Female Lieutenant 1942

JackG

I had planned a ww2 vehicle subject for this one, but when I came across this wartime photo, my brain began to wonder how this could come to life here in this GB.

34837958744_058fb51902_b.jpg

No information exists on her, an 'unknown soldier' if you will.  Rank style on the collar indicates a 1942 or earlier time frame.

Below is a colourized  version:

35639469946_8c46e13602_b.jpg

I've settled on a generic resin bust from Nocturna models.

$_1.JPG

Will have to sculpt the uniform and hat, and for the hair have ordered some viscose, a material used as hair in the doll making hobby/industry.

I will try fixing the face a bit, though doubt will achieve a 100% likeness.  Below Have already chopped the jaw off in order to close her mouth and shorten her face slightly.

35291826890_5ffc417ee6_o.jpg

I know, it looks more like something from a zombie movie, but should get better...

regards,

Jack

• Like 8

Hello Steve, thorfinn, Robert and Peter - thank you all for the interest in this one.

This one is definitely a learning experience for me.  I have a little experience with sculpting (most recently being the Red Sonja figure), but the hair product will be totally new to me, and along with it how to fashion loop braids.

3ec1e3063331134a70133c1abbc94056.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Jack-

I did much admire your Red Sonja via the 'other site' GB, so this should be a real treat. Can't offer much advice, as I'm in the same (rather leakier) boat---a little sculpting in general, and not much more than resculpting of hair---so I'm particularly intrigued by your choice for material, and hope to pick up a few pointers.

No pressure :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Robert, thank you for posting that tutorial.

Yes, definitely will be rolling some putty to sculpt the uniform and hat.  For her braids, I would need to do round lengths of putty instead of flat sections.  The advantage here is the fingers can take a break without worrying the braids will untwine. 

I will try the viscose fiber first and see how it goes.  Been watching some youtube vids on dutch braiding, and yeah it's a bit more complicated than tying one's shoelaces.

It involves three sections of hair being intertwined with the middle one, and as you work your way towards the back, keep adding more sections of hair:

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bench finally cleared of the Gustav,  now can concentrate on this one.

Got some facial reconstruction done, just have to wait 24 hrs for the putty to dry.  Then can do some sanding where required, maybe a bit more build of the cheeks - will see.

36412760661_cbf3fe45e2_b.jpg

1.)  Added a bit of brow thickness with green putty, but also sanded down the bridge of the nose.  Also widened the philtrum (area between nose and upper lip).

2.)  Test fit of jaw, and some work done to lips via more thickness and shape.

3.)  Jaw  pinned in place as well as apoxie sculpt, which was smoothed over the open seams.

4.)  More green stuff putty.  Neck thickened as well as bottom of nose.  Stronger jaw line and more to cheek areas.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 6

Thanks kindly, Peter.

A sculpt that includes the upper body  or partial  torso would be termed a bust.

I've made good progress with the garrison hat, called the 'pilotka':

36629644685_6ae184f558_b.jpg

I first covered the bust with a thin plastic (cellophane?) for several reasons.  First to maintain the rest of the figure clean of putty, to keep the hat separate from the head afterwards for painting purpose, and lastly just in case it doesn't work out.

The sculpting was done in two sessions.   First the outer shell was made, this appears as the darker green putty.  Next day, I added the two raised sections in the middle.  I've since removed the hat and started clean up with sandpaper and a little trimming to fine tune the shape.

regards,

Jack

• Like 6

Thank you thorfinn and John.

I think I might have found the subject's name.  Doing a reverse image search brought me to a Russian blog, where someone claimed it was their grandmother who was a medical officer at Sevastopol.  Someone argued that they were lying because he could not reveal her name and posted this link:

http://education.simcat.ru/school59/museum/6

Her b/w photo is sandwiched between two other females but I'm not sure if they are one in the same.  The image files all share the name stepanova_danilova, but could be just credit to the photographer's name, or maybe a combination of the subject's first name and photographer's last name?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

For my money those three photos are of the same person taking into account the eyes nose & mouth characteristics. Certainly in the 1st two head & shoulders photos, less easy to be sure with the full length photo due to the quality of the print.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I think you are right - definitely see the same characteristics in the eyes and mouth.  The nose is a bit difficult to compare because of the harsh lighting in the 1941 photo.   There is a five year difference between the two pics, and combined with the stress of war - that will definitely change the physical looks.

------------------------------------------------------

On another note,  I think I will go with the subdued collar ranks after seeing this photo:

perm-russia-july-historical-reenactment-

It is a reenactor,  but the collar tabs are quite dark and reflect what I see in the b/w photo I'm using.    About the red collar markings, this type of rank system was used until 1943, when shoulder boards replaced them.   Officially the colourful tabs were discontinued by an order dated July 1940, with ranks displayed in subdued green and no branch colours.  So to be totally accurate I should make them green, but have read this changeover was slow and not immediately widespread, and even as late as during the Stalingrad battles, coloured ones could be found.

soviet+collar+tabs+ranks.jpg

... and I also found this site, perfect for giving the measurements of the rank collar tabs:

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://broneboy.ru/

Razmer_petlic_RKKA.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

Looks like good progress, and some useful research, this is interesting to watch

p.s. The BBC (Radio 4) book of the week a few weeks back was about Russian women soldiers experiences in the GPW. The Unwomanly Face of War, 31st - 4th (July/Aug?), it's still on iPlayer.  They had a difficult time of it, both during and after the war.

• Like 1

Thank you Peter and Robert.

Things aren't progressing as quickly as hoped, but nevertheless,  past week was spent on the torso:

36807998475_54fbaac2e0_b.jpg

On the left is just filling in with large wads  of putty to get an appropriate volume look to wearing of the early style jacket, known as the gimnasterka.

Then the fun began with adding details in the form of pockets and center flap (buttons hidden), followed by some cloth wrinkles.  Those on her right need to be sanded down.  Have also added the beginnings of the collar.  What's there now is just the inner section, which will be trimmed to shape before accepting the  collar lapels.  Still need to add some semblance of her upper arms as well.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 5

Thank you thorfinn and Peter.

Final details are now sculpted - upper arms, collar lapels, rank tabs and a raised seam across the tops of the shoulder.

36096877924_c838782f8b_b.jpg

A coat of grey primer is on, and can spot a few rough spots that need some touch ups.  The chin too, looks like I undercut it a tad too much, so need to address that too.

regards,

Jack

• Like 5