Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Not much time over the last few days at the bench but I did manage 

to sort out the sponsons, I had to clean up the join on the top but as you 

can imagine I wiped out the panel lines. I rescribed these and polished 

up the plastic with micro mesh. 

Both lights under the sponsons are now done but I need to add the wiring and connectors yet. 

The crew door has had some work done, not sure what the deal was with the big bit of plastic to the bottom right hand side

but I cut it off and polished the plastic. Also there was bump to the left of the window, again I could not find any ref to this so

"Mag to Grid " get rid !  

The Tamiya tape is just to protect the window whilst I hacked the crew door about. 

P1040877_zpspgclb9a7.jpg

P1040876_zpsupxodrqx.jpg

P1040879_zpsdfowwyjl.jpg

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

Adding more detail to the winch area, there is a handle just over the crew door 

which is missing from the kit so I made one from brass rod. Also I tidied up the winch 

support bracket on the engine area, it was a bit messy but now looks a bit more like it.

I also added a bracket to the underside of the winch which has a hole in it, you can just make it out in the pictures.

Next I added the protective cover to a connector of some type just above the sponson, the other side is also done.

I've done more scribing on the tail area but its not worth taking a photo of this yet. Slow progress I know :undecided:

P1040880_zpsedjc0mk9.jpg

P1040882_zps0pl0qxbt.jpg

P1040883_zpsszn7ot9t.jpg

P1040881_zps0vbinaj1.jpg

Cheers for looking and the likes :D

Dan 

• Like 10

Cheers Roger, 

More work done on the interior details, the smoke float holder has been detailed, I know its supposed to be angled upwards but 

I didn't want to scratch build a new one, its only going to been seen through the canopy so its mainly the front I've worked on. Still to add the 

brackets for holding the floats yet. 

P1040886_zpsrqdd6fx3.jpg

P1040885_zpsvre6febf.jpg

P1040884_zpsvgzxrznx.jpg

Cabin door handle, another one yet to be done on the other side.

P1040887_zpsfdmja4o1.jpg

P1040888_zpsn9qehig4.jpg

And the rear tie down ring next to the tail wheel.

P1040889_zpsl7efe6ck.jpg

P1040890_zpsldtsr4oc.jpg

Cheers for looking all 

Dan

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice detail work - aren't you worried about the patio heater and the other fiddlies getting knocked off during the painting process? :hmmm:

Cheers Mike,  They should be okay TBH, they are quite well bonded and I'm looking at wiring them up so it's easier to do that after the riveting but before the painting stage, if that makes sense :huh:

Dan 

Checking the fit of the crew steps in the forward cabin, door is now glued and the window masked up inside and out.

Getting close to primer and paint for the inside now.

P1040898_zpscvxudcum.jpg

P1040897_zpszvjtchup.jpg

P1040896_zpshdkmiacg.jpg

Cheers for looking and the likes :yes:

Dan

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're gonna need to get a wriggle on fella ;)

Who would of thought that the Navy and RAF Sea Kings are soooo much different eh? I thought it was going to be a simple job 

with a few bits n bobs different but no :undecided:

They had to change most things didn't they,  most of the changes are a pain to sort for the modeller to sort out and you just know 

Airfix will release a Royal Navy version as soon as I start to paint this one. 

• Like 1

Getting closer now, I've made the sea tray for the main cabin, still have the two dams 

to make from Green Stuff epoxy putty yet but the floor needed to cure off before adding these.

I've also added the back of the winch, stowage thingy to the cabin side, these will have the pockets 

and pouches added later.

P1040899_zps4jb5yy8g.jpg

P1040900_zpshnhzwok8.jpg

P1040903_zps9qwhtrdc.jpg

P1040904_zpsojxsvmpx.jpg

I also started to build the step, made this from the HC4 etched set but cut down, its going to need a lot of work yet before its fitted.

P1040901_zps5ri1ogv9.jpg

More material to be removed from the step itself but the basic shape is almost done, I'll fill some of the holes with solder and clean it up.

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

That green putty looks very effective at making padded cabin walls. Interesting to see you using it to create texture on the floor.

Cheers Nige, I tried to replicate the Sea tray, I think it's a heavy gauge plastic waterproof liner that prevents water from getting to places that it's not supposed to go. I think all the SAR Cabs had them fitted RAF and Navy but again the RAF version is different :huh:

Dan 

• Like 1

Neat work on the sea tray with the epoxy putty, I was going to use wine bottle foil but then again... you do know, that epoxy can be cured?

Colin

Apologies for the quip, it's the junglie in me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Neat work on the sea tray with the epoxy putty, I was going to use wine bottle foil but then again... you do know, that epoxy can be cured?

Colin

Apologies for the quip, it's the junglie in me.

A good shot of penicillin cures all so they say :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I did my Wessex HAR2 I used a thick plastic bag, one of the high end stores like Debenhams or Harrods maybe?

I wish I'd had the epoxy putty, it would have been miles better

Enjoying this one dads, beautiful work

• Thanks 1

One of the issues with the conversion to a RN HAR5 is the bubble window by the Radar op 

seat. I wasn't sure on how to do this, I thought about vac forming the new window at first. :huh:

But I don't have the kit to do that. 

In the HAR3 boxing you get two bubble windows for the rear compartment, 

they are not the same size as the window mid cabin :undecided:  typically so they cannot be used.

I trawled through all the kits I have in the stash to see if any others with bubble windows might work... Nothing close at all :( 

So I thought about using the larger window and cutting off the blister and adding that to the correct size mid cabin window..

Would it work? Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Rear cabin bubble window on the sprue, 

P1040907_zps0lidlyq5.jpg

Blister removed very carefully with a razor saw.

P1040908_zpsd0zs1szz.jpg

Drilled a small hole in the centre of the mid cabin window and used my old RC car body reamer to open out a hole to the same size as the blister that I cut off the other window.

P1040909_zpshpdffv18.jpg

Polished up the cut on the blister window with micro mesh and polishing compound and carefully glued the blister onto the new window using Tamiya extra thin. 

I then once the glue had dried dipped the whole window in Klear and this was the result :D A few marks on the blister where I used tweezers, didn't see them to be honest 

until it had been Kleared.

P1040910_zpsrdzcliqk.jpg

P1040911_zps9jfklaxd.jpg

It turned out better than I thought, now the whole window unit fits into the frame nicely. I would of probably vacformed one but I don't have the kit to do that kind of work yet.

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 10