Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Cheers chaps :D 

its going to take a while to plumb in the hub the hub and all the bits and pieces, it was one area that I wasn't going to go to far with but I do think that it adds to the hub assembly.  It's going to drive me crackers I fear as getting the small brass wire to stick with CA glue is a real pain and a bit hit and miss. As not to overload myself I've done more to the main fuselage exterior and I've also painted the pilots and co pilots seats, photos later.  

I think I'll leave the pitch links for the moment they were a bit of a mare to get in place as I used some plastic stock which isn't polystyrene, I had a few problems getting it to stick, it's now really stuck fast with thick CA glue and other adhesives 

:(

Thank you all for the comments and likes :thumbsup2:

Dan 

• Like 1

So a quick check of the crew and seating in the front office , seats painted up 

and I see I have a bit more work in getting the guys sitting right, I'll add the belts from the seats 

with lead foil once its all painted and glued up, I need to get the controls fitted correctly into the pilots hands.

Now would the whole cockpit be painted black for this cab?  I know they went through the NVG upgrade 

so I reckon the floor and rear bulkhead would also be black? 

P1040806_zps1vfjk3gt.jpg

P1040807_zps7qixvjaf.jpg

P1040809_zpspezljhy7.jpg

P1040810_zpsugn4d8rd.jpg

More later 

Dan 

• Like 10

Adding more detail, the sea tray outside parts done with Green Stuff,

Added the seat cushions for the radar ops position as no crew figure will be used on this seat.

P1040812_zpsp6awfa5t.jpg

P1040813_zpsiur8y4uk.jpg

P1040811_zpss2zyxwfj.jpg

enjoy 

Dan

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Now would the whole cockpit be painted black for this cab?  I know they went through the NVG upgrade 

so I reckon the floor and rear bulkhead would also be black? 

Pretty much everything ahead of the Broom Cupboard was black on an NVG cab - which, conveniently, is where your moulded detail extends to.  The rear of the Broom Cupboard might well have been grey.

Left hand seat & floor:

36165423480_b1a4bb340a_b.jpg

Looking up & back, including Broom Cupboard:

36515947426_631ca2442f_b.jpg

Hope that helps.

Crisp

• Like 2

Cheers Crisp, that's a real great help, I now know what to paint and not paint black, cracking photo's btw :D 

Adding the small missing details to the sponsons, not sure what they are but I've used .3 lead wire, slightly overscale

but with some paint should look okay. Some foil used as the brackets, these seem to be fitted to all the RN cabs.

P1040814_zpsk5wgvazr.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 4

Started on the Radar kit, added the mushroom anti vibration mounts 

and the start of the trestle table that it sits on. Just the table now to build and finish off the operators seat

and it should be ready for paint. 

P1040820_zpsiv9w4skn.jpg

P1040815_zpsi4rszpa9.jpg

P1040818_zps35z6lgvm.jpg

P1040822_zpsr615jznd.jpg

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 6

That's a very good piece of moulding on ?Revell's part; it represents the Observer's station of a Sea King sufficiently clearly that even a front-seater can identify it.  Even the Master Compass is clearly visible.

How are you planning to colour the radar screen?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That's a very good piece of moulding on ?Revell's part; it represents the Observer's station of a Sea King sufficiently clearly that even a front-seater can identify it.  Even the Master Compass is clearly visible.

How are you planning to colour the radar screen?

And  my next question is " what colour would the screen be ?" 

:D

Hi,

I'm glad things have improved a little and you're doing a fantstic job on this model!

Those guys are really lively and all the additions you're doing are improving a lot the models quality!

I'll keep an eye on thes topic!!!:yes:

• Like 1

A bit more test fitting and details added. Crisp, that photo is brilliant fella, really shows off the area well.

Just got to decide on how far to take it :huh:

P1040823_zpsaqouztjn.jpg

P1040824_zpsbkmofs9c.jpg

P1040825_zpsabuhkjup.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 7

A bit more work on the Radar Ops seat, added the seat rails , seat belt fittings and primed, paint next and then add some PE belts,

Started on the smoke float racking, not strictly accurate as the rack should be slightly angled up 

but it will do for me.

P1040829_zpsgssozvc8.jpg

P1040828_zpsctywcp36.jpg

P1040827_zpsio7z0qgz.jpg

P1040830_zpszsruseex.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 7

Thank  you chaps :yes:

Decided to redo the pilots and co pilots seat, the figures didn't really look right 

so I added thicker cushions and then pushed the figures into place. I'll wait for the putty to dry 

and repaint. I also started painting up the life raft that will go inside the main crew door.

Work is still on going on the Radar consul at the moment and I should get the trestle table done today.

P1040836_zpsvl9wu8by.jpg

P1040837_zpsngsckzk0.jpg

P1040838_zpswhlnhpix.jpg

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 6

Just been mucking about with the winch,  needs some rivets adding to the housing yet 

but I've added the spring thing to the hook assembly and reshaped the hook to look better,

added the locking bar to it as well so the crewman doesn't fall off the ook ! 

On the fuselage side next to the mounting I've added the connectors for the plumbing and 

the hole for the missing support bar to the winch.

P1040839_zpsqcjv1wju.jpg

P1040843_zps8wek53b4.jpg

P1040844_zpsz5dotay8.jpg

P1040841_zpsaq3rzcjt.jpg

P1040842_zpsy5in5mto.jpg

Not much progress as I've had other things going on but a step closer 

to bringing up the kit to my standards.

Dan 

• Like 6