Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Now started adding the smaller PE details to the main airframe, fiddly work :) And it looks like Eduard got a few errors on the instructions 

for these small square parts, miss numbering a couple of them.

P1040737_zpsdnc0iby0.jpg

P1040739_zpsf0iipxu8.jpg

Added the mount for the small whip antenna to the rear of the spine. Carbon rod will get used for the whip antenna.

P1040740_zpsnyqhyoxr.jpg

And the tail rotor gets some brass.

P1040738_zpss8g4hamr.jpg

Still a load left to do, scratch build the radar ops position, stretcher, smoke float storage and rivet the airframe, looking at using the HGW rivets (72nd scale) the same 

as Crisp used on his amazing Hasegawa 48th version. 

More later folks :)

Dan 

• Like 7

A bit of work on the main IP, wonder why Eduard printed the main IP black and the centre consul grey? 

P1040746_zps8i6lqund.jpg

P1040742_zpsfysulf6b.jpg

P1040743_zpsi3ofglkr.jpg

I've scratched the map holder, well I think it is ?  It's a tad too far forward I think, but I'm not going to move it now.

P1040745_zpsloew0bz4.jpg

Regards

Dan 

• Like 7

Cheers Andy,  You can have the blades if that's of use fella, the Radar Ops station would be useful if you don't need :yes:

PM me your address and I'll get them away for you.

Dan 

Given the IP a flat varnish to remove the sheen from the pre painted parts and added the glass for the instruments using the AK Gauzy agent.

Also worked more on the crew. Just to make them more like a UK crew.

P1040753_zpskejjbaqy.jpg

P1040747_zpsydaylxfo.jpg

P1040754_zps5jxtmzwj.jpg

P1040752_zpsqcmwem77.jpg

P1040750_zpsovm8wbhj.jpg

And in primer 

P1040755_zpsbso4iu73.jpg

P1040756_zpsyf6bprbe.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 8

Thank you Roger :D

For a bit of relief from building I thought id paint up a figure, Its been 30+ years since I've attempted to paint a 72nd scale figure 

so this was a laugh.  The reflective X on the helmet will get done with some white decal paper and he will get a flat varnish 

to tone him down a little.  So at the moment it's basic blocking and shadow  of the colours and some highlights need to be yet added. 

P1040758_zpsohljff9w.jpg

P1040765_zpssx4vpooi.jpg

P1040766_zpsqqunwakt.jpg

Enjoyable little exercise so far, I think he needs some black knee pad type things though.

Dan 

• Like 9

I was looking for something else and came across this which seems appropriate for where you are at with build.

(assuming that your man is the winchman as he has the blue harness rather than dispatcher green one)

18774026429_904cd5e6ca_b.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great photo fella, cheers for sending it my way.

I'm probably only going to use the two pilots who will be in green flying suits

and this guy who I painted up in the doorway on this build (PJ set gives you four figures in total ) 

Also it looks like the main harness for the chap on the wire is red with blueish straps, something I've not noticed before :yes:

Dan 

The red bit is like a bucket seat which as he is suspended from cg gives him better control.(see second photo)

A rescue strop suspends you above your head so you have little control.

5e56694cbad7d6fc2d4ae947fe4fb9a2.jpg

You see a rear shot here.

5488777c478713d3767d2d5df37139ab--search

• Like 1

Just adding more detail to the pilots, waiting for the Greenstuff putty to cure before primer 

and paint,  added pen pockets, leg pockets and a pouch or two on the vests just to make them a bit more 

like UK crew.

P1040784_zpsmvfr4bht.jpg

P1040785_zpsilxjazzw.jpg

P1040786_zpsuwy6ab7g.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 5

Moving on to the chaps who fly the cab, pilot and co-pilot,

again these chaps have been blocked in with some basic details painted up,

just for your interest I've used Mig Ammo paints.

P1040788_zpsn2cdu6es.jpg

P1040790_zpsioirfv8r.jpg

P1040792_zpsgkfew8j0.jpg

More photos tomorrow, cheers for all the comments and likes people, all appreciated.

Dan 

• Like 6

Those figures are superb; I'd be happy with them in 1/48, let alone Braille Scale.

Incidentally, Dan, the answer to your question re why Eduard had made some of the cockpit grey and some black is, I'm afraid, because they have become confused - it should be one or the other.  Originally Sea Kings had grey cockpits, but then NVG-modified aircraft had black ones.  I wouldn't worry about it; yours will look fine when everything is buttoned up. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you chaps,  it's been a while since I've painted figures in 72nd scale but I must say these have been great, ol PJ got these almost right. The winch man was the best to paint up as the details are nice, pilot and co pilot are a bit softer which makes things a tad harder to get right. I still need to add a bit more highlights to the green coveralls and the refective X on the helmets yet which will add to them even more. Next up will be a Matt varnish to take the sheen away and I also need to paint in the seat belts.

I did think that on the IP and centre consul Crisp, all the ref photos I looked at showed one or the other so a bit of a boo boo by Eduard it seems, not really cricket considering the price they are now extorting for PE. I'm going to live with it on this build and treat the centre consul to a very thin black oil wash, mainly to sit in the etched panels. Should make it better I hope. 

Perdu, if you are ever passing North Wales then call in, we can sort something out for your crew figures fella, not a problem at all :thumbsup2: it would be a pleasure.

BR

Dan 

Cheers Andy :yes:

Onwards and upwards, more details being added, I'm going to try and paint the ace of clubs on the badge of the co-pilot,

I've used a bit of white decal paper for the background and I'll try to add a spot of black paint to represent the club.

P1040793_zps7xtmsamh.jpg

P1040794_zpsccjlpbwd.jpg

P1040796_zpsmsm4qytm.jpg

P1040795_zpso0ay0amf.jpg

He does look a bit grumpy though :) 

Dan 

• Like 3

Not much done over the weekend but I started on more inside detail,

Couldn't resist adding a few cables and wires to the cabin, you wont see it 

so I guess its a bit of a waste of time. Still all good practice for other projects :wink:

P1040801_zpszphehbvo.jpg

Also started mocking up the cabin layout, a lot of work yet to be done here.

P1040803_zpstvarjxco.jpg

And started on the radar op's position, I need to scratch the trestle legs yet and look at the back of the unit to see what else 

needs to be added. Big thanks goes to Andy for sending this part over :yes:  The Revell part is actually a very good fit to the inside profile of the Airfix 

kit, just a few swipes of a sanding stick and its a near perfect fit to the contours. 

P1040802_zpsutrvauhi.jpg

More later

Dan 

• Like 6