Summer 1940 somewhere in N France

A fit of over-enthusiasm a couple of years ago suggested it'd be a good idea to put together a diorama depicting a typical Jagdwaffe camouflaged revetment somewhere in the Calais area of N France as a base for one of my 1:48 scale Bf 109s. How difficult could it be? Now, I have some idea of the skill and patience some of you more seasoned diorama buffs have put into the evocative creations I've seen on these pages and on other sites, and I envy the results you've achieved. Anyway, here's the end result of my pedestrian labours.

I started with an idea stimulated by a series of pics from John Vasco's "Bombsights over England" book, using the interesting wooden framework that enclosed the sheltered and camouflaged working area for the Bf 109 Jabos that formed the 3rd Staffel of the innovative fighter-bomber group, Erprobungsgruppe 210. This relatively small unit probably caused a disproportionate amount of disruption to the air defence of Britain, more often than not being ignored by RAF Group controllers who concentrated their attention on incoming formations of slower medium bombers. Using Bf 110s and Bf 109s as fighter-bombers, often approaching the British coast at low level which sometimes avoided radar contact, the a/c of this group were often mistaken because of their speed simply for another goup of fighters, seen as less dangerous than the Dorniers, Heinkels and Junkers that made up the Luftwaffe's bomber force.

34874149634_b84cc018fa_b.jpg

Size became a bit of a constraint since the wingspan of the Bf 109 was the principal factor, around which all the other elements had to fit. My first idea was a Bf 109 E-4/B undergoing its pre-op preparation with a group of blackmen busy under the ETC rack with a 250 kg bomb on the trolley that was used to load these, perhaps with a flak emplacement on the open ground outside the pen. However, once I worked out the size involved with odd trees spotted around and the camo netting suitably concealing the sandbagged revetment, it was assuming proportions that I knew would be difficult to store or display. So the idea moved to what was arguably a similar scenario for one of the many fighter units located between Calais and Boulogne during the August/September 1940 period of the BoB.

35716274125_cd922a7d76.jpg   35328251620_a15028a5b4.jpg

The enclosure itself is made up of panels of T&G roofing, suitably weather faded and stained, with the framework supporting the camo netting made from 3mm square wooden strip painted the same shades. At the rear of the revetment, I decided a sheltered work area made of similar material would be logical, with a work bench, tool rack, duck boards and a sloping ply roof. I experimented with various styles of camo netting with little success but eventually opted for some FoG material that looked about the right scale, even though it wasn't available in a single sheet that would fit the framework. Two sheets and some clumsy needlework later, I had something that, with suitable trimming, gave me the right size, as well as some extra bits that would do to cover the entrance when RAF a/c came snooping. I chose brown netting but sprayed it dark green with oblique schwarzgrun paint stripes to simulate the cloth strips that I think were used on the real thing to break up the outline of the whole struucture.

35546632922_88c6910107.jpg  35675781396_29c2d65c8c.jpg

I really struggled with the trees that disguised how these revetments were positioned in the wooded borders of the farmland in N France. I baked some sections of dead rock rose branches from the garden as the basis for the tree trunks and branches and attached various shades of sea moss and leaf scatter with very disappointing results. So much so that I shelved the whole project for months, eventually buying a couple of ready-made trees that just looked much too uniform. I've used both my sad home-made bits and the others in the diorama and fortunately they don't look too bad in the pics but I know they're not great.

35675782896_c951baa7fc.jpg  35675784026_0fd7d48410.jpg

Various Tamiya gasoline drums, jerry cans, a hand pump and fire extinguisher created the busy nature of the right side (viewed from the front) of the pen, with the left side decorated with FoG ammo crates and folded tarpaulins, with the odd coil of "rope" to attach the tarpaulins over the bright yellow cowling of what was my first Tamiya 1:48 scale version of W Nr 1190, White 4, from the 4th Staffel of JG 26. I've forgotten (the years pass) the source of the 3 figures, but they're metal ones on long mounting pegs that I recall I may have picked up from Hannants . Not really happy with the painting of these but I usually make my models without attendant crew. My old art teacher would probably cringe with a comment - interesting base for improvement!

• Like 13

Great work,  what does "FoG" stand for ?

Re Epr 210, there is a very interesting case made for their efficacy in Steven Bungay's "the Most Dangerous Enemy"  especially using the Bf110 as a fighter bomber.

Regarding trees, and making of @Badder has some very interesting diorama therad with all sorts of methods tried out, though in this case I'd suggest you can't see the trees for the wood :rolleyes: 

There have been some interesting discussions on White 4 as well.

cheers

T

Just now, Troy Smith said:

Regarding trees, and making of @Badder has some very interesting diorama therad with all sorts of methods tried out, though in this case I'd suggest you can't see the trees for the wood :rolleyes: 

Thanks for the reference Troy,

Just to let everyone know that my WIPs are currently without photos thanks to Photobucket, but rest assured they will be replaced over the next few days.

Rearguards,

Badder

Great diorama Paul,

A well thought out scene. The 109 is spot on with perfect colouring. I love that yellow. Great figures, good groundwork. 

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Cheers guys - FoG's short for Fields of Glory, an interesting website more for 1:35 scale rather than 1:48, but I think that's where the ammo crates and tarps came from.

I enjoyed reading Steven Bungay's "Most Dangerous Enemy" which provided much-needed chronology and theories, as well as helping me structure my own books on the BoB.

I've contributed to the "White 4" discussions and expressed my own theories about its colour scheme, the model in the diorama being the first of 3 I've made of that particular a/c. The other 2 are 1:24 and 1:32 scale models, both described in posts on this site and both with what I'm pleased to say a litlle more flair than my first effort. I've developed an interest in this particular a/c, partly because it came down about 1,000 yards from my present house and partly because the remains are up at Duxford.

Paul

• Like 1

Yikes - another great diorama with loads going on and plenty to make your mind think about - plenty of assumptious stories can be imagined from modelled dioramas - making this part of the forum one of my most favourite places.