Hawker Siddley Kestrel

I was recently gifted a part built Airfix 1/24 GR1 Harrier. I have this crazy notion to complete it as one of the development Kestrels.

From an external viewpoint, what would I need to change, apart from the obvious, like the main gear door, tailplane l/e and the rear fuselage shape?

Any Harrier experts out there with the knowledge please?

Cheers

Frank

Wow. That is quite a task. I did once convert the old Airfix P1127 (1/72) to a Kestrel and that was a much easier start point than you are contemplating !

I'd think you would also need to change the wing, p;an form being different, I suspect the vortex generators were differently placed. The outrigger gear, its fittings and its placement, the cockpit area and instrumentation obviously. The nose cone and quite possibly the canopy as well.

The Kestrel didn't have the blow open doors of the Harrier either. That was just after the early 1127s tested inflatable intake lips. I rather suspect that intake shape is notably different too.

My copy of Francis Mason's 'Harrier' gives some detail. Although the overall configuration was retained,the Harrier was totally different to the Kestrel in structural terms. The wing was heavily modified around the leading edge and at the tips.  About the simplest bit oft the change seems to be the tailplane !

The  SAM 'BAe Harrier' guide does show a couple,of photos oft the Kestrel, but that is all.   Try to find a copy of Francis Mason's book - that would be my start point.

Good luck ! 

John B

• Like 1

At Old Warden last weekend the Aviation bookshop had new book on the series from prototype to Harrier by Tony Buttler for £20. You might find what you want in there

Buttler book is good (and can be had for less than £20 - I think I paid £16 for my copy from the large river). It has some really good period close up photos of the Kestrel. It also has a drawing showing the changes to the wing leading edge, which shows how much needs to be removed. The undercarraige was different, both nose and outriggers.

As John says, the big challenge will be reprofiling the forward fuselage area. The engine nozzles also had a different number of vanes. The rear of the canopy and the windscreen were different too.

Somewhere I have an article in 1/72 on converting the Harrier GR1 to Kestrel which might be useful. Basically, there is little that stays the same

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. It looks like I will have to resort to plan B. As I said, this came part started - read large subsections. Much as I would like a Kestrel, or even a P1127, I suspect it will be far easier to produce a boring service machine. I will have a think about the next step.

Hi, Frank, I modified the 1/48 Monogram Harrier GR1/AV-8A to a Kestrel - it was on the NASA SIG stand at Telford last year, as I did one of the ones that ended up in the US.  Most of the points have been covered, but there are harder and easier options.  I went for one of the later wings that was not too far from the Harrier's.  Without my references, I would say wing planform, new outriggers, new vortex generators (needs them anyway), modified main and nose undercarriage legs to fit the different main doors and nose gear steering.  Revised fin shape, and removal of the aribrake are easy.  The intakes were fun, but I just angled the existing ones out a bit and then filled and sanded.  The canopy is a bit different, but you might get away with it.  The cockpit is so sparce that it is probably easier to make a Kestrel than a GR1!  I suggest the main challenge is the rivets - both to remove the sunken monstrosities on the kit, and to mark up the darker colour on the Kestrel.  I chickened out in 1/48 and just put them in with a riveting punch but did not colour them.

I agree with Dave Flemming - I wish I had had the Butler book as reference when I made the model.

Good luck if you go ahead - I think it is very do-able. A 1/24 GR3 is next but one on my plan for this year, once I get enough time at home to finish off a 1/24 Typhoon.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

Try to get the old Aerophile Extra on the AV-8/Harrier. It is somewhat US centric but luckily the US were deeply involved in the Kestrel, so there's lots of good info on it too. A very obvious point is the angular fairings in front of the front nozzles  (as on early development Harriers) vs. the "smooth " ones of production machines. IIRC the Kestrel went through so many configurations that a later one is much easier than an earlier one, let alone a P.1127.

Edited by tempestfan
Added example link
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Well I have just ordered the Buttler book. I can't bring myself to do a bog standard camo Harrier.

A few options for a GR1/AV-8A in that case without major conversion

- Spanish or Thai versions in grey

- delivery Spanish in grey with US markings

- USMC desert camouflage

- RAF or USMC Winter camo

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Raspberry ripple?

New nose & ferry wingtips?

I already have a T4 going into Raspberry Ripple in 1/72

Thing is this is a part built donation and I don't want to pull too much of it apart again.

I've already had to get a new clear sprue off Airfix, and some resin wheels came today. I have tanks on order as there are no stores apart from gun pods.

The Kestrel is still favourite.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Intakes and side fairings will be an interesting challenge, good luck!

I have the Heritage intakes coming, along with the drop tanks. I have a set of resin wheels.