Brief guide to using Flickr

Roy vd M.

Right, I seem to have figured it out.

Instead of copying the link into the 'insert image from URL' box I just paste it directly into this dialogue box and it appears as a link first then converts to the image almost instantly but how do I check the image is the right size for this forum to check I am doing it right.

Also, for my sanity, why does the usual method of using the' insert other media' button not work :angry:

Cheers

Gary

59 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi Guys

I knew this would happen, I try what has been suggested here and all that happens is when I paste the URL into the insert URL box it spins for a second then goes red and nothing happens.

This just sums up me and electronic devices, any suggestions please.

Thanks

Gary.

Hello,Gary - I'm in exactly the same boat and share your sentiments,My Friend.My latest build is ready for the finishing paint process and I hope to have the photo - posting problem resolved by then!?😳 Good luck.

All the very best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1

@Head in the clouds. Correct, you just use the dialog box to enter your image hyperlink. 

For image size I usually use the smallest of the three 'large' options. If you have a computer screen of very high resolution, that size still shows decent quality whereas it will always be displayed correctly for smaller-resolution screens. If necessary, it will be automatically reduced. 

4 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Also, for my sanity, why does the usual method of using the' insert other media' button not work

I think that's due to a forum software update of some months ago. The new method may take a bit of getting used to, but is faster and user-friendlier when you've gotten the hang of it. Not only can you simply enter an image link by just copying and pasting it into the dialog box, the same applies with Youtube videos. Just copy the video link and paste it into the dialog box: the video will be displayed within the new post. 

3 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Gary - I'm in exactly the same boat and share your sentiments,My Friend.My latest build is ready for the finishing paint process and I hope to have the photo - posting problem resolved by then!?😳 Good luck.

All the very best,Paul.😉👍

Hope the above solves your problem. If any issues remain, feel free to describe them in this topic or send me a PM. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

@Head in the clouds. Correct, you just use the dialog box to enter your image hyperlink. 

For image size I usually use the smallest of the three 'large' options. If you have a computer screen of very high resolution, that size still shows decent quality whereas it will always be displayed correctly for smaller-resolution screens. If necessary, it will be automatically reduced. 

I think that's due to a forum software update of some months ago. The new method may take a bit of getting used to, but is faster and user-friendlier when you've gotten the hang of it. Not only can you simply enter an image link by just copying and pasting it into the dialog box, the same applies with Youtube videos. Just copy the video link and paste it into the dialog box: the video will be displayed within the new post. 

Hope the above solves your problem. If any issues remain, feel free to describe them in this topic or send me a PM. 

Hello and many thanks,Roy. I admit to be 'seriously lacking' in computer skills and expertise.I only use an 'iPad' and hope that this will be adequate.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2017 at 4:17 PM, MDriskill said:

I use the Flickr app on my iPad. I simply cannot find any way to access an individual photo's URL from it. If someone has an insight into what I'm doing wrong, I'd very much appreciate it.

Hello,MDriskill - I'm in just the same position as your goodself.All was fine in using PhotoBucket before they became greedy so surely there must be a way somehow to be able to use Flickr.I'll follow your post eagerly and hope we can learn and benefit from it.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I mostly use an iPad for posting photos. Currently (until Flickr changes something) the easiest way to get a photo from Flickr to Britmodeller (assuming you have successfully uploaded photos from your iPad to Flickr) is to tap on the image in your photostream that you want to transfer to BM. This will bring up the individual photo - screenshot of the individual photo after tapping on it in my photostream from my iPad:

IMG_9857

I am currently doing this through Safari so I don't know if it will work though other browsers but I assume so. 

Then tap tap lightly on the address bar at the top where there is the lock image and flickr.com:

IMG_9858

The page should change to this with the full address for the photo appearing highlighted in the bar:

IMG_9859

Next tap lightly on the highlighted address and the Cut/Copy/Paste/Paste and Go dialogue box should appear:

IMG_9860

Tap on Copy and then go to the place on Britmodeller you want to paste it - either in a Reply box or Start New Topic box. 

Next get the blue flashing cursor in the place on the page you want the photo to appear - usually somewhere on the left side of the page - ideally not after text. This dialogue strip should appear:

IMG_9861

Tap on Paste and the photo's address should appear briefly before changing into your chosen photo:

IMG_9692

Finally click on the X that appears on the bottom of the Britmodeller text box so the image isn't changed to only the link text.

Now there may be variations depending on whether you have the same version of Safari as I have but, hopefully, the above may be of some use to new Flickr users.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 2

On 12/08/2017 at 16:17, MDriskill said:

I use the Flickr app on my iPad. I simply cannot find any way to access an individual photo's URL from it. If someone has an insight into what I'm doing wrong, I'd very much appreciate it.

If your using the Flickr app for your iPad it should be easy. 

I use Flickr through my iPhone.

basically  click the image you want to find the URL of 

at the bottom of your screen it should give you 4 options 

1 ) ✏️ 

2) 💬 

3) ℹ️ 

4) ⤴️ 

Hit the arrow to forward the image and it should just come up with a (copy URL) button. 

The app makes it so much easier 

however I have found uploads incredibly slow recently!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi all. I mostly use an iPad for posting photos. Currently (until Flickr changes something) the easiest way to get a photo from Flickr to Britmodeller (assuming you have successfully uploaded photos from your iPad to Flickr) is to tap on the image in your photostream that you want to transfer to BM. This will bring up the individual photo - screenshot of the individual photo after tapping on it in my photostream from my iPad:

IMG_9857

I am currently doing this through Safari so I don't know if it will work though other browsers but I assume so. 

Then tap tap lightly on the address bar at the top where there is the lock image and flickr.com:

IMG_9858

The page should change to this with the full address for the photo appearing highlighted in the bar:

IMG_9859

Next tap lightly on the highlighted address and the Cut/Copy/Paste/Paste and Go dialogue box should appear:

IMG_9860

Tap on Copy and then go to the place on Britmodeller you want to paste it - either in a Reply box or Start New Topic box. 

Next get the blue flashing cursor in the place on the page you want the photo to appear - usually somewhere on the left side of the page - ideally not after text. This dialogue strip should appear:

IMG_9861

Tap on Paste and the photo's address should appear briefly before changing into your chosen photo:

IMG_9692

Finally click on the X that appears on the bottom of the Britmodeller text box so the image isn't changed to only the link text.

Now there may be variations depending on whether you have the same version of Safari as I have but, hopefully, the above may be of some use to new Flickr users.

Kind regards,

Stix

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Impressive photos of impressive models! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

Please accept my sincerest thanks and appreciation,Dear Stix.Your kind and invaluable assistance and direction has enabled me to overcome what was,to me,a baffling obstacle.I just need to get some models built now!!😉👍All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Thanks for the info to date most informative..

I have a question perhaps some one could point me in the right direction 

I'm using windows 10 on a laptop, so far no problems with loading pics and linking them.

What I would like to do is have multiple albums within one header album.

i.e. HMS BM containing sub folders hull, armament, superstructure etc,

Any help would be appreciated

Kev

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this to the top for visibility due to people's recent issues with Flickr.  Follow this guide and you'll be set.  Note that the official Flickr App for phones and tablets DOES NOT have the facility to copy and paste a URL in the form that the forum software can understand.  This is a major oversight on their part, so contact them and ask them to add it in future.

Thanks Mike. 

To simplify the how-to, I 'optionalized' the last step of removing the image and url tags. It is not required to do this but I personally prefer it, so that no hyperlink is shown below the picture.

New text, in small print:  

Option:

Finally and alternatively (you're not required to do this!), select and delete all BBCode before and after the link. That's a short bit of text starting with "[ url" and ending with "img ]" before the link, and all text from "[ /img" after the link. Selecting by pressing and holding your left mouse button, then deleting the selected parts, works fastest for me. If you don't perform this step there's no problem but a link to your picture and Flickr account appears in the text. I personally feel that slightly distracts from the picture. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Note that the official Flickr App for phones and tablets DOES NOT have the facility to copy and paste a URL in the form that the forum software can understand.  This is a major oversight on their part, so contact them and ask them to add it in future.

The Flickr App worked fine on the forum until a few days ago.. 

15 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Same as above the app copy url code worked fine right up until the last site reboot. Now it just comes up with a message of can't embed blah blah.

Consider this.  Invision didn't change the code - I rebooted the site for an OPERATING SYSTEM update to take effect, which is NOTHING to do with the forum, just the server.  Then the hosts changed a whole bunch of IP addresses during a massive reorganisation, which DID NOT affect the site, just its connectivity with the outside world.  It's most likely that Flickr updated their app and changed how things worked?  URLs that don't end with a .jpg or .png have never and will never work on the forum, and their URL does not end with those two options, so there's where the trouble lies.

As I have said many times, it's got nothing to do with the forum.  Speak to Flickr, although from what people have already said, you won't get much sense out of them.

Never point the finger firmly at bm just pointing out my experience since the update as I mainly use the flickr app copy url code for pictures. Like I say It worked before and now doesn't, hopefully where ever the issue is in the big ole internet it gets fixed soon but until then with the help of the community I have found a way to post that works for me. 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23

3 hours ago, ModellerUK said:

Is flickr the way to go now instead of photo bucket? 

Depends. Some use it without problems, whilst others it seems, at having no end of them. I've been using Village Photos for a couple of years without any problems, touch wood.

John.

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Depends. Some use it without problems, whilst others it seems, at having no end of them. I've been using Village Photos for a couple of years without any problems, touch wood.

John.

Thanks, I usually use photobucket but keep getting those announcements up instead of the photo's so may try flickr.

Just incase people haven't realised yet. The issue we were having recently with  ot being able to imbed the flickr app copy code has been fixed so those of us using android or iOS no longer have to go to the website and use the bb code. 

Shaun 

• Thanks 2