Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

On 07/12/2017 at 06:41, andyf117 said:

Same here, which I believe is XV666 - no sign of a plate, or a hole!

Ah, XV666; the legendary “Damian”.  Still flying even now, would you believe?

• Like 1

Cheers Bob,

Last few items now in place.  Just used some brass rod to get the stretcher in place. 

P1050091

P1050092

P1050093

That looks like the usual stowage position for the RN cabs 

This is what's seen from the doorway.

P1050094

P1050095

Cheers for looking once again.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 12

I've been watching this quietly from the sidelines and have to say that i absolutely love the detailing and the care and attenton you're giving to it.

I know some folk will argue that because much of it isn't seen, there's not a lot of point adding super detail to interiors, but I think there are times when every minute spent on the 'hidden extras' is absolutely worth it. This is one of them. I'm really looking forward to see it progress through to the final piece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Guys for the comments and likes :yes:

Like a spanner I just dropped the thing, only a few inches onto my bench and busted three of the main bits inside the fuselage, The stowage locker, Observers seat and consul...

Gutted :o

I managed to get the fuselage apart and rebuilt the damage, the pilot has also jumped out and the spotlight from under the right hand side sponson has broken off so they will require a bit more work.

Just repairing the main damage has taken all afternoon so not much more of an update.

Dan 

• Sad 4

If you turn and look at any of us I defy you to find someone to whom the very same thing hasn't happened

OK I grant you not necessarily to a very fine Sea King but, definitely to at least one (and in my case MANY of my most precious projects have taken the unwanted dive)

My Wasp jumped three and a half feet down to the hard laminate floor and was amazingly unscathed

That I can assure you is unprecedented

All of my other cases of dropsy have resulted in grievous modelly harm

You will soon have us alongside and cheering

bad luck :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Orange Crop controller in my Sea King has defied all attempts to glue it in position, and has detached itself during minor knocks to the model no fewer than 3 times - invariably just after the windscreen has been re-instated and carefully faired back into the paint job.

Bill’s right; it happens to us all.  Given the skill you have shown to get it to here, you’ll recover easily.

• Thanks 1

Almost back on track now, just the pilot to add to the cockpit.

Added some missing details to the tail area, I think its a antenna of some sort or a redundant antenna mounting point. Also added a missing antenna to the underside

of the tail.

27332646439_2128cc7fd5_b.jpg

27332656699_eeafaf85cd_b.jpg

38399873294_cc89c081bb_b.jpg

38399869424_ac408d3c06_b.jpg

24249286637_0ece97e4e5_b.jpg

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 7

I’m pretty sure that the circular thing on the spine is a GPS antenna (though we didn’t have much of that new-fangled sat-nav stuff in my era, so I might be wrong).  No idea what the underside gizmos are - especially the ?bracket? on the tailwheeel fairing; that fairing is not exactly robust, so whatever it was for can’t be anything very heavy.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m pretty sure that the circular thing on the spine is a GPS antenna (though we didn’t have much of that new-fangled sat-nav stuff in my era, so I might be wrong).  No idea what the underside gizmos are - especially the ?bracket? on the tailwheeel fairing; that fairing is not exactly robust, so whatever it was for can’t be anything very heavy.

Cheers Fella :yes:

I’ve also noticed that the FLIR equipped cabs have another triangular shaped bracket on the left hand side of the fuselage just above the downlink Antenna. This also looks suspiciously like a GPS dome to me but the radio engineer in me says that it’s not the logical place to have one, mid point on the fuselage side rather than the highest point ?  It would not be looking at the sky during some manoeuvres as it would be in shadow or clipped by fuselage. 

More investigation i think ;)

Dan 

Glad you have managed to repair the model. As others have said, it happens to all of us. You should have been here at Martian Towers when I dropped my SH-34 two weeks before Telford. On second thoughts, you definitely did not want to be here when I dropped the model. Everyone in the house, the cat included, suddenly remembered that Sunday afternoon appointment they had made to have their nostrils plucked!

Martian

• Like 1

It looks like there could be a circular GPS type antenna fitted to the top of the plinth fitted on the side of the FLIR equipped airframes

24281111487_ac617dc276_c.jpgIMGP9938 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

24281111737_66ce3f493b_c.jpgIMGP0858 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

It seems to have been fitted where this circular plate was on a non FLIR aiframe

39110049462_16b42ae7fa_b.jpgIMGP0850 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Willy

• Thanks 1