Can anyone post Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 painting/marking instructions?

SeaVenom

erm, there are lots of photos of the restored plane on the web, and as AFAIK, no pics of R4118 in these markings BoB era exist.

which was an answer to a previous question, and has more on this.

there is this in the Ducimus

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

I suspect this will be beter than the Airfix guide, I have a feeling they show the upperwing roundels too far out. Can't find a stencil guide,  well, apart from the Avieolgy decals,

AODxxS04_docsMAIN_fs.jpg

which a pic of the decal shet would show what goes where

AOD48S04_decal_fs.jpg

from http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/decals/aviaeologypreview_7.htm

looking at the above I note they have several stencil variations, neat attention to detail.

cant easily scan the instructions so hope this will do?

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

erm, there are lots of photos of the restored plane on the web, and as AFAIK, no pics of R4118 in these markings BoB era exist.

which was an answer to a previous question, and has more on this.

there is this in the Ducimus

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

I suspect this will be beter than the Airfix guide, I have a feeling they show the upperwing roundels too far out. Can't find a stencil guide,  well, apart from the Avieolgy decals,

AODxxS04_docsMAIN_fs.jpg

which a pic of the decal shet would show what goes where

AOD48S04_decal_fs.jpg

from http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/decals/aviaeologypreview_7.htm

looking at the above I note they have several stencil variations, neat attention to detail.

cant easily scan the instructions so hope this will do?

Cheers for those.   I know there's loads of photos of R4II8 on the web but I wanted to check as I had a feeling there was something about the markings that wasn't right as I remembered the discussions we had in the canopy mirror thread.....but couldn't remember exactly (I've now found the old thread again).    The dilema before was trying to find a BOB era plane with no mirror but that was a minefield and didn't work out so then I thought sod it I'll just use the box markings though I had to put finishing the plane on the backburner.   Unfortunately I forgot the extent of the problem with the Airfix markings.    Those guides you posted will be very helpful but question is what do I do now?

Do I use the markings in the box and have something that's a real plane but doubtful those markings were from the BOB era (plus of course not many options for weathering) or do I get some more decals that are BOB accurate?   Or is there a similar aircraft that I can do easily by just adding 1 or 2 new decals to the existing Airfix ones?

Edited by SeaVenom

4 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

If I'm missing something here then please correct me but there's this articke here....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11019066/Wing-Commander-Bob-Foster-obituary.html

surely if R4II8 had different markings in the BOB and the markings weren't accurate Bob would have noticed?

It's been commentated before that pilots are often poor people to ask about colour,  and I'd be very surprised if after 70 years you'd remember the 'font' of code letter and if your fin  flash was a square to full fin, plus  W.Cdr  Foster would have flown  more  aircraft, and seen lots and lots more,   and if you re-read my linked post,  we are dealing with ,  and depending on your view point, irrelevant nitpicking detail.

There was a post a while back  where Tony O Toole made comments that the BoB Memorial Flight had done their Hurricane inaccurately,  and they used to have it in Kuttlewasher's 'Night Reaper' scheme, which no-one seems to have seen a photo  of.

I'm not saying I know how R4118 was painted during the BoB,  what I was pointing  out  was given the date of service and delivery the 24x27 inch fin  flash was factory  applied, (and linked a close R**** serial example)  and that the only BoB era 605 sq photo I could find had different style of code letters.

Also, that R4118 when built would have had Spitfire Rotol prop, but when sent to India would have had a De Havilland metal blade unit fitted, as these were hat Tropical Mk.I's were fitted with, and this is what as found next to R4118 in India,in "Plane Resurrection"  they show the prop, and it's commented on how corroded the metal  was 

Rotol blades are compressed wood....

It's only been in the  past 5 years I came to realise just how "irregular"  RAF  code letter application was, especially during 1940,  there was no specfied "font",  no specified code running order, and the specified size originally of 48  inch just doesn't fit on.

If you don't have a photo, the  best  you can do is extrapolate, and code letter style tended to be similar in a given squadron at a given time.

So, what I said was a 'best  guess' and I try  explain the reasoning.   

If you don't want to tie yourself in knots, and wish to do R4118 in use the codes letters "as is"  but cut down the fin flash and use the Rotol prop.

I thought Airfix had included the 27x24 fin flash, but a  quick check shows not.

see here for more  on SD-X

I'd  not  be trusting Airfix Hurricane research too much, they stuffed up the codes letter order in the "Ready for Battle " box set, despite having  got them right in an earlier boxing of their old tool kit, and well... I could go but I now have company.

HTH

T

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It's been commentated before that pilots are often poor people to ask about colour,  and I'd be very surprised if after 70 years you'd remember the 'font' of code letter and if your fin  flash was a square to full fin, plus  W.Cdr  Foster would have flown  more  aircraft, and seen lots and lots more,   and if you re-read my linked post,  we are dealing with ,  and depending on your view point, irrelevant nitpicking detail.

There was a post a while back  where Tony O Toole made comments that the BoB Memorial Flight had done their Hurricane inaccurately,  and they used to have it in Kuttlewasher's 'Night Reaper' scheme, which no-one seems to have seen a photo  of.

I'm not saying I know how R4118 was painted during the BoB,  what I was pointing  out  was given the date of service and delivery the 24x27 inch fin  flash was factory  applied, (and linked a close R**** serial example)  and that the only BoB era 605 sq photo I could find had different style of code letters.

Also, that R4118 when built would have had Spitfire Rotol prop, but when sent to India would have had a De Havilland metal blade unit fitted, as these were hat Tropical Mk.I's were fitted with, and this is what as found next to R4118 in India,in "Plane Resurrection"  they show the prop, and it's commented on how corroded the metal  was 

Rotol blades are compressed wood....

It's only been in the  past 5 years I came to realise just how "irregular"  RAF  code letter application was, especially during 1940,  there was no specfied "font",  no specified code running order, and the specified size originally of 48  inch just doesn't fit on.

If you don't have a photo, the  best  you can do is extrapolate, and code letter style tended to be similar in a given squadron at a given time.

So, what I said was a 'best  guess' and I try  explain the reasoning.   

If you don't want to tie yourself in knots, and wish to do R4118 in use the codes letters "as is"  but cut down the fin flash and use the Rotol prop.

I thought Airfix had included the 27x24 fin flash, but a  quick check shows not.

see here for more  on SD-X

I'd  not  be trusting Airfix Hurricane research too much, they stuffed up the codes letter order in the "Ready for Battle " box set, despite having  got them right in an earlier boxing of their old tool kit, and well... I could go but I now have company.

HTH

T

Interesting points.   So let me get this right.    I should paint the camouflage like the example you've provided from the Ducimus and not as in the Airfix guide plus add the stencils like depicted from the Ducimus and the Avieology?

As for the Spitfire Rotol.   The only problem there is I don't like that on the Hurricane?

1 hour ago, SeaVenom said:

Interesting points.   So let me get this right.    I should paint the camouflage like the example you've provided from the Ducimus and not as in the Airfix guide plus add the stencils like depicted from the Ducimus and the Avieology?

As for the Spitfire Rotol.   The only problem there is I don't like that on the Hurricane?

if the Airfix instructions are different from Ducimus and Avieology,   I'd trust  them over Airfix.

You may need to 'mirror' the camo scheme, but the Ducimus based on Hawker factory diagram (see note on top right)

As for the Spitfire Rotol, well, then,  you want to build a standard BoB Hurricane, it will nearly always have the Spitfire Rotol,  so find a scheme you like with a different prop,  or build the Airfix kit as the warbird R4118.

The props in the Airfix kit  are Spitfire Rotol and the De Havilland Hurricane types,  though the DH Hurricane type looks too  long too me.

_48044337_fosterred.jpg

You may note the R4118 flys with what looks to be the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol, or similar, I don't think it's exactly the same.   If you use the kit DH  spinner/backplate you can fit the Rotol blades, reshape them a bit and it will 'pass'

(I've seen two build one here that have fitted the DH blades to the Rotol spinner :banghead: )

which is not in the kit.

The DH Hurricane unit was not  found on BoB Hurricanes of R**** and V**** batches, but some early P26** had them.

Some later Mk.I's have the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol as well.

Most L**** are fabric wings, as well as the early N****

Later N have the DH Hurricane unit, but lack the rectangular access panel on the starboard side,  have 5 spoke wheel and some  have different windscreens...  so the Airfix kit is not set up for those.

The kit does have  all the bits to do a Tropical Hurricane I and Sea Hurricane IB,   and the Italeri kits come with multiple options, so you could ask for spare decals?

It's  your model, so you can do what you wish.

HTH

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

if the Airfix instructions are different from Ducimus and Avieology,   I'd trust  them over Airfix.

You may need to 'mirror' the camo scheme, but the Ducimus based on Hawker factory diagram (see note on top right)

As for the Spitfire Rotol, well, then,  you want to build a standard BoB Hurricane, it will nearly always have the Spitfire Rotol,  so find a scheme you like with a different prop,  or build the Airfix kit as the warbird R4118.

The props in the Airfix kit  are Spitfire Rotol and the De Havilland Hurricane types,  though the DH Hurricane type looks too  long too me.

_48044337_fosterred.jpg

You may note the R4118 flys with what looks to be the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol, or similar, I don't think it's exactly the same.   If you use the kit DH  spinner/backplate you can fit the Rotol blades, reshape them a bit and it will 'pass'

(I've seen two build one here that have fitted the DH blades to the Rotol spinner :banghead: )

which is not in the kit.

The DH Hurricane unit was not  found on BoB Hurricanes of R**** and V**** batches, but some early P26** had them.

Some later Mk.I's have the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol as well.

Most L**** are fabric wings, as well as the early N****

Later N have the DH Hurricane unit, but lack the rectangular access panel on the starboard side,  have 5 spoke wheel and some  have different windscreens...  so the Airfix kit is not set up for those.

The kit does have  all the bits to do a Tropical Hurricane I and Sea Hurricane IB,   and the Italeri kits come with multiple options, so you could ask for spare decals?

It's  your model, so you can do what you wish.

HTH

Ok it was mentioned before in the other mirror thread but what about P2617?   (Please don't tell me it had fabric wings).

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

3 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Ok it was mentioned before in the other mirror thread but what about P2617?   (Please don't tell me it had fabric wings).

P2617,  the Hendon Hurricane,  was built with metal wings.

Displayed at Hendon in the earliest applicable markings for it's service history,   but I don't know that these have a photo to document them. 

full history is this pdf

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEwvDEhvfUAhULIcAKHXrhCZkQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rafmuseum.org.uk%2Fdocuments%2Fcollections%2F72-A-1404-Hurricane-1-P2617.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHRaFOjuHkacuse_6J9pQsbjLxYXA

bear in mind that at the end of the war P2617 looked like this

5425-edinburgh-1965.jpg

standard DFS as used in Training Command, and retrofitted with a 'bullet' Hurricane Rotol  and jointed tailwheel.

These features are still present on P2617 now.

A variety of pics of P2617 in various post war displays and markings  is here

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/P2617

Edited by Troy Smith
link

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

P2617,  the Hendon Hurricane,  was built with metal wings.

Displayed at Hendon in the earliest applicable markings for it's service history,   but I don't know that these have a photo to document them. 

full history is this pdf

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEwvDEhvfUAhULIcAKHXrhCZkQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rafmuseum.org.uk%2Fdocuments%2Fcollections%2F72-A-1404-Hurricane-1-P2617.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHRaFOjuHkacuse_6J9pQsbjLxYXA

bear in mind that at the end of the war P2617 looked like this

5425-edinburgh-1965.jpg

standard DFS as used in Training Command, and retrofitted with a 'bullet' Hurricane Rotol  and jointed tailwheel.

These features are still present on P2617 now.

A variety of pics of P2617 in various post war displays and markings  is here

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/P2617

Thank god about the metal wings.   Would the DFS (is that different to the DH?) be used up to this date in the link you provided (which is the first I can see where it's involved with training)...........

31 Jul 41 To No.9 Service Flying Training School, RAF Hullavington.

Also I've had a look without much success (apart from P3231) to find other early P's.   Is there any other early P's I could do that have metal wings and a DH prop?

Edited by SeaVenom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Thank god about the metal wings.   Would the DFS (is that different to the DH?) be used up to this date in the link you provided (which is the first I can see where it's involved with training)...........

31 Jul 41 To No.9 Service Flying Training School, RAF Hullavington.

Also I've had a look without much success (apart from P3231) to find other early P's.   Is there any other early P's I could do that have metal wings and a DH prop?

DFS = Day Fighter Scheme, standard fighter camo from August 1941.

again, read this

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

BoB era is TLS = Temperate Land Scheme.

I can find  you early  P****  w/DH from France, BoB is harder,  mostly as there are so few photos.

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

DFS = Day Fighter Scheme, standard fighter camo from August 1941.

again, read this

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

BoB era is TLS = Temperate Land Scheme.

I can find  you early  P****  w/DH from France, BoB is harder,  mostly as there are so few photos.

Ahh stupid me I forgot about Day Fighter Scheme and yes I'd be interested in any P**** w/DH from France you can find (I haven't had much luck there).   

I know we discussed this picture before and you said it wasn't BOB but even though it obviously has the different mast does it look like it has a DH and metal wings to you?    

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/images/online_exhibitions/Battle-1LG.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 04:33, SeaVenom said:

Ahh stupid me I forgot about Day Fighter Scheme and yes I'd be interested in any P**** w/DH from France you can find (I haven't had much luck there).   

I know we discussed this picture before and you said it wasn't BOB but even though it obviously has the different mast does it look like it has a DH and metal wings to you?    

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/images/online_exhibitions/Battle-1LG.jpg

photo link is most likely fabric winged.  (look closely)  and not much use for markings.

there are more shots from this session, of 111 Sq

3f90bfd4c41e101b0937dd42a3b45fe1--hawker

L2001, clearly fabric winged. The plane behind is metal, note position of landing lights.

OK, there are 3 early P**** in the pic below, all look to have the DH unit.

BoF

73 Squadron

the front two are early P, as is 'X' further back

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-RAF-73Sqn-in-format

in this scan, you can see the Hurricanes serials are listed (bottom right) and the the codes read TP-X of the starboard side

RAF-73Sqn-TPD-P2559-flown-by-Cobber-Kain

Here's P2647 'X',  taken post early May, when the yellow ring was added, and  the 'TP' added

Hard to tell if there is a fin flash, given the retained rudder stripes, maybe not

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-RAF-73Sqn-TPX-P2647

doing a plane from the first pic would be easier, as you only need a code letter.

I'll see if I can remember any more.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

Cheers for those Troy.   P2575 and P2569  look interesting.   So I take it they have Ducimus mirror camouflage and because that's 1940 they have metal wings?

These were probably all fabric wing airframes as deployed to France in 1940. 

1 hour ago, mhaselden said:

Could be but bearing in mind I'm not sure of the exact date.   It's hard to tell from the photo's but they don't look to have the distinctive ridges of the fabric wings to me and as Troy pointed out in the photo above the light seems to be in the same position as many metal winged examples I've seen.   Of course I could be totally wrong though.   

The formation photos were taken prior to early May 1940 because that's when the fin flash and yellow surround to the fuselage roundel were introduced (note the rudder markings on these 73 Sqn machines were worn by some RAF units in France for recognition purposes and were not official markings).  The ribs are really hard to see on most photos so I wouldn't use that as a frame of reference.  One potential indicator is the short "stick" antenna mast which was primarily seen on fabric-winged airframes (it's not an unique indicator, but it's a good general guide). 

Edited by mhaselden

9 hours ago, mhaselden said:

NO

LOTS of metal winged ended up in France,  the early squadrons deployed, 1 and 73,  and then 85 and 87,  took what they were equipped with, which tended to be earlier planes, (ie L**** series with fabric wings)  but replacements were new machines, N**** and the P****

The P ****n series planes in the formation photo are metal winged,  clearly visible on 'D' and an the wreck of 'X' as well.

I posted the above specifically for @Sea Venom  who wanted a specific combination. And the camo pattern is as ducimus, but the other scheme is just a mirror image (compare 'J' to 'Z' in photo) 

Unfortunately as with many things Hurricane,  the information is frequently vague, and relies on cross referencing information, ideally from photos. Most of the data comes from the work Francis Mason,  but what's need a comb through of productions records.  But until then it's from  disparate sources.  many older airframes were still about in May 1940 as there had not been any significant fighting.   What was fitted with fabric wings? K5083 (based on Mason AFAIK)  says 430 of the 600 of the L**** series, and the first 80 of the N****  series had fabric wings, but I don't know how much sense this makes.  

K5083 says

L**** Aircraft deliveries commenced on the 15th December, 1937, and were completed on 6th October, 1939

N**** Aircraft deliveries commenced on the 29th September, 1939 and were completed on the 1st May, 1940.

as for rewinging, often talked about, but I've seen very few examples,  there are photos of a 1 sq RCAF/401 Sq L**** series with metal wings and the serial is repainted to standard 8 inch, (implying a rebuild)  L****/N**** factory serials are 6 inch high. 

Mark, you were a LEMB member, if you look through the thread there on captured Hurricanes there are lots of wreck pics, and many are metal winged, a fair amount are full BoB standard, P**** series with Spitfire Rotol props.

this site

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/hurricane/hurricane-I.html

has a list of quotes, you will note the mentions to Rotol props being fitted are numerous in May 1940

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

these are early P**** series planes,  I posted these as the OP wanted a Hurricane with a De Havilland prop, not Spitfire Rotol, 

The Rotol Spitfire type spinner seems to have been introduced onto the Gloster built third batch of Hurricane in February/ March 1940.

Graham Boak in a thread on Luftwaffe Experten Message Board (LEMB) still up but no longer active, suggested they appear from the P27** serial range onwards.,

which would be P2535 - P2584 (50), P2614 - P2653 (40), P2672 - P2701 (30)

from http://www.k5083.mistral.co.uk/APS.HTM

note the K5083 site says

Up to airframe P2681 were completed with 2 blade Watts propeller, from airframeP2682 completed with 3 blade Rotol propellers.

which does not make sense, but it does if you replace '2 blade watts' with DH hurricane unit (which is what photos show)

The P25** and P26** have the De Havilland Hurricane unit fitted, which is what is shown in the formation  of 73 Squadron Hurricanes above, which are in the P25**/P26** range.  

Edited by Troy Smith
additions

4 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Mea culpa.  Guess I'll go sit in a corner and wear the dunce hat. :)

Not at all Mark

It's confusing,  bear in mind I've had a Hurricane thing since I was ...erm, 6,  and that was a long time ago, and I'm still learning.*    There are folks who know a lot more,  and have more info (Dave Wadman says he has 1.5 TB of Hurricane information)  but this is just not in the easily accessible  public domain.

I intend to do some archive digging,  but I do a lot of childcare,  so while I can pootle around online easily enough,  it's a lot harder to arrange a day at Hendon and then IWM.

I'd take my daughter, but I think it would bore her to tears, or cause an argument when I wasn't left in peace.    Now if I can get her properly interested then  might get a fellow researcher,  but I don't see that happening for a few years.... (she's 6 and is still learning to read..) 

* the interesting image above is TP-D nosed over,  with the painted out underwing serial and very odd roundel..  old wing used as a replacement?

Anyone have a clearer image?

one final point, in Hurricane at War 2,  there is piece by Don Shores (IIRC, book not too hand) taking about being in 79 Sq, and as the 'bog rat' (newbie) getting the oldest plane, fabric wing/watts prop,  but he mentiones thta once airborne he liked the fabric wing better,  said it was more manoeuvrable than the tin wing...

15 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

* the interesting image above is TP-D nosed over,  with the painted out underwing serial and very odd roundel..  old wing used as a replacement?

Anyone have a clearer image?

I was looking at that image of TP-D.  It certainly looks odd.  A couple of thoughts spring to mind.  Firstly, the wing itself should be white but it's clearly "grubby" to say the least.  The shade of the general wing, particularly around the wing tip, is very similar to the "white" of the underwing roundel.  Also of interest is the overpainting of the serial number which shows up much whiter than the wing itself. Finally, the port wing is clearly black and has a standard Type A roundel. 

I wonder if the starboard wing suffered from some superficial heat damage?  That might explain the odd light tone to the blue of the roundel, as well as the overall grubby appearance of the wing.  It's the only thing I can think of that might cause the roundel to look like it does. 

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

NO

LOTS of metal winged ended up in France,  the early squadrons deployed, 1 and 73,  and then 85 and 87,  took what they were equipped with, which tended to be earlier planes, (ie L**** series with fabric wings)  but replacements were new machines, N**** and the P****

The P ****n series planes in the formation photo are metal winged,  clearly visible on 'D' and an the wreck of 'X' as well.

I posted the above specifically for @Sea Venom  who wanted a specific combination. And the camo pattern is as ducimus, but the other scheme is just a mirror image (compare 'J' to 'Z' in photo) 

Unfortunately as with many things Hurricane,  the information is frequently vague, and relies on cross referencing information, ideally from photos. Most of the data comes from the work Francis Mason,  but what's need a comb through of productions records.  But until then it's from  disparate sources.  many older airframes were still about in May 1940 as there had not been any significant fighting.   What was fitted with fabric wings? K5083 (based on Mason AFAIK)  says 430 of the 600 of the L**** series, and the first 80 of the N****  series had fabric wings, but I don't know how much sense this makes.  

K5083 says

as for rewinging, often talked about, but I've seen very few examples,  there are photos of a 1 sq RCAF/401 Sq L**** series with metal wings and the serial is repainted to standard 8 inch, (implying a rebuild)  L****/N**** factory serials are 6 inch high. 

Mark, you were a LEMB member, if you look through the thread there on captured Hurricanes there are lots of wreck pics, and many are metal winged, a fair amount are full BoB standard, P**** series with Spitfire Rotol props.

this site

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/hurricane/hurricane-I.html

has a list of quotes, you will note the mentions to Rotol props being fitted are numerous in May 1940

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

these are early P**** series planes,  I posted these as the OP wanted a Hurricane with a De Havilland prop, not Spitfire Rotol, 

note the K5083 site says

which does not make sense, but it does if you replace '2 blade watts' with DH hurricane unit (which is what photos show)

The P25** and P26** have the De Havilland Hurricane unit fitted, which is what is shown in the formation  of 73 Squadron Hurricanes above, which are in the P25**/P26** range.  

More great info.   So it looks like I can finally make a fairly accurate WW2 Hurricane from the Airfix kit.   Obviously I'll have to get the different mast but at least those P's have the DH, the metal wings (and no mirror either) which is a bonus.   

I take it also Troy that the undersides are black and white?