Finnish Air Force Blenheim questions.

Vinnie

Hello all.

If you don't mind I will go slightly off topic; namely those over painted Finnish national insignias. During the Winter War my grand father served with Lentolaivue 28 ("No 28 Squadron") based at Sakyla in south-western Finland and later at Turku. The squadron was based on lake ice in Sakyla. One of the dispersal areas was located at our summer cottage. I still remember those steel fuel drums that were laying around with inscription "Esso - Lentojoukot" (Esso - Air Force) in our conservatories. That was in the 1970s and early 80s.

Between training flights with Morane MS406s and Hurricanes my grand father did all kind of "Silly Odd Jobs". He washed the white paint away from national insignias, tampered machine gun bullets with his friend and test shot all the Inglis High Power pistols that were issued to the flying personnel. Unless they were planning how to install heavier guns in a Morane... I guess many young Pilot Officers and Flight Sergeants were equally busy during the days of Battle of Britain.

I never asked my grand father how they actually washed anything when temperatures were between minus 30 and minus 40 degrees Celsius. And still he described what kind of temporary paint was used (at least it contained chalk and glue). Those who have experienced these temperatures know that your bare hand will stick instantly to metal if you touch it.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 4