Percival Prentice

Hi, 

many years ago (about 1959) I had my first flight. It was in a Percival Prentice at Southend airport. We flew over Paglesham, where I spotted my Uncle ted's boat (which we'd only minutes before left).  I was 7 years old, it was my birthday and it cost 7/6d for about 30 minutes.

I would love to make a model in 1/48th or maybe 1/32nd scale of this old kite and am wondering if anyone has some drawings, 3 views, etc. of the plane and any links to pictures of the one that they operated as a trip plane at Southend back then.

I recall sitting sideways looking ACROSS the cockpit. I heard they made a 7 seater version of one of the many that Freddie Laker bought off the RAF.  Maybe it was that one.

Cheers,

Martin

In addition to the AN drawings there are at least three other sources. Aeromodeller Nov 1947 but as these are the pre-production aircraft they're not recommended. The prototype plans featured in the last Aircraft of the Fighting Powers. The more accurate ones are probably in David Gearing's Percival book. The plans in Sylvester's Percival book are the Percival model shop drawings and are very nice, but around 100th scale and so fine lined they have not reproduced well.

John

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 10:37 AM, Scratchbuilder said:

I recall sitting sideways looking ACROSS the cockpit. I heard they made a 7 seater version of one of the many that Freddie Laker bought off the RAF.  Maybe it was that one.

The Silvester books says Aviation Traders (Engineering) Ltd of Southend, headed by Laker, bought 252 redundant Prentices, intending to sell offer them on the civil market as glider tugs, cropsprayers, limousines and the like, but managed to sell... 25!!.  There is a photo, taken in July 1975, of G-APJB which was modified to accommodate 5 people.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's the one, Seahawk.

It was there that I had my flight and the seating was definitely unorthodox and I shall try to replicate that in the model.  I think it's the same one that went to Coventry for the joy ride company.

Cheers,

Martin