Mig Ammo rotbraun coming out very orange

Meteors

Hi, as the title says this paint is really orange, not very red or brown at all, nothing like the box art of the takom king tiger or the colour schemes within. Has anyone else used this paint, i think it was number 014, did I get a dud bottle?

Cheers,

Tom

It should be a deep red brown, as in the photo below

35635109922_256b8e9a1d_b.jpg

Ammo paints have a tendency for the pigment to settle to the bottom of the bottle and that can affect the colour. If you can't hear the ball bearing rattling about when you shake the bottle, the pigment will have congealed at the bottom. Take the dropper top off and give it a stir with a paint brush handle until the pigment mixes in. Put the dropper and cap back on and give the bottle a good shake and let the ball bearing mix the paint up well. It should be okay after that.

If it's still the wrong colour then you probably do have a dodgy bottle.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion about the pigment at the bottom of the bottle, Andy, I'll give that a go as it's way brighter and orange than your pic and others I've seen. 

If if it doesn't come good I guess I'll just go with a tamiya red brown and see how that comes out. 

Cheers!

So Andy recommended I take the stopper off the bottle and give it a good mix, which I did, and it was a great tip as I wasn't aware you could do that, but unfortunately the colour of the Mig rotbraun remained very orange. 

Andy's next recommendation was to try out the Vallejo Cavalry Brown 70.982, so I picked up a bottle. Here's a picture of the two bottles next to the Mig Ammo colour profile insert from the Takom King Tiger kit. A picture speaks a thousand words, as they say. 

35774042961_96241a99c5_b.jpg

So, heartened from that quick comparison I got the airbrush out and did a quick light coat on half of the lower hull that I'd already orange'd up with the Mig rotbraun. The results were instantly obvious. Andy knows his stuff.

35905681915_a9cfd9ea0b_b.jpg

35065596094_0480cc194e_b.jpg

So I'll be using the cavalry brown for my King Tiger. I'm going to be doing the two tone like the box art using another ammo colour (dunkelgelb?) that I'd already purchased, I hope that one is well matched. It's a shame about that rottenbraun, I like the Mig products, their washes and pigments and mud effects are great. But, man, that rotbraun was rubbish. Neither rot, nor braun.

Big thanks to Andy for all his help, cheers mate!

Tom

• Like 1

The cavalry brown looks like a big improvement. It does look like you got a dud bottle of AMMO rotbraun.

I can recommend their dunkelgelb which is a good match. Just hope you haven't got another bad bottle.

Andy

• Like 1

Yeah, it's well off, isn't it? Oh well, it was only a couple of quid, not the end of the world, and it's not like it ruined my model so all's well that ends well!

Wow that´s really weird my bottle is completely different.

This is the engine compartment of my T/34-85 the the main parts are rotbraun on a white primer while the red engine bits are rotbraun on gunmetal gray as you can see there a hint of orange but not nearly as extreme as in your case. Your bottle looks more like old rust.

quQ7mkb.jpg

• Like 1

Funnily enough I was going to suggest the same thing, as the colour of your rotbraun looks pretty close to Vallejo's Light Rust

35899025636_d8022bb06d_b.jpg

AMMO make a similar shade, so I'm wondering if it's a case of mislabelling at the factory.

Andy

• Like 1