Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Just been mucking about with the winch,  needs some rivets adding to the housing yet 

but I've added the spring thing to the hook assembly and reshaped the hook to look better,

added the locking bar to it as well so the crewman doesn't fall off the ook ! 

On the fuselage side next to the mounting I've added the connectors for the plumbing and 

the hole for the missing support bar to the winch.

P1040839_zpsqcjv1wju.jpg

P1040843_zps8wek53b4.jpg

P1040844_zpsz5dotay8.jpg

P1040841_zpsaq3rzcjt.jpg

P1040842_zpsy5in5mto.jpg

Not much progress as I've had other things going on but a step closer 

to bringing up the kit to my standards.

Dan 

Excellent work... especially like that your thinking if the winchman.... we didn't like falling off the hook.  Always dreaded the words " cut cut " but to be fair you wouldn't hear it as no comms in my day when dangling !!.... ignorance is sometimes bliss !! 😉👍

Loving the detail especially in this scale 😃

• Like 2

Cheers Nigel,  comments are really appreciated fella especially after seeing your builds on the forum :thumbsup2:

I use this epoxy putty, it's much better than milliput and has the edge over magic sculpt, very fine in texture and easier to form and sculpt, same principle, you can smooth it with water, use talcum powder to roll it out into really thin sheets.

https://sylmasta.com/product/duro-reel-green-stuff-36-90cm/

It drys with a rubbery feel but takes primer really well, I've never had any issues with it, try it and you won't use anything else afterward.

HTH

Dan 

• Like 1

Version two seats are in the paint shop, these will look a bit better with the crew fitted 

they have the basic blocking done with some shadow, highlights to the cushions yet to be done winch has had the missing supports added,

again these are overscale but I couldn't be bothered to scratch the scaffolding in thinner rod.

P1040848_zpsn3th8wwq.jpg

P1040849_zpsyr904xuf.jpg

P1040850_zps2yrrewq5.jpg

P1040855_zpsgr0fr3rn.jpg

P1040856_zpscoicsgtw.jpg

P1040853_zpsuhm6m2ku.jpg

P1040854_zpshygoqmf2.jpg

P1040847_zpsdhm9e0xa.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 7

Lookin' good Dan, nice detail onthe seat and inthe cabin. However, I see you have fitted the hoist, it might become a bit of a problem when you start airbrushing the fus. You might want to remove it, spray it seperately and then add it later.

Colin

• Like 1

Thank you chaps,

Some progress on the Radar Consul today, the legs are to long but will get cut down to fit.

I need to leave this set properly before I carry out fitting. Still have a few details to add.

I'll amend the winch next and get that looking right :wink:

P1040857_zpscpghqvhj.jpg

P1040858_zpsxriv8xzd.jpg

P1040859_zpsejweufal.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 7

Mocking up and planning the two spot lights below the sponsons,

Plastic rod used for the bracket and the two spots on the clear sprue 

left over from the HC4 kit, Airfix did not delete these parts from the HAR 3 issue  :D

P1040863_zpsankviuiv.jpg

P1040864_zpsfdr05iyy.jpg

P1040865_zps8tupi7m6.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 3

Cheers Andy,

The winch will be one of the last items glued, I still need to rivet the airframe and then mask up for painting.

Adding some detail to the wheel wells, not much as its not going to be seen. Also cut out the other light on the sponson arm,

will add the glass to this this later.

P1040867_zpsluwkytyd.jpg

P1040866_zpscixan3ss.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 4

Just a small update,  the light on the sponson is now in and cleaned polished up,

I did paint the inside silver but the CA looks like its fogged it a bit.

P1040871_zpspmwx2yd2.jpg

I've also added more fixtures to hull, the forward pylon brackets which are being used for the spot lights.

P1040870_zpslmv7wwt9.jpg

P1040869_zpswi2f4xet.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 4

On 25/08/2017 at 11:58, andyf117 said:

Ummmm, I'm going to do the "I do hope you've....." thing again, I'm afraid, Dan!

.As in I do hope you've got the appropriate thinners/methylated spirit or whatever medium you need to strip the paint off that hover light.....

.....though the natural tendency is to paint the reflective area of a light housing silver, these particular units are gold, as seen here (from the walkaround section):

All in hand Andy, clear yellow on the lens is my method :D

What an incredible job! That's bringing back some memories. I flew these for 6 years so if you have any questions or anything I can help with, please let me know - assuming you haven't already got a guy for that! It looks wonderful, and the details are fantastic. Only the back cushion was orange - we sat on a green PSP with a sheepskin cream cover on top, I don't know if it's too late to change that!

Great job again!

• Like 1

Thank you chaps,

No work over the weekend on the build as I attended the Future 4 Heroes course up the Lake District, just got home and I'm totally warn out. A very full 3 days. 

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get more done over the next few days, I'll get the seats sorted as mentioned by wafu_vasco, cheers for the info on that fella :thumbsup2:

cheers 

Dan 

• Thanks 1

So more detailing work today, I added the wire for the cargo hook thingy,

0.2mm lead wire and some ally foil, I think I should of riveted the airframe first 

but I got a bit carried away :huh:     Still needs a bit of cleaning up yet with the fibreglass pencil.

Seats are being repainted to represent the woollen covers, more shading and highlights yet to go but please

remember that crew figures will seated on them so very little will be seen.

P1040872_zpsbxnd6bno.jpg

P1040873_zpspytjwirn.jpg

P1040875_zpsxyjuggbi.jpg

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 3

On 25/07/2017 at 5:18 PM, bootneck said:

We used to trial something like this with the Wessex 5, at Culdrose in 1970.  A morse signal would be received in the cockpit; either Uniform (dot dot dash) or a Delta (dash dot dot) one being go left the other meaning go right.  Very basic but the trials were quite successful, would this be the same?

Mike

Yeah had that on sk4 VTAC homing....then with AUP2 they got the bunny ears for homing with bowman......i think