings, so undernose and rear fuselage/tail is aluminum dope.

factory fresh,  as aluminium dope is reflective  it can appear white,  note Aluminium undernose.

hurr1-12.jpg

So basically I can either paint it aluminium front and back fuselage with black left wing [ the left wing doesn't have that reflection to my eyes in that 73 sqn photo? ] or the 50/50 scheme you pointed out which would've been added shortly after?