Hampden, which most reliable plans? Huntley? Caruana? Crossley?

Troy Smith

I was asked by another member

Warpaint plan from Ian Huntley.

But now, he received another plan from Richard Caruana, and there are some differences on the lower fuselage and the boom.

What is your opinion ? wich of these plans are the more reliable ?

my response, 

I honestly don't know, I would think the Huntley drawings predate the Caruana ones.

From what I have seen, and general reputation,  I'm wary of Caruana work without checking it, 

OK, as I type a thought occurs, there has been much debate as to if the Hampden torpedo bomber variant has a lower fuselage.

It's a long thread,  but should explain more, and has links to more photos, 

I then did some searches to see if I could find some information,  I note that there is mention of plans by 

Scale Models International September 1986 p435-439. 1/72 plans drawn by Peter Cooksley.

Are there any more, are the recent based on or used for the Hampden restoration?

thanks

T

Edited by Troy Smith
additions

I have that Scale Models. The article has been scanned, and I'm happy to share - pm me your email and it will be on its way. Because of its size I'll be sending via Dropbox.

The drawings are quite nice: typical Cooksley, clear and crisp. I can't comment as to accuracy - don't know enough about the subject, or the number of times the original drawing was copied or otherwise reproduced before it came into my hands (and that process can generate some quite remarkable distortions, as we know ...).

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

An interesting aside to this thread is HP 53 L7271. Page 361 0f the Putnam book clearly shows a lot flatter bottom to this airframe in relation to Hampdens/Herefords. To be quite frank it also looks wider than the other aircraft. 

L7271 was originally mooted as a prototype for the Swedish who required a torpedo bomber so investigation here might bear fruit. :-)

The torpedo bomber did not have a lower fuselage, but a reduced depth to the gunner's position to allow the Monoplane Air Tail of the torpedo to fit.  The torpedo was carried semi-externally, with the inner bomb bay doors resting on the sides of the weapon but closing normally after the drop.

Photos show L7271 to be just another Hampden, without any massively-redesigned fuselage (as implied by a wider fuselage).

• Like 1