VC-10

bar side

No no no

Bad enough enticing him into making a 1/48 scale VC10, trying to con him into making it an inflatable is just disgusting

Take five hundred lines bzn20 and be careful

We're watching you know

🙅

He he

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T7 Models said:

I don't think any of the C.1s were painted grey until after the conversion to C.1K got underway (1992-1996). I'm certainly not aware of any grey C.1s.

They came back from Hurn after the C.1K conversion in the White top/Gloss Grey lower fuse  and wings. Dk Blue lightning bolt cheat line. I spoke to some ex BZN guys last night . One said late 90s the other who was there until 98 and said he never saw an overall grey C.1K. so best guess is they changed sometime after 98.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Is that Phantom a scratch build?

If you need one I've got  a foot pump for that VC10 !!

No the Phantom was a kit, the Dominie is my only scratch build too date. If only the VC10 would build itself with nothing but a bike pump!

• Like 1

I am getting the feeling that I can't totally park the idea now.  However I am not going to dive in to a full build.  Tempted to start off with a cockpit section and then see if I can build it back from there.  But I did start a 1/48 Apache that still needs some effort.  Was supposed to be a quick way build after the Dominie scratch build, but then I added motors....

• Like 1

The C1s virtually all had probes back on in 1990. I think only 2 were missing. They were a very useful crosswind indicator although on a flapless approach with the nose high they could hide the runway so a bit of guesswork was needed! We had about 3 crews receiver qualified so used to chase a tanker around the North Sea every so often to keep current.

The first C1K conversion (XV103?) was back at Brize in about Sept 1992 but I think there were a few problems so it was a long time before it was ready to use. I was supposed to be on the first crew to be trained on it but as my posting date approached 6 months later another crew trained first. Although the aircraft stayed in their traditional scheme the pods were in hemp and grey as per 101s jets.

Cheers

Glen

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Glen

I don't remember any probes in 90-92, I'd bet the house there weren't any fitted as I spent 99% of my time from March 88 on all VC10 fuel systems C1,K2 and K3s . In 91 We had leaks from redundant probe pipework in the fwd fuse though. It caused confusion ,couldn't work it out how and why the fuel was there at first. Everyone had forgotten the probes including the guys that wrote the servicing Sched. which is why the seals were shredded, none of that system was checked post probe removal, bit worrying !

In the Summer of 91  I did the fuel leak check on the first VC10 due for C1K conversion on behalf of the RAF and Brize with an ex 10 Sqn GE who was working for FR and signing the leak check on behalf of FR   on Pan 21.

We agreed the leaks so they'd be fixed at and by FR. I'm in still contact with him so will ask.

The first C.1K flew in 92 from FR/Cobham. I had a K2 at Abingdon, F Shed, we had no room in Base Hangar in late 91 and needed to remove the engines. I couldn't get any Engine stills or trollies because they were all in use at  either East Midlands Airport for the C.Mk. 1 rewire contract or at FR/Cobham Aerospace on the 1K conversion. Brize wouldn't let any go which wasn't surprising ! I spent ages on the phone with a 101 Sqn GE trying to get some. Took at least 2 weeks to get 2,then the others turned up a week after that.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Blimey ! Sorry Glen!

I'm beginning to think I was in a parallel universe after reading that link which was a good read BTW. I have no recollection of it or C.Mk 1 probe refits that early and definitely  didn't have anything to do with them in the hangar.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Still betting the house??

The house ? The new Family seem to like it...They said to say Shukran next time I contact you.

Sent from my new pad ............................................................................................................on the side of the A1 (M) Southbound

• Like 1

As well as looking at the options for a VC-10 I was considering a Fokker F27.  I printed off the F27 in 1/48 for a comparison

TLPr2fx.jpg

I have to say the F27 looks a much safer option for my next scratch project.  But a VC-10 cockpit section still seems viable. Some time later in the summer hopefully

Fokker-27-C-5.jpg

• Like 1