1/48 & 172 - Percival Proctor Mk.I/II/III/V & Vega Gull by Dora Wings - 1/72 & 1/48 released - new boxing 1/48 Proctor I

Homebee

5 hours ago, John Aero said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the stubby prop spinner it's totally the wrong shape. The Fairey Reed prop ( which isn't shown on the renders) uses a pointed but smaller diameter spinner than the DH constant speed prop and the cowl front behind it has a corresponding smaller circular area behind the spinner.

Work on the hood has not yet been completed. There will be more details.
Two different front parts of the bonnet will be made-for Proctor and for Vega.

21 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Some very nice details. Personally, I would also like to see more refined trailing edges (assuming they are not a moulding-technology limitation...).

That may be no more than a product of the 3D renders. We should see the plastic soon enough, and will be better placed to judge them then.

• Like 1

You're the man John! If you're happy with the CADs, then I'll be buying even more! 

And a tip of the hat to Dora Wings. Certainly a manufacturer that I will be following closely. Top work everyone!

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Gorgeous, Eugen! Just gorgeous!

I agree!

I'm keen to do my Vega as one of the 17 or so operated by the RAF/Air Ministry, but I'm drawing a blank finding out much about them beyond serial blocks (L7272, P1749-54, P5988-5993). I've got a rubbish quality, very small shot of L7272 in silver with large A-type roundels - but do any other photos exist? I'm especially interested to know how many of them were delivered with, and flew in service with, the angled windscreen - as this is the look I'd like to capture, and I'm aware that the RAF rapidly changed this arrangement to the more Proctor-like rounded screen.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎-‎11‎-‎2017 at 23:42, John Aero said:

Some time ago I found that there are no drawings of any use for the early Proctors (1-III) and Vega Gull. there are three published drawings of the Proctor IV which Frog did, but in my opinion this Mk was the "Fat lady singing" in the wooden Percival story and from modelling purposes it's the most useless for any other model development. It has a totally different fuselage both in profile and construction.

Dear John,

I still have a Proctor Mk.IV from Novo/Frog. Do I have to get rid of it? Or is the Mk.IV external so different from the Mk.III that it can exist next to the new Mk.III?

Or simplifying my question: what is the external difference?

Thanks for your answer,

Hans 

Hello Hans

You can build the Frog Proctor IV as it is not a bad model of that Mk.

The Proctor IV was totally re-designed and was to have been called the Preceptor.  The cabin was moved forwards and enlarged in height and width and the depth increased The top fuselage longeron angled up from the firewall and not behind the cabin as in the Mk.s 1-III. The rear fuselage was deepened and slightly rounded on the bottom. The rudder was bigger and the tailplane was raised higher. The rear windows were lengthened. the Overall length increased from 26' 2" to 28' 2".

The wing span remained the same but the area was increased slightly and the wing was strengthened generally with new three position flaps fitted. The undercarriage was strengthened.

The Mk.V was a Mk. IV built for the Civil market The Proctor VI was a one off floatplane variant of the IV.

The RAF had around 250 Mk. IV so they were very common into the post-war years.

I hope that this helps.

John

Above information from various sources.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Aero said:

The floor behind the pilots seats on the main spar box, does not slope back down to the wireless operators seat. It is vertical from the top of the spar box to the floor.

Unfortunately, because of the technological features, the floor in the cockpit will not be able to do the same as you showed. This is on a scale of 1/72. :(
In 1/48, we can divide it into two parts and make it more correct.
I hope the modelers will forgive us for this inaccuracy.

Meanwhile, work on the interior is coming to an end.

Proctor Mk. I-III.

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.19_17h00m24s_001.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.19_17h00m49s_003.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.19_17h01m16s_004.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_17h09m37s_001.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_17h10m11s_002.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_17h10m36s_003.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_18h22m40s_004.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_18h23m02s_005.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_18h34m27s_006.j

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.20_18h34m45s_007.j

• Like 3

On 18/12/2017 at 6:24 PM, Graham Boak said:

There is - or was - a photo of one in Coastal White, in a modelling magazine many years back.  One of Bob Jones's specials from IPMS, perhaps?  Hopefully this will trigger fuller memories from someone else.

I have a copy of that somewhere, as I recall it had a dark upper fuselage with a wavy demarcation line.

16 hours ago, dora said:

Unfortunately, because of the technological features, the floor in the cockpit will not be able to do the same as you showed. This is on a scale of 1/72. :(
In 1/48, we can divide it into two parts and make it more correct.
I hope the modelers will forgive us for this inaccuracy.

In 1/72 fair enough, and it's only really niceable with a forward-facing rear seat, where there is consequently nowhere for the rear-seat passenger's feet to go.  In the other cabin configurations I would overlook it.

In any case it will be an easy fix for those of us who want to change it - let in two pieces of sheet and we're done.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2017 at 6:24 PM, Graham Boak said:

There is - or was - a photo of one in Coastal White, in a modelling magazine many years back.  One of Bob Jones's specials from IPMS, perhaps?  Hopefully this will trigger fuller memories from someone else.

Not sure of the publication - the page numbering/Issue doesn't match Airfix Magazine so it might be Air Pictorial.

25329066978_47fa1f20f4_k.jpgIMG_2922 by David Fleming, on Flickr