1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Got it. read it. :)

I dont recall finding the serials or aircraft "numbers" in there though. Do I need to look again..?

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I may still have some RN Bucc markings in 48th.

I'll have a butchers for you.

Ah, cheers, man.

Im bidding on some on ebay from the Airfix kit and have the Caruana jobbies downloaded, but printing those is hit n miss here. Options are brilliant and appreciated things. :)

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

I think Ive found the build guide re the fuselage join stuff on the Airfix forum - http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=44430

The chap who did that was lucky, in that the two halves of the radome actually meet up (and so do all the panel lines aft of it).  Mine didn't, and I don't think yours do either.  The only way I could get mine to marry up was, as described, to cut off one pointy end and shift it forwards.  This makes me think no two 1/48 Buccaneers are exactly alike: each has its own special problems.  If nothing else, building one gives you some practice in thinking up solutions.

• Like 1

I suspect you are correct, Sean.

My nose, well not mine, my Buccs does seem off and a cut looks like the only solution. But as you say, its good to learn and sort these things and I like a challenge. Kitty Hawk and KP failed to beat me, so lets see what Airfix can bring to the ring. :)

• Like 1

Slight hitch....

Decided I preferred the early Navy colours which means the fat bomb bay is incorrect (no worries, could rotate that so its open and lob some bombs in it) the bigger issue is a lack of Royal Navy decals and I got outbid at the last minute on the sheet I was watching.

Are there really no aftermarket options for the full stencils, markings, the lot for a 1/48 Navy Bucc? Seems crazy to me if there arent as the kit decals arent exactly brilliant.

19 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Slight hitch....

Decided I preferred the early Navy colours which means the fat bomb bay is incorrect...

Did your kit not come with both bomb bay door options? I have a "slim" door not being used if you need it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hairystick said:

Did your kit not come with both bomb bay door options? I have a "slim" door not being used if you need it.

I just double checked, no, only the bulged door in my boxing.

Thank you, very kind offer. If I can source a full Royal Navy decal sheet for it then I will be in touch.

• Like 1

Aaaahhh! Just spotted the stencils on the Granby sheets - http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=4&SUB=21&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=427&STKNR=427&STRH=3332&ORDN=2256&RNZ=997833

Would any of you Buccaneer experts know if they would be suitable for something along these lines:

p305588233-3.jpg

Obviously I would need to source the roundels, codes etc separately too but its a start. I hope....

You do realise, I hope, that is an early Buccaneer.

An S1 whilst your Airfix one has the bigger Spey engines of the S2 variant

Mind you with all the distortion you've had to cope with, slimmer intakes may be the least of your worries

I do love the ESDG and White scheme on the Navy Buccs, really classy

This is where you remind me I've missed something I hope, then I can scuttle off to play with my own Buccaneer instead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

You do realise, I hope, that is an early Buccaneer.

An S1 whilst your Airfix one has the bigger Spey engines of the S2 variant

Mind you with all the distortion you've had to cope with, slimmer intakes may be the least of your worries

I do love the ESDG and White scheme on the Navy Buccs, really classy

This is where you remind me I've missed something I hope, then I can scuttle off to play with my own Buccaneer instead

Aye, I see the little intakes of the S1, but I also found images of the S2 in those colours. Was just using that picture as an example as I really like that shot. :)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I don't think those decals would help you either, sorry. 😕

Lost me - which decals for what?

I think Ive found most of the Airfix ones for the scheme above, also for an S2, so should be ok with at worst some stencils missing/pinched from other sheets here to cobble stuff up. :)

• Like 1

@hairystick - Would that bomb bay door happen to still be available?
Its back up if nothing else for a rather hopeful attempt at having the "fat door" converted to an open position. :)

I was looking for a decent photo of the Buccaneer's camera pack when I found this one of an S2 at Lossiemouth (Obvious with Covesea Lighthouse in background)

I suspect though that this is an RAF S2B painted up as an 809 Sqn RN aircraft for their end of service bash. (and I just read the caption!)

avbucc5.jpg

If you can't sort out an un-bulged bomb bay door, Heritage do a nice 1/48 resin recce pack which would solve your problem.  That's how I plan to sort out my S1 when I get round to it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/206283-heritage-aviation-models-buccaneer-recce-pod

23 hours ago, RMP2 said:

@hairystick - Would that bomb bay door happen to still be available?
Its back up if nothing else for a rather hopeful attempt at having the "fat door" converted to an open position. :)

Yes, it is most certainly still available if you want it.

Just now, hairystick said:

Yes, it is most certainly still available if you want it.

Then youre a bloody star!

If youre sure you dont need it then Im pretty much there with all the bits for this nightmare build of an horrific kit. :)

Just now, hairystick said:

I've been called that a few times... "mon-star" or "disast-star" mostly!

PM your full address and I'll fossick around for some packaging for it.

Ah, man, the other side have done you wrong, dont listen to em.

I will PM my address on the understanding you let me know of anything youre short off that I might be able to help with. Beer tokens included. :)
Thanks for this, helps no end.

18 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I will PM my address on the understanding you let me know of anything youre short off that I might be able to help with. Beer tokens included. :)
Thanks for this, helps no end.

If you have spare "mojo" that would assist the Bucc build no end! I will however recommend that you retain as much as possible since you will be using vast quantities to get through your build!!

I have all the bits for my build, thanks to Hannants and Kits for Cash. I think it will return to the workbench much later on in the year, by which time I'll have forgotten about adding nose weight!

I have retrieved it from the spares box and it is sitting next to me. "Part 103" according to my penciled scribble inside. It even has the arrow inside to denote which end is forwards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

If you have spare "mojo" that would assist the Bucc build no end! I will however recommend that you retain as much as possible since you will be using vast quantities to get through your build!!

I have all the bits for my build, thanks to Hannants and Kits for Cash. I think it will return to the workbench much later on in the year, by which time I'll have forgotten about adding nose weight!

I have retrieved it from the spares box and it is sitting next to me. "Part 103" according to my penciled scribble inside. It even has the arrow inside to denote which end is forwards.

Hmm, for mojo regeneration I recommend a few sets of darts to throw at the empty and defaced box upon completion of the build before burning and stamping enthusiastically all over it. (helped with my KH Jag at least) Best not to do it in the house, mind.

Now, all I need is a photo of a Bucc with BL755s loaded up.....

• Like 1

Are we go on this rm, i don't blame you if it's a no ,especially "IF" the tan models one ever materializes ,but you've got me interested all the same,may the force be with you,

Glynn

9 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Now, all I need is a photo of a Bucc with BL755s loaded up.....

Not a Fleet Air Arm one, I think.  Plain 1000lb more likely (and the kit will let you down there as well).

On 7/15/2017 at 11:09 AM, Hewy said:

... i don't blame you if it's a no ,especially "IF" the tan models one ever materializes...

The latest from Tanmodel seems to indicate that they are focusing on other kits rather than devoting supreme efforts into the Bucc. It certainly is some way down the track, but like most things, the last 5% of the job takes 40% of the time/effort!

• Like 1