1/48 & 172 - Percival Proctor Mk.I/II/III/V & Vega Gull by Dora Wings - 1/72 & 1/48 released - new boxing 1/48 Proctor I

Homebee

Here's my explanation of the conundrum. When Percival's released the new four seat Vega Gull to the press in January 1936, the Gipsy Six engine was fitted with a Fairey Reed metal propeller instead of the proposed DH Hamilton type or the French Ratier controllable pitch propeller.  (I have been told that DH's were having problems with the spinner installation on their prop). So as measured the overall length was 25' 4" (9" longer than the Gull).  As a consequence some Veg's and the early Proctors were delivered with no spinners and these aircraft were measured at 25' 10" and this is the figure which has been published as the length of the Proctor in about all but the Repair manual. When the Spinner is fitted to the Vega the OA length becomes 26' 2". So where does the extra 2" come from.

It's the rudder mounted Navigation light. The normal light fit for the time was a light above the cabin and one below the centre section but the RAF required a tail navigation light and this  makes up the length to 26' 4".

The alternative prop fitted to such as Beryl Markhams "West with the Night" trans Atlantic Vega, was the Ratier VP prop (for which I have no reliable dimensions) and there are at least two variants fitted to Vegas.

So there you have some of the background research. If you use this info please credit me because you will find it nowhere else.

John

Oh then there are the tail wheel types... we'll leave it there for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

1/48 Proctor would suit me just fine. Then a Dominie/Rapide maybe?

I’d second a Dominie/ Rapide in 1:48, especially as I flew in one from Duxford on my 40th birthday. Someone has an Aeroclub version on evil bay for £249 - I think I can resist that....

Absolutely fantastic. I'll probably be up for two in 1/48, one of them a Vega to be done as the utterly gorgeous retro-restored Proctor I of Guy Clapshaw:

35553227641_c4d93ff7f0_c.jpg95718954-5EEC-483D-BC4B-C1A6F9A5E9D8_zpstgp81p5y by Zac Yates, on Flickr

34874409463_15b8ce5d5d_c.jpg80164CD6-509D-4541-A8A8-150A0673F5A2_zpsrdr0wxjn by Zac Yates, on Flickr

34874411043_74fa95fb3e_c.jpg2952803B-D15D-446C-9A74-CB8FCF292737_zpsrj2at0rp by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Oops how did that selfie get there?!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

What a waste those Protukas were! :(

I tend to agree with you there, but it's kind of a shame that one didn't get preserved as a bit of a curio. What was their fate? I assume they were scrapped.

• Like 1

At the moment there is a mix of Vega and Proctor characteristics on the render Early Proctors and all pre-war Vega's did not have the ram cooling intake. The wing folding flap leading edge should not have a wavy edge as this is the top of the rear spar and should show a straight line with no sag.

"E", I'll email you.

John

• Like 2

Great stuff, good to see John's comments taken on board so quickly and the CADs altered. I wish more manufacturers would do this! Very much looking forward to this one, and just imagining the Vega and the Valom Albatross on the shelf - my two favourite 1930s civil aircraft!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

On a different note - lots of people were excited with the Wapiti announcement,

is work still ongoing with that project??

Wapiti will definitely be done a little later. We are waiting for John to finish his beautiful drawings. :)

I'm a bit puzzled by the stubby prop spinner it's totally the wrong shape. The Fairey Reed prop ( which isn't shown on the renders) uses a pointed but smaller diameter spinner than the DH constant speed prop and the cowl front behind it has a corresponding smaller circular area behind the spinner. Both cowls and spinners are shown on my drawings Page 3 on L7272.

John

Reed spinner

For general information, the Westland drawings are nearing completion, I was working on them again today. The Wapiti has been the hardest to sort out, the Wallace less so. I've done all these projects by starting, not on the external shape, but by building it up on the frames, structures and spars and I worked by reverse engineering the Wallace to the Wapiti from what drawings and surviving structures I could access and a heartfelt thank you to some very helpful people.

Sometimes a thorny problem like the aileron structural details were solved by looking in a stillage bin full of rusted junk and suddenly seeing a spar and aileron brackets staring you in the face, serendipity.

Have patience.

John

• Like 2