Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

They were only fitted on RN pingers on that window as that is the permanent station for the Observer. No point putting them on other windows because anyone sat in those seats would probably be expendable! That's where I had to sit as a lonely grubber doing check test flights when we had a full crew. It was great when we didn't have any back seat crew on test flights as I got the whole back end to myself, but was never allowed to 'watch telly' or press any buttons! The grab handles were fitted around the early to mid 90s and were a bit of a pain because like all Westland mod kits nothing lined up with the drawings!

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

They were only fitted on RN pingers on that window as that is the permanent station for the Observer. No point putting them on other windows because anyone sat in those seats would probably be expendable! That's where I had to sit as a lonely grubber doing check test flights when we had a full crew. It was great when we didn't have any back seat crew on test flights as I got the whole back end to myself, but was never allowed to 'watch telly' or press any buttons! The grab handles were fitted around the early to mid 90s and were a bit of a pain because like all Westland mod kits nothing lined up with the drawings!

Bob

Explaines why the junglies didn't have them fitted then  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Not actually all windows - the forward starboard one doesn't ever have them; but yes, the HAR.3A alone would use half of the number I'd need....

....I actually mis-calculated, and would need 16 (eight pairs) rather than 12 - but still not enough to justify buying the set, even allowing for spares!

Might just be because there is a bloody big spar holding the sponson onto the fuselage, right next to the window that the cargo can use to pull themselves out of the window opening if required ;) but only during a crash or emergency ditching :D

And not forgetting a  big door 

• Haha 2

Hi,

outstanding work at first, will save this thread when building mine HC.4 and HAS.5 from Gulf war. Not to steal this topic, but I have to ask. I have a picture (included here) of HAS.5 from Gulf war, and it says they were updated with:

AN/ALQ-157 IR jammers - same position as on HC.4 ?

Trimble GPS antenna - which position ?

Yellow Veil ECM pod - Same as on Lynx HAS.3GM ? Which position ? ( I can only guess on port aft side, where was/is torpedo pylon ? Any pictures/drawings ?)

Sandpiper FLIR - where ? as it looks like from the pic it was in much front position than on this build... was this just some temporary mod ?

Btw, I already asked Airfix if they will do HAS.5, but they told me that can not say yes or no .... so, what is the best start to build this version ? Airfix HAR.3 + bits and pieces from Revell kits + scratchbuilding ? I even considered making some small additiona PE set to improve my HC.4, so I could try to squeeze there some bits for this HAS.5 ...

Big thanks and keep up the great build, it is really inspirational !!

seakings.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Jakub, 

Can’t really help with the spec’s of the Gulf war HAS5 buddy but I’m sure there are a few on the forum that possibly can. But please feel free to take what you need from my build fella :yes:

Dan 

Been working on gap filling and seam sorting, not really much to worry about to be fare, but the pitot tubes that Airfix provide 

are a real funny looking item, they were to short and had big blobs on the ends so I sorted that out with plastic rod, they are probably at the moment a tad to 

long so I'll adjust later.

I also broke the hand rail off the underside, that will need to be rebuilt later, it was very fragile to start with. 

Here we are as of today :D

39855768992_000dbf7674_b.jpg

39855770462_7831c8cbf5_b.jpg

39855767092_524e70f1b6_b.jpg

39855765652_d2f11ca17d_b.jpg

39855764282_83a766515f_b.jpg

25016630597_16cceb6793_b.jpg

25016629117_1d394925d2_b.jpg

39888693601_b8ce173f8e_b.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 9

Thank you guys :D

I've just knocked up a painting stand, just to make things a bit easier to handle for the stages ahead, as the cab is going to be wheels up 

and there is a lot of fragile thingy ma jigs on the underside. It's probably best to keep the cab up a bit :D

26020486268_91c952fcc2_b.jpg

26020492168_c25f4e4080_b.jpg

25022283757_6e342ddeac_b.jpg

The main base fits perfectly into an Ikea picture frame,  very nice :-)  A bit of bracing on the underside of the base to support the rod and we are done ! 

Fastest Diorama base I've ever made.

39183524104_95e7bd65d3_b.jpg

39183516604_5339c25f82_b.jpg

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 9

Thank you Jan :yes:

A quick question for you Sea King guys , in the hover does the Sea King sit with the nose slightly up ?

I’m thinking it is so I’ll need to bend the Perspex rod support to suit the angle.

Cheers 

Dan 

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Can I ask, where did you get the Perspex rod? My Google-fu has failed me, perhaps because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for?

Yeah no worries, I bought mine from Amazon UK, only a few quid and free postage from China, took 2 weeks to arrive :D

So more detailing work going on, I've added the brackets for what I think is the blade folding supports? Still got to make one more yet though. I've also added the HF wire antenna brackets and the small 

light next to the winch.  Sea Anchor wire added to the nose, I've also re made the had rail that goes under the cabin door that I broke so that should go on this afternoon.

25115489717_b3e5c1c2bb_b.jpg

25115493297_9bf829aaf8_b.jpg

25115495067_6b1f45c87f_b.jpg

25115496597_e183a5ec02_b.jpg

28206657929_07f17d5e0e_b.jpg

Cheers for looking in folks 

Dan 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great work, still cant believe its only 1:72! Just a quick bit of pedancy (if that is such a word!) those brackets are for a servicing platform that fits around the radome (never seen one used though) and should be located more square on to the radome. They do look nice though! Keep up the cracking work!

Bob

3 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Great work, still cant believe its only 1:72! Just a quick bit of pedancy (if that is such a word!) those brackets are for a servicing platform that fits around the radome (never seen one used though) and should be located more square on to the radome. They do look nice though! Keep up the cracking work!

Bob

Ahh, Cheers Bob, I did wonder what they were for , now I know :D I might just move them now.

Cheers Dan ( I should of asked first, Doh !  ) 

• Like 1