Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Thank you very much chaps for the likes and the comments, I’m really chuffed with them :D 

I’m hoping to get the fuse closed up this week and start on the exterior detailing soon so stay tuned :D

Regards

Dan 

I love that interior! The colours make it look like one of those "Look and Learn" cutaways. Real shame to close it up. Your weathering on the well-used grey cabinets takes me right back to all the storage units I used to work next to in Portland some 30 years ago!

I'm really admiring your Green Stuff work too. The talcum powder trick is filed away.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Cheers Adrian, 

I know that almost all of it will be tucked away and not to visible to the casual observer, but I look at this a practice, not sure yet what for 

but its honing my skills for some thing. I do like to push myself and its all good practice, it might not be 100% accurate but I like 

to think that some one will have a look and think that it's a damn good job :D

So I've worked on the spotlight on the underside of the front end, I used a MV lens, rescribed the housings and added used Micro Kistal Klear 

to glue in in to place, I might need to amend and rework the two spots in front of this one now.

P1040993

So,  the interior received the Velcro strip that's behind the seat, just a simple task of masking up and spraying 

P1040994

I've also decided  to do a late HU5 , I need a FLIR and down link antenna. 

P1040995

P1040996

Apologies for the crap pics, its late , dark and I've had a few glasses of some fine red vine :o

I could not find any pictures of this set on the internet at all, so here are my fine pictures for all to see, Whirlybirds should really do some serious marketing 

of their products. its letting them down in my opinion. Let the people know what they are getting and the sky is the limit. ( 2 months searching and researching for this small item )

I had to buy it to see what you get as I could not find one single picture of this set, hopefully it should help others on their quest  . ( it’s not expensive  and saves an hour or so scratching it ) 

P1040997

P1040998

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

Cheers Chaps :D

Just been sorting out the decals for this build, I got these little beauties, a great set and a must 

for anyone doing a 771 NAS Cab, to me they look perfect so I thought I must share a few photos.

P1050007

P1050005

P1050008

P1050009

P1050010

P1050011

P1050012

looking forward to using these :D

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 6

Looking good, one reservation re the Model Art decals which are superb normally. The black outline to the white codes should only 1/4 inch (very faint), however they look a tad too thick. Just my personal opinion having worked in the Sprey Shop, where I hand masked such lettering/codes. I'll reserve judgement once you have applied them.

Well done to Len Newman for his input on this sheet.

Colin

• Like 2

Thank you chaps;)

Moving on to the front end and the underside of the nose, decided to bin off the Airfix 

clear light bit that they provide and used some MV lens. Glued in with Micro Kristal Klear which 

is still a bit foggy at the  mo as it's not yet fully dried.

P1050016

P1050015

P1050014

I've also added the sea anchor shackle with some fine brass wire.

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

Cheers Mike :D

The Krystal Klear has started to dry do the lights are looking much better.

P1050021

I've started working on the crew, getting them in their new office and looking right.

P1050019

The Pilot had to have the collective added to his hand as the kit part didn't look right. A new one fashioned from plastic rod and painted up.

P1050020

P1050017

Sorry for the pictures, its getting dark and the workshop lights are really rubbish.

Dan 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

A question Ex-FAAWAFU might be best placed to answer - how easy is it to fly a helicopter when you can't reach the pedals?

Distinct area of daylight between them and the crew's boots in that last picture! lol

Oh Andy, you are a one :D

(I'm putting it down to that Cornish air you are now breathing)

Quite clearly P1 in the right hand seat is flying and P2 is reading a copy of the News of the World, he's not even got his hands on the controls mate :hmmm:

P1050023

P1050024

PS ....Both crew are now glued in 

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 5

As I'm adding the FLIR unit, I decided to add a bit more detail, the Whirlybird unit is a bit basic 

in detail, The support bracket is very simple and lacks a lot of the detail found on the real item.

So I scratch built a new one, it looks a bit more like the real deal.

The lens were added to the FLIR unit using some plastic card and then fared in using magic sculpt, the Whirly bird item is the grey resin bit to the right.

P1050032

P1050029

P1050027

P1050028

P1050031

P1050025

The flood light and bracket has been removed from the side of the sea king in preparation to fit this,

and I'll modify the downlink antenna as this is also a bit basic. 

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 4

On 11/29/2017 at 4:42 PM, andyf117 said:

A question Ex-FAAWAFU might be best placed to answer - how easy is it to fly a helicopter when you can't reach the pedals?

Distinct area of daylight between them and the crew's boots in that last picture! lol

About as easy as driving a car if you can't reach the steering wheel; it can be done, but it doesn't always end very well.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

About as easy as driving a car if you can't reach the steering wheel; it can be done, but it doesn't always end very well.

Sounds like you tried it Crisp!

Martian

A tad more work on the FLIR fit tonight, I've added the downlink antenna and the wiring, I'll remove the resin rod dipole 

and scratch up a plastic one, I think the resin rod is a bit to short.

FLIR turret base has been detailed up a bit more, i'll probably add this after the fuse is joined up as it will get in the way of cleaning up the joints.

P1050042

P1050043

P1050035

P1050034

P1050045

P1050046

A bit more work around the lens area of the FLIR turret and it should be good to go :-) 

Dan 

• Like 7