ALQ-131 on F-4G

Trying to figure how to mount an ALQ-131 in the forward left Sparrow Well of a Desert Storm F-4G. I know on the pod itself (Hasegawa 1/72) where the two mounting brackets are, but no matter how much I look for photos of both actual aircraft and model builds, I can't figure out just exactly how far forward or aft in the well it goes (in fact, on posted models it varies considerably!). Does anyone have anything showing clearly its fore/aft position?

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy

I seem to recall that the aero5 bracket was also used for the gun pod ala the RAF Phantom if thats any help.

Andrew, I think one of the early Hasegawa weapons kits has a piece that might fit.  Just checked my stock and I don't have a set (Weapons Set IV), but I have a bunch of ALQ-131 pods and one piece of the mount for them, at least I think that's it.  It's a rectangular piece that has a couple of holes in the bottom and has a flat top with flaring sides.  It's very small, though.  It would fit in the Sparrow well and provide a mount for your pod.  Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Tom

1 hour ago, tmeyer said:

Andrew, I think one of the early Hasegawa weapons kits has a piece that might fit.  Just checked my stock and I don't have a set (Weapons Set IV), but I have a bunch of ALQ-131 pods and one piece of the mount for them, at least I think that's it.  It's a rectangular piece that has a couple of holes in the bottom and has a flat top with flaring sides.  It's very small, though.  It would fit in the Sparrow well and provide a mount for your pod.  Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Tom

The adapter you are thinking of is part B13, and it's in Hasegawa's 1/72 Aircraft Weapons: II set.

The instructions show it being used to mount the Pave Spike pod.

I have one in my spare weapons drawer.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Like 1

Thanks for the correction, Larry!  I wasn't sure.  Not sure the Pave Spike adapter would work with the ALQ-131, but it looked like it might work.  It was a start of sorts, anyway.

Guess I need to get the 1/72 Weapons II, III, and IV kits again.

Tom

Thanks folks! 

Tell you what I ended up doing, I was given an image of the actual adaptor, and I believe it's considerably longer than the Hasegawa piece referred to. So I took the photo and scratchbuilt it from a bit of shaped sprue, Phantom kit pylon braces and a lot of styrene. Here's the reference photo, and what I made:

NJtnrj3.jpg

KVqsw7R.jpg

EH5bE3A.jpg

wwDuo9Z.jpg

Yl2EVu6.jpg

NEXT QUESTION is if the ALQ-131 itself should be 37270 Neutral gray, or one of the Ghost/Compass grays....Desert Storm weasel ya know....

• Like 4

I have just looked through D&S's book on U.S. Aircraft and Armament of DS, and they just state either White, Green or Grey for the ALQ-131 pod. There is no specific paint colour for this pod, but for the ALQ-119 it does say FS36375 so perhaps this might be the Grey on the 131 pod.

I'm thinking that, at least in the photo near the top of this, that the lighter gray of the aircraft camouflage is a match for the pod, unless that's just lighting....at least in that one case, anyway.