Caledonian Whispering Giant!!

Paul J

Pics up as soon as poss (due to PB saga) of my build for this theme. Basically the Roden Britannia from the 26 Decal packaging with Caledonian decals.

• Like 1

Here are those pics from start to current stage.   

IMG_1982_zps5t3sb43q.jpg

Parts and the '26 Decals ' logo on the instruction sheet for the kit. Plus the decals.

IMG_1983_zps5fiq8rr9.jpg

Some fat lugs that were easy to shave off...

IMG_1985_zpsmavh38yf.jpg

IMG_1984_zpstaszexyq.jpg

Lots of flash on a lot of the smaller parts...

IMG_1992_zpsamzs58lc.jpg

IMG_1993_zpsuw2mbynh.jpg

IMG_1986_zpsab4uznzy.jpg

IMG_1989_zpskwldwyuw.jpg

IMG_1994_zpsigtajfru.jpg

A very early form of winglets on an airliner I think!

IMG_2003_zps84ftrpqb.jpg

IMG_2004_zpsk5labbhu.jpg

Fuselage painted up with the white upper decking..

IMG_2005_zps1e5sr9c2.jpg

IMG_2006_zpskalsmhli.jpg

IMG_2007_zpsihcm7cib.jpg

I masked all the cabin windows with Maskol then removed when thoroughly dry. Quite pleased with the result. Any errors will hopefully be covered with the decal.  The windscreen I can deal with white stripe decals cut to size when time is right,

A small update. I fitted the wings on this evening and found the fit to be very very good!!! Infact a bit better than the Super Vc !0.  So too do the tail planes fit snugly.  Also It was a good time to test the nose balance as I put in some lead strips andheld in with blu tak Thankfully it is nice and nose heavy. As long as the under cart legs stand the weight.  Cheers for now.

• Like 2

Just having some wild thoughts.... How much work would it need to make one of these kits in to a Canadair Yukon I wonder???? Maybe Roden have one on the cards... and an Argus....

Some more progress report pics:

IMG_2010_zpsw3ikr4sf.jpg

Wings on and paint progressing...

IMG_2011_zpszcxwoity.jpg

IMG_2012_zpskrdenfol.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsjk2lhsab.jpg

Once satisfied with the paint job, I turned to fitting the main and nose undercarriage.  I found that the base part that fits in to the bay opening was a  bit too wide. The side edges needed pairing down a bit. See the blue ink to the areas that need the filing down to illustrate what I mean.

IMG_2016_zpsqtajjgsn.jpg

Only a very small amount needed and they fit fine!

IMG_2015_zpspd0nfzyc.jpg

IMG_2017_zpsherczkvo.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsbkjktwsi.jpg

Some paint pots that were used 

IMG_2018_zps2zamilg2.jpg

IMG_2019_zps9ibjx70b.jpg

IMG_2021_zpsqezodvus.jpg

Readying for decal applications...

IMG_2022_zpse0e76twe.jpg

IMG_2023_zpsmzhrrpkr.jpg

Looking smart don't you think?  My favourite airline scheme of all!

More to come with props to be done and any other bits and pieces...

• Like 2

More decalling done last night but no new pics as yet.  Nothing done much this evening. Just added the bottom white pin stripe along the bottom of the "goldie looking ochre" part of the cheat line as its not there on the decal sheet. Mainly because its laser printed and on clear and white not easy to do on this type of decal. However, the 26 Decals fit the kit beautifully.

Latest pics. Almost finished now but still need to work on the props.... tonights job!

IMG_2003%202_zpspn5zehqb.jpg

Windshield framing in progress and other decal still drying out. Note that the upper portions of the decal don't really match up well.A shame as the bulk and est of the cheatline fits the kit beautifully.... even the window openings match the kit.  The wonky strip on the screen near to the left has since been corrected by the way

IMG_2004%202_zps3nqt0hxp.jpg

IMG_2005%202_zpsieg9mkf1.jpg

The lowest white pin stripe is completely lacking on the decal sheet due to the decal printed on clear and not easy to include white. Those of you who do your own decals may know what I mean. Any way I added the bottom stripe from my stripe decal stock and coaxed a measured length to go in to a curve and wrap around to the underside of the nose. The gap in the blue will need to be painted in. Unfortunately 26 decals don't include any spare swatches. The upper white thin stripe in the cheat line is paint from when I applied the top side finish and worked out how far down the side I needed to go to incorporate the mustard colour and ensure it gave a base for the near see through decal colour to give it some 'meat' if you get what I mean.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Final pics and then completed pics in Gallery.

IMG_2012_zpsxcbmcm2q.jpg

Props all painted up ready for fitting. The strange pitots are added as oo the 'towel rail antenna.'

IMG_2011_zpscrqgjlyi.jpg

the left over decals.  The 26 Decals fitted the kit so well that all the window openings on the decal fitted the kit spot on and so no need to use the supplied decals by 26.

The only down side I find with them are, for laser print, they are a bit thin and the base colour shows through so painting has to be done accurately to give a good base to the decals. In general though, they are rather nice.

Pics of finished build over in gallery.

• Like 1