VC-10

bar side

Wanted to check some things about the RAF VC-10s.  Where they standard, super VC-10s or a mix?  Really thinking about those in service around 1980.  Also, anyone got the fuselage length i.e. total length minus tail rear overhang?  I have the total lengths as 48.36m for the standard and 52.32m for the super.

For some daft reason I was checking out what this would be in 1/48 - that's just over 1m for the standard!

Nice website http://www.vc10.net/index.html

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

The RAF VC10s in 1980 were 13 of the original 14 delivered, one went to Rolls Royce and had an RB211 fitted on the left instead of Nos 1&2 Conways . C.Mk1 .It was a Hybrid and a Hot Rod !. Standard fuse length. Super wings, Fin with fuel tank, Super engine rating ,Super Stub wings. Load bearing  Alloy floor for freight. Main Cabin freight door for loading freight.

The lengths we worked with were roughly 146 feet long and just under 147 wing span. Not 100% sure these figures were before the 6 foot added with the Kuchemann wing tips. I've really no idea after 20 years on them. It didn't mean anything ! On "overhangs" That can be worked out on the Drawing I mentioned.

There is a scale drawing of a C.Mk1 that you can take measurements off. I have a scan of it that can be blown up on the screen to bigger than you need or printed off. It is the best scale Drawing I've seen besides Vickers  engineering drgs. I can email you that, pm your email please.

The differences are in VC10 types is confusing. Wing fences vary. Ask about anything, I'll try and help. Are thinking of a scratch build ?

I've posted these many times. If you go through the VC10 threads they should come up.

Don't forget your email, you'll love the drawing!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T7 Models said:

a typical service compromise

It sure was and the best of all the VC10 types. Full up with Gurkhas and in and out of Kathmandu. Nothing could touch it.

22 minutes ago, tweeky said:

The biggest difference

How about..7- 44 Ball & Roller with Side Guidance and 4 pallets of Cluster Bombs going way down South ?;)!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

A 1/48th VC-10 would be amazing.. big, but amazing.

That would be something else.. I want one !

• Like 1

I tried scaling up a diagram today to see what it would be like.  Basically 8cm diameter fuselage is like two pringle tubes with  nose & tail

32qGjGy.jpg

Next to it is my scratch 1/48 Dominie.  And the picture looks to be short when measured up

And for the plan view

The wing tips are out of scale in this but the wingspan is about right

o6mXAsq.jpg

Simply don't have anywhere to put something that size.  Would be pretty impressive.

• Like 1

OOOO once you POP you can't stop , hope you don't anyway..Do you want that Scale Drawing emailing? Its got sections A-A, B-B type. Looks like you might need it.

Hopefully !

10 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Do you want that Scale Drawing emailing? Its got sections A-A, B-B type.

Think this is one for the back burner, but it might be handy if you have a copy to mail.  Definitely not starting anything for a few months, what with summer hols coming up and all.  It would build up like a big version of the Dominie I guess.  Fuselage would be easy enough - clear plastic tube 80mm x 700mm with nose & tail on.  But undercarriage & wings that size - now that would be a challenge, and it wouldn't even fit through the loft hatch in one piece.  Tempted to try something in between for the next scratch project, like a 1/48 Fokker F27.  But you have to try these ideas out for size, as it were.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

if you have a copy to mail

PM your email and I'll send you one !

While I am asking about vc-10s I was wondering about late 70s / early 80s colour scheme.  Were they still in white / grey or had they gone over to all over grey?

3 hours ago, bar side said:

While I am asking about vc-10s I was wondering about late 70s / early 80s colour scheme.  Were they still in white / grey or had they gone over to all over grey?

At least XV102 and/or '107 were still in the grey and white colours during Operation Corporate in 1982 IIRC.

Yes white/grey...the same white top, blue lightning bolt cheatline grey undersides, wings top and bottom, white fin and tail plane. from around 78 the Black radome went grey below the cheatline (that tapered off to the radome centreline and just in front of cockpit windows was white. I've got a stack of jpgs I can email you. BTW that scheme went beyond 1993 at least.

Edited by bzn20

Thanks guys - always liked the white grey with lightning bolt, but as it has the red/white/blue roundels I did wonder if it was gone by late 70s.  

Took the cardboard mockup to the 3D stage today to see scale.  Quite like the body size, but the wingspan is a killer.  

t0bdMZI.jpg

Always thought a 1/48 Phantom was quite big

• Like 2

but as it has the red/white/blue roundels I did wonder if it was gone by late 70s.  

No is the short and abrupt answer ! It and roundels carried on beyond 1993 until the evil tanker all over Grey look but I'd left by then.

You're fine with shiny 10 Sqn's C.Mk1 white ,Grey and proper Dk Blue cheat line and later on the later C1K. I haven't a year for when they changed but I know people that will. I'll get back to you on that.

Edited by bzn20

That didn't take long......The overall grey and therefore  two colour roundels started late 90s . Another just told me he left BZN in 98 and they weren't all over grey then.

Edited by bzn20

C.Mk1 Refueling Probes. They were built and delivered with them. At a point between 67 and 72 (when I got on them) The probes had been removed, not required. During the Falklands War 1982 a signal was sent to Eng Ops in the Terminal Building from 38 Gp. Strike to refit them. The receiving Chief/Tech, Eng Ops Controller sent one back ,haven't got any, they were scrapped years ago. 'Phone call came in a short while later. Scrapped? Under who's Authority? The Chief had pre planned for this and dug out the signal sent years before to remove and scrap them ready and gave him the Signal ref,date etc. The Strike Officer just said "Well its not good enough" and put the 'Phone down . Just so happened that that Chief was the J/T tasked with removing them years before! They didn't go back on until the C.1K conversion from around 93 ish .

So unless you are doing a C.1K with wing FR refuelling pods, C/L belly camera pod you won't be needing the probe.

Or if you do just fit a probe...Its back to the Black Radome look !

Just thought I'd tell you !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Is that Phantom a scratch build?

If you need one I've got  a foot pump for that VC10 !!