Guide to Airbrushing US Modern Aircraft

Lish

Hi All,

Tried searching the forum but no luck. I am looking for good techniques tutorials for airbrushing Modern US Aircraft such as the F-8 Crusader, F15's and F16's etc. What I would like to know if the what colour primer, pre-shading and post shading etc. I have seen some amazing paint work out on the net. 

Any recommended magazine, books, DVD's. I don't mind spending a bit, just don't want to mess up the kits I have just invested in. Appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, Lish said:

Hi All,

Tried searching the forum but no luck. I am looking for good techniques tutorials for airbrushing Modern US Aircraft such as the F-8 Crusader, F15's and F16's etc. What I would like to know if the what colour primer, pre-shading and post shading etc. I have seen some amazing paint work out on the net. 

Any recommended magazine, books, DVD's. I don't mind spending a bit, just don't want to mess up the kits I have just invested in. Appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

The best thing is to try different techniques but for me personally i have found the best technique for Modern US aircraft is to start by laying down a black primer and going over it in random patterns with the base colour lightened (black basing). Then go over that with a mist coat of the base colour and then do some post shading by looking at reference photos.

I have nearly finished doing an f/a-18e and I'm really happy with the results:

iY3pVdE.jpg

qspj2B6.jpg

Once the painting is done oils and powders are used to enhance the weathered look.

Edited by lordstrpe
  • Like 3

The problem your having is  "Guide to Airbrushing US Modern Aircraft."

Airbrushing is the same whatever the aircraft nationality just the colours are different.

Check out Airbrush tutorials on U tube as a good start.

Selwyn