Spitfire Vb "SKAGEN Ind." (Danish pilot)

Spitfires is one area I really am lacking in knowledge; I've got a 1/72 AZ Spitfire Vb in paint now; am making it into the mount of a Danish pilot who flew with the RAF as a tribute to my Danish-American heritage.

I'm not sure how to address the fuselage band and the spinner; would they be the same color, possibly? And should I guess RAF Sky, or something different? 

Can't rely on a profile for true colors, I know, but at least this gives you an idea what I'm making:

yQSsIsE.jpg

QwOT3WP.jpg

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy

hmm, that spinner looks a lot like the Danish flag in tone, and the red in the fin flash... but that nose is in shadow,

But sky band and spinner were specified ID markings, so that's what they should be, and I've not seen a Spitfire from this era with non standard markings apart from small personal art and  inscriptions.

Note the wheels have covered hubs as well.

If you are  not up on Spitfires,  I really  recommend this

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

scans here

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

It's old, but an excellent primer,  is still my 'go to' guide for refreshing my memory of what happened when, and  in particular note page for the camo diagram, with dimensions for positioning roundels and camo demarcation lines.

HTH

T

• Like 1

I think it is just Sky in shadow (either natural or photographic)- note that the front of the cowling also looks very dark.  It isn't visually different enough for me to justify building a case that it is NOT what should normally be there.

I'm not seeing that to be honest. The tonal difference is huge. The spinner is closer to the Ocean Grey tone than the Sky either on that aircraft or the one next to it, but is close to the fin flash red from both aircraft.

There were plenty Spitfire Vs in Desert Scheme with red spinners. It's not so far fetched there was such an aircraft in Day Fighter Scheme.

Red was the specified spinner colour in the desert scheme, for recognition purposes, just as Sky was for home fighters.  Looking again, I do note that some of the "darkness" I mentioned would be the prop blade passing in front of the cowling.  From this image, all we can really say is that the spinner is a lightish colour, darker than white.  Sky is far and away the most likely answer fitting that criteria, however it might appear comparing to other "grey tones" in this image.

There's another photo here. And here, even better.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Build consists of:

-AZ Models Spitfire kit

-Squadron canopy

-Quickboost exhausts

-Master brass 20mm cannon

-aftermarket resin seat, can't recall the maker, sorry

QvS1BCN.jpg

Posting more pics in the Inspection forum: