Belkits 2016 Volkswagen Polo WRC review

shood23

Let me start off by saying this is the first time I have reviewed a kit and that I wouldn't normally do a review but when I received this 2016 vw polo wrc kit today I was so stunned at it I felt It needed to be put into words. 

Right so let's dive straight into this. Today I received my package from Steve at hiroboy.com and inside along with many other things was a Belkits Volkswagen Polo WRC 2016. Now I've never made a Belkits model before but I have heard good things and on first viewing it seems like they are keeping up the hype around them. 

The box which features some nice artwork from the Monte Carlo rally. It is also made from nice shiney cardboard top and bottom. 

20170704_134841

On opening the box you will see that it is relatively tightly packed but I wouldn't have any worries of bits being broken as the structure of the box seems stury enough to withstand some torture. 

20170704_134859

Now those of you with a keen eye will have noticed this box within the packaging. 

20170704_134914

Yep you've guessed it, it's for the main body shell. It's nice to see a manufacturer go to this length to ensure that the most crucial part doesn't get any damage. Also the box is like the shells own little garage. 

20170704_134926

Digging a little further into the main box is lots of sprues filled with parts, 8-9 total, and also Belkits include at no extra cost (unlike many others) extra detail parts like etch and belt material and some little bits of metal. 

20170704_135619

At the very bottom of the box are the decals and instruction manual. The decals look very very crisp and include numbers and names for all 3 drivers, most will build as Seb Ogiers car as he won the championship but it's nice to know that other options are available. 

20170704_135128

The instruction sheet is ok, not as razzy as the new revell ones but they do helpfully include on the front page a paint chart with includes the best match colours for the blue needed to paint the front portion. 

20170704_135539

Looking through the instructions I was happily surprised to see that the belt material included in the kit is not only used for seat belts but also as the spare wheel anchor which is a nice touch or realism added. 

20170704_135239

Also I found out what all the little metal parts in the baggy are used for. Antenna wires which like above is nice to have a more solid part to use for these as if your anything like me you have snapped you fair share of antenna parts that were plastic. 

20170704_135407

Also as in most belkits rally cars they include a full night stage headlight set. Which also uses some of the little metal parts in the bag.  

20170704_135410

And finally the coloured decal placement page at the back. Which mine as you can see will be painted with the paint set from hiroboy. 

20170704_135516

Overall I think this kit will be an instant hit like many of the others and I would highly recommend buying one before the supplies dry up. 

Shaun 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought one of the first ones and bought the Red Bull decals afterwards. Well Windy37 it's in Autosport today that Malcolm Wilson owner of  M-Sport has a sponsorship shortage and may not be able to afford to re-sign Seb for 2018 as he only signed him for one year, 2017! I also seems that Malcolm Wilson has contacted Ford to try and make it a factory team to raise the money needed to keep Seb.