Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Thanks chaps,

Just a small update, I've been working on a few details that's missing from the Airfix kit, 

a breather vent and the plugs for the torpedo pylons which appear to still be fitted on the SAR 

cabs 

P1040690_zpscbqtprfe.jpg

Still working on the sea tray, this is the area I need photos of btw ....hint , hint 

P1040691_zpsc0fv0iyc.jpg

The extra fuel filler 

P1040692_zpssgqp58mk.jpg

P1040693_zpslaluknsi.jpg

And the rotor hub and blades, just slightly angled upwards showing them under load , each blade is brass pinned so I can adjust each blade.

P1040694_zpszbofrs2k.jpg

P1040695_zpspjn67vah.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 13

Ah late to the party as ever! Always nice to see a Sea King done in a 'proper' livery :winkgrin:. The airfix kit is a lovely kit and goes together well if you look after the joints. I'll have a look in my refs for any pictures of the areas you are looking for but I don't think I have much. I did a Belgian Sea King a couple of years ago and really struggled for those areas, but I shall look anyway. Excellent work so far!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Cheers Bob :D

I've scratched the life raft from Greenstuff epoxy putty, this sits next to forward part of the main door just next to the seats.

Doesn't look much but it should add some colour.

P1040697_zpsjf2yormy.jpg

P1040696_zpsd0mn7y50.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 5

Cheers Andy,

Just what I was looking for matey :-) 

I've been working on the forward cabin areas today, I think its a stowage locker with canvas covers 

so I've replicated the soft doors with Green Stuff, close enough for me.

P1040699_zpsltrcctwo.jpg

P1040700_zpsbbhna9m5.jpg

P1040701_zpsibdk3ft5.jpg

P1040702_zpsvxl5f8jq.jpg

P1040703_zps3jasqbqt.jpg

I managed to get a screen grab of a short video clip of the area so I can work out what to make :) 

not the best image but I can see the detail.

Sea%20king%20rear_zpsca38nqq5.jpg

Regards

Dan 

• Like 8

One question for the Sea King experts, would the 771 Sqn cabs still have the sonar buoy antenna mounting brackets fitted to the undersides, I've seen some with and some without? 

Cheers

Dan 

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

One question for the Sea King experts, would the 771 Sqn cabs still have the sonar buoy antenna mounting brackets fitted to the undersides, I've seen some with and some without? 

Cheers

Dan 

I'm not an avionic type person but if you have a picture of what the sonar buoy antenna looks like I may be able to say if they were fitted to SAR cabs or not.

10 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

I'm not an avionic type person but if you have a picture of what the sonar buoy antenna looks like I may be able to say if they were fitted to SAR cabs or not.

Cheers fella,  they are the two blade antennas fitted to the rear of the underside, 

all the photos I've seen of the 771 cabs don't have the antennas fitted but some look like they have the rectangular mounting plates in situ, I'll pop off to find a pic :) 

Dan 

Ah, I know the ones. It looks like most airframes have had them fitted in the past. If removed it would only be the aerial and wiring taken out and the plinth would remain as that is riveted in and to remove it would involve quite a bit of extra work to repair the structure. Much easier to remove the aerial and just fit a blanking plate. So I would say a safe bet is to include the pliths. Just to through a spanner in the works I did find this image of one with a different aerial fitted to the forward plinth, not sure n the time frame for this mod though.

Hope this helps

Bob

15090676245_79dee4bfc5_b.jpg

Edited by moaning dolphin
smelling p**stakes
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Some nice putty-work on display there Dan San, as well as your handsome checked pyjamas! :cwl:

Who says they are my PJ's mate ? It's all the rage in the Wrexham area you know ! 

Just a small update today,

Some work on the crew, pockets added to the flying suit pants and the cloth covers 

to the crew helmets.

P1040705_zpsrqi64ifk.jpg

P1040704_zpszc0yvndt.jpg

Added a cover of tarp to the locker, just for interest 

P1040706_zpsazixrfxc.jpg

P1040708_zpsewcybukm.jpg

Won't really get much more done today :( 

Dan 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

I've photos of all 16 HU.5s, and as always, this will depend on the specific aircraft you're depicting - you're going to need to choose your references carefully, because:

XV647 - as /20 both blade antennae; as /20 just plinths; as /07 just plinths; as /28 just one plinth.

XV648 - as /08 both plinths; as /18 both plinths.

XV651 - as /24 both plinths.

XV661 - as /24 at least one blade; as /26 one plinth.

XV666 - as /23 both blades; as /21 one plinth; as /23 none.

XV670 - as /17 both plinths; uncoded with both plinths.

XV673 - as /27 both plinths.

XV699 - as /23 both plinths.

XV705 - as /21 both blades; as /29 one plinth.

XZ578 - as /08 both plinths; as /30 both plinths; uncoded both plinths.

XZ920 - as /22 both plinths; as 07 both plinths; as /24 both plinths; as /26 both plinths.

ZA130 - as /09 can't tell; as 19 one plinth. 

ZA134 - as /25 both plinths; uncoded both plinths.

ZA137 - as /20 both plinths.

ZA166 - as /28 both plinths; as /16 both plinths.

ZA167 - as /22 both blades; as /25 both plinths (also with MAD sponson); as /22 both plinths.

Cheers Andy,

I'll have to check my decals to see which A/C I have, I do have several sets, I think I have the below 

serials, I'm leaning towards XV699 / 23.

XV705/21 Almark 

XV705/21 MA

XV699/23 Airfix 

Dan 

magicsculpt

I am most impressed with what you have done with that there magicsculpt stuff. That's definitely a product and technique to be stashed away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

I am most impressed with what you have done with that there magicsculpt stuff. That's definitely a product and technique to be stashed away.

It's a good bit of kit to have in the tool box Nigel, I prefer the Greenstuff to the Magic sculpt as I find it easier to work with but they are basically the same stuff. 

Greenstuff  is a bit smoother than the other products and I found that with a bit of talcum powder I can roll it out thinner than Magic sculpt or  Milliput. 

Dan 

• Like 1

Hello Dan,

Very nice job on your Sea King

Great detailling, I really enjoy it, must make a rotor thing in a near future !

Thank for sharing, sorry for all your problems, modelling will help to bury it and gettin' through !

Sincerely.

corsaircorp

• Like 1