Revell 1/72 F-101B Voodoo questions....

The first steps in the Revell 1/72 F-101B show something I can't make sense of; might make more sense if I knew the Voodoo better. Or at all.

As near as I can tell, it calls for the nosegear doors to be cut/scored and bent, but doesnt' say at what angle, or if it's only an option for gear up or something else entirely. I've tried dry fitting the things and as far as I can tell if I leave it alone the doors will be open and okay if I leave them as they are. I've tried looking at online builds (very few) and at photos of the real thing and can't make any sense of it yet.

What am I missing?

Ok andrew i've looked at a pdf copy of the instructions. I believe the cuts/scoring is for closing the doors up to pose it in flight. If you look at the later stages of the instruction sheet, There is an option shown to do this. Hope that helps. 

Dennis

Looking at Detail & Scale Volumes 2 and 21 for the F-101 photographs and drawings show the nosegear doors to have a roughly triangular cross-section inner face detail and when the the doors are open the they are canted out at an angle which has the inner face detail hanging down vertically from the fuselage forming a right angle when seen from the front.

If the kit parts have this inner face detail hopefully this information might help but if not pm with an e-mail address and I will scan the relevant material.

On 05/07/2017 at 3:03 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok andrew i've looked at a pdf copy of the instructions. I believe the cuts/scoring is for closing the doors up to pose it in flight. If you look at the later stages of the instruction sheet, There is an option shown to do this. Hope that helps. 

Dennis

I'm part-way through building one of these, and that's how I interpreted the instructions and it seemed to work OK:a5d0f4e1-0192-4aec-83e8-e7002bad371d.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...