Potez 29 - scratch conversion from Broplan's XXV with two others '25 by Hit-Kit in background

Hi,

After a break (some duty trips, finish of B 29 etc) I returned today to Potez 29. The day started from a disaster, When I was drilling holes for air intakes the drill blocked in a hole, driller start to rotate whole model and as result model felt  down to floor and wing wos broken:

potez 25 DSC06885potez 29 DSC06884

I went to garden to do some work there...

But then I returned and repaired it. I tried another way to do air ventilation pannels - from alu foil. It looks not bad, much better than my previoys attempt so I sanded down and tomorrow I will work on it, I hope.

From decal I made doors - it should be visible when painted. I added air intake with tropical filter on right side of engine, ventilation devices on top of fuselage and skid. For the end of day it looks like that:

potez 29 DSC06887potez 29 DSC06888potez 29 DSC06889potez 29 DSC06890potez 29 DSC06886

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

I have changed the ventilation panels on engine to one made out of the alu foil. I used a round of CD box to corrugate alu foil:

pot 29  DSC06891

Then I cut it to desired size and glue using CA glue, 

I started to paint also:

pot29 DSC06915

Above you can see some of ventilation panels.

pot 29 DSC06914

To be continue 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today I  added wheels

pot 29 DSC06919

pot 29 DSC06920

Tomorrow I will try to finish painting. Lamps, aerial, step, some elements on u/c  and Venturi tube are to be added and I will go for decals :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 5

In a French booklet on Free French Airforces in Tchad I have found two photos which I consider a support for interpretation how markings on wings should looks like.

First - there are three colour bands around both wings. 

WP_000463

Right below head of camel one can see such set of strips together with Lorraine cross (in non-simplified form) on fuselage. Unfortunately there is no clear photo which show if on wings is French roundel, French roundel+Lorraine cross or just Lorrain cross. 

However there is a photo of another liason machine (Howard) on which one can see just Lorrain cross from bottom of wing (rather no strips though...). Note on this page also photo of crashed landing Oxford ambulance with Lorraine crosses.

WP_000471

So I decided to make strips around wings and only Lorrain crosses on six positions

Any expert opinion to correct me?

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

I have changed my mind - photos today :)

First some more photos of real thing - this time from net (Public domain). 

This photo is described "Potez 29, Tchad 1940

Potez-29-Detachement-tchad 40

She has strips on wings but no latarrine crosses

On photo below there are Lotarrine crosses on fuselage (nothing is sure about wings) but strips are there as well

Potez-29-N°99-Groupe-Bretagne-Durant

This is said to be Potez 29.2 No 22

Note Wellesley in background

And here it is not sure with strips

Potez-29-Du-Detachement-Permanent-Des

Lorraind crosses I have in my drawer from MPM Blenheims but they are late style (just striaigh bars) and red. I have also from Hit-Kit Potez 25, they are blue  and with decorations at ends, however they have large bar very low, not in the middle as on photos above. 

pot 29DSC06922

So I decided to cut each cross into five pieces (top, bottom and three parts in middle)  and flick upside down the main bar.

I applied it but some white corrections will be done after softering. The same with trimming strips

pot 29 DSC06924pot 29 DSC06923

To be cont.

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 4

Today i fought with too hard (thick) decals (wing strips - by Azur). Then with trying to hide traces of Lorraine crosses surgery. It went not very bad I hope. Then I made overall coat of Valejo matt acryl varnish and time for removing masking from windows. They needed a gloss diluted varnish to bring back transparency:

pot 29 DSC06929pot 29 DSC06928

I have to add some details and do some weathering... Perhaps the next photos on RFI :) - hope soon!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 5

Many thanks Beard :) 

Currently I started Blackburn Ripon and Hoover MF 11, both Broplan vaccus. The thread is in floatplane and flying boats GB. Welcome to see.

Cheers

J-W

I think it is finished. Niw is evening so some photos by the lamp, tomorrow I will post on RFI daylight ones:

pot 29 DSC06935

pot 29 DSC06934

Thank you for watching this buikds, I appreciete all comments and likes

Cheers

Jerzy Wojtek

• Like 3

Thank you Jason. Since some years I am thinking on another Potez converion - this time Potez 650 from Heller/Smer 540.

I am intending to do her in this scheme:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania potez 65

Perhaps in winter i'll do it :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hello Jerzy,

Very nice job on these little beast !

Congratulations !

The subjects you use to choose are always special and attractive.

We read the same review seemingly :coolio:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

I just caught up J-W. The results are superb :worthy: !

The Potez 29 is very nice indeed.

Well done and thanks for sharing 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Corsaircorp and Tony - many thanks ! I appreciete your kind comments :).

It is early a bit cloudy morning now in Krakow - I hope to have enough light within half an hour to make photos for RFI. Otherwise I will do this in late aftrnoon.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek